Author Topic: Learning as I go.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
Learning as I go.
« on: June 22, 2013 - 03:56:18 PM »
First I want to thank the knowledgeable members on this sight. Without you being honest with me I wouldn't
know the truth about my Cuda. So I now realize its incomplete. So far I'm missing the front fender gills and a complete
Shaker hood setup. I think everything else is complete on it.
Well just how much does it cost to have the gills installed? Or how much does a shaker hood setup run?
I'm guessing its pricey but I do want to finish this car. Just may take some time.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Learning as I go.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013 - 07:23:43 PM »
You can get an aftermarket shaker hood from AMD (Auto metal Direct).  :2thumbs: They run about $900 bucks. here's a link:

https://www.autometaldirect.com/?option=com_netlinkbridge&view=search&Itemid=111&prod_cat=&selectedcat=&search=shaker+hood&keywordsearchsubmit=

Matt B.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013 - 07:27:02 PM by moparmaniac59 »
Matt

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013 - 08:21:43 PM »
Dave at Roseville Moparts will have the fender gills as I just saw them in the shop the other day.  He will also have shaker parts or know where to get them.   cc.com members get a discount there so mention that is where you are from.   

Offline Haddixj

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013 - 08:27:44 PM »
Figured I would answer you here on your post instead of in pm. I agrees with all of them although it would be hard to color match your paint I would think if you bought all new parts 

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013 - 09:25:20 PM »
Thanks guys. Im guessing my car took a beating in whatever movie it was used in back in the 70s. Then someone replaced
all the front fenders and hood. Can't believe someone would trash an original shaker hood 71 Cuda. Oh well I've been lucky in life
and owned it for 26 years without really knowing what I had! So it may be awhile until I finish it. I think I'll start
with putting the gills back on it.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013 - 09:28:01 PM »
Haddixj I still haveone paint can from when it was repainted in 92. Just checked its still liquid so that should help whoever ends up painting the shaker hood whenever I get it.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013 - 09:37:44 PM »
Duane Schram down in Colorado Springs Made sure I kept that paint can In case I wanted to ever fully restore
My Cuda. I remember him telling me I should have had him put the car back to original. He framed off my car back in 91.
This old Jarhead was stubborn and didn't listen. Oh well I have a son now and this Cuda will get back to shaker hood 71 form.

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013 - 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Im guessing my car took a beating in whatever movie it was used in back in the 70s. Then someone replaced
all the front fenders and hood. Can't believe someone would trash an original shaker hood 71 Cuda. Oh well I've been lucky in life
and owned it for 26 years without really knowing what I had! So it may be awhile until I finish it. I think I'll start
with putting the gills back on it.

Didn't have to be beat on and thrashed to have the "goodies" removed. Those were some valuable $$ parts that would bring the bucks at the swap meet or save some bucks fixing up another car. Like I said in another one of your threads, I had a similar experience with a '71 Cuda that was originally a 340 4-spd Shaker car. The previous owner before me replaced the gilled fenders with slick ones, replaced the Shaker with a J54 "double-bubble" hood, and replaced the 340 with a 383. He pulled all the good stuff off of the car for some other car project he was building. It was a fairly common practice back in the '70's and early '80's and I did the same myself more than once. I don't think the words "factory correct" and "restoration" really came into vogue until the late 80's about the same time that the muscle car prices went verticle and took off for the moon.
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013 - 02:46:17 AM »
Didn't have to be beat on and thrashed to have the "goodies" removed. Those were some valuable $$ parts that would bring the bucks at the swap meet or save some bucks fixing up another car. Like I said in another one of your threads, I had a similar experience with a '71 Cuda that was originally a 340 4-spd Shaker car. The previous owner before me replaced the gilled fenders with slick ones, replaced the Shaker with a J54 "double-bubble" hood, and replaced the 340 with a 383. He pulled all the good stuff off of the car for some other car project he was building. It was a fairly common practice back in the '70's and early '80's and I did the same myself more than once. I don't think the words "factory correct" and "restoration" really came into vogue until the late 80's about the same time that the muscle car prices went verticle and took off for the moon.
I hear you Tom. But I do remember now that the guy we bought it from was adament that I restore to original
form . I understand now because for the first time in 26 years I finally looked at the fender tag. With the help of this
sight and all the great info on it I understand my whole story with this car. Talking to my Mom and recollecting on when
she bought it for me we recalled what he told us. The car was beat up in some movie and he bought it as a real Mopar
Man. He had already restored a hemi Cuda, a Super bird and some special Duster. The GTX 440 was a beauty. Burnt
Orange with white final top white interior.440 GTX down the sides. All original unrestored. He said that I needed to restore
My Cuda someday to its original form. Well until recently I thought wrongly that it was. So my journey to put it back now begins.
Cheers

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013 - 06:58:48 AM »
So do you guys think I should buy the gills and have my current quarters cut to fit them or should
I buy new quarters that are already cut for the gills? Being that my current front quarters are not original,
I want to go the route that is easiest and economical .

Offline crocha617

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013 - 07:10:24 AM »
There are guys out there that can stamp the gills in those fenders and they come out nice. Not sure where you are but I recently talked to the guy in CT and he only does them once in awhile now when his dad visits from Florida. They charge $200 each. There are other guys around also. You can buy a new AMD pair for $500 or so each. The repop shakers can be had for under $600 now. Order the 3 pieces and you can get them shipped for $125 total.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013 - 09:43:44 PM »
Cool. I'll have to wait till next spring to order them.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013 - 09:56:55 PM »
There are guys out there that can stamp the gills in those fenders and they come out nice. Not sure where you are but I recently talked to the guy in CT and he only does them once in awhile now when his dad visits from Florida. They charge $200 each. There are other guys around also. You can buy a new AMD pair for $500 or so each. The repop shakers can be had for under $600 now. Order the 3 pieces and you can get them shipped for $125 total.
I hear the AMD parts fit well. Where are you seeing them for those prices?