Author Topic: House prices rebounding. Will muscle cars follow?  (Read 6190 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: House prices rebounding. Will muscle cars follow?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013 - 02:26:48 AM »
I don`t think  house and musclecar prices are related in any way.  My guess is 10 or 20 yrs from now we will have a hard time selling these cars simply because there won`t be enough musclecar lovers left. To me it seems the younger generation couldn`t care less for these machines.
When I was a kid, half the boys in my class were car crazy... go count them now...    :dunno:
*** Bart ***

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013 - 08:35:56 AM »
I don`t think  house and musclecar prices are related in any way.  My guess is 10 or 20 yrs from now we will have a hard time selling these cars simply because there won`t be enough musclecar lovers left. To me it seems the younger generation couldn`t care less for these machines.
When I was a kid, half the boys in my class were car crazy... go count them now...    :dunno:

I'm doing my part.... got 3 car crazy boys!  :aarg: :roflsmiley:  My concern is when they pry the keys from my dead cold fingers that they don't fight over it!
 :thinkerg:
" See honey ( he says to the wife) this is why we need a 69 Charger and a 70 RoadRunner! "  :grinyes:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013 - 09:13:52 AM »

I'm doing my part.... got 3 car crazy boys!  :aarg: :roflsmiley:  My concern is when they pry the keys from my dead cold fingers that they don't fight over it!
 :thinkerg:
" See honey ( he says to the wife) this is why we need a 69 Charger and a 70 RoadRunner! "  :grinyes:

O... so now a GTX isnt good enough???  :scared:

:smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013 - 10:55:10 AM »
O... so now a GTX isnt good enough???  :scared:

:smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

HEY! I'm the one supposed to be bugging you? :clueless: :roflsmiley:

Satellite, Road Runner , GTX, all the same thing!  :poopoke: :lol: actually I'd be happy with a plain old Satellite till you finally give me my GTX! :bigsmile:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013 - 05:32:27 PM »
 :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :2thumbs:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013 - 05:44:04 PM »
Not sure what area, but on a local Boston station I heard this morning housing went up 12%.  :dunno:

Not sure if the muscle car craze will be back as crazy as it was with the $2.5 million Cuda.  The baby boomers really wanted those cars and they may no longer want these cars as much in general.  Some more desireable may still fetch big dollars at auction but I don't think muscle cars will go up at the same rate as housing.  Housing is a necessity, these cars, as nice and fun as they are, are not a necessity.  :2cents:  (Well, maybe to some they are a necessity.  ;) )
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013 - 06:07:29 PM »

Dutch, I agree with you on the first sentence. But...
Even if the economy improves, I think folks will be cautious to spending large amounts for classic/muscle cars. I think they will be gun shy on future economy health and be more frugal with their pay checks. All it takes to blow the economy is a bowel movement from any third world country. I sneezed last night and the "futures" did have a wobble for a short bit  :biggrin:. Our economy is largely driven from other countries now, not just our own. It's just way too unstable and will be this way for a very long time if not forever.
Not sure why you said there won't be enough muscle cars left over. Not even sure what that means with the rest of your statement.
But I do believe muscle cars will still hold a very good value BUT the selling/buying activity will be slower, hence the future/economy.
There are thousands of younger folks that will hit the muscle car market in 10 to 20 years, just like many of us are doing today.
Now I will add, they may not be able to rebuild or restore these classics (the shady tree mechanic days are slowly drifting) but they will want them to drive and brag (and get girls  :2thumbs:).
And let me reflect one positive note of fact. The younger generation today is kicking in on music we grew up when we were younger (60s, 70s, 80s) and commercials using that music is proof (along with my 22 year old son  :2thumbs:) He loves the classic rock like his dad  :2thumbs:. SO that same drive will also reflect with classic/muscle cars IMHO.
BTW, I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.  :bigsmile:

But that IS my gut feeling.
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013 - 06:37:28 PM »
Well as a 20 year old, I worry about muscle cars because of what has been said above.  My generation just doesn't appreciate them.  Its a sad sight.  I've rolled up to a bunch of people around my age and I get some looks, but they're still over there checking out someones latest diesel truck.  My generation wants something that rides like a cadillac and has all the latest features on the inside and out.  They don't appreciate the stripped down, pure power muscle cars.

As far as the economy goes, I can tell ya as a 20 year old looking into careers and house and everything else that the housing market is scary as heck and the job market is scary as heck.  I don't think this country will ever be as good as we once were in our prime.  Is it still the greatest country on earth? Sure it is.  Will we see some good times in the future, better than right now? Maybe so.  But I think we have all been lulled to sleep (especially my generation) with how bad things are out there.  Unemployment has been over 7% for 6 years, and thats a phony number because it only went that low because ppl who dropped out of looking for work are no longer counted.  It also doesn't count those who had a full time job and are now having to take part time work.  Real unemployment is around 10-14%.  7% is unacceptable.  Our debt is so big, we just kinda forget about what a factor it is....Just think about this- You have a whole generation coming up (my generation) who thinks 9% unemployment is the norm.  That thinks $4 gal/gas is the norm.  That thinks we are owed something, whether it be free school or free health care, or what have you. Don't forget about the degradation of our culture.  My generation doesn't know anything about television shows that aren't filthy.  My generation doesn't know songs that aren't trash as well.  My generation not only doesn't follow the Good Lord, but downright hates him and anyone who stands for his name.  I looked at some numbers the other day of unemployment and stuff like that in the booming economy of the 80s, and the economy of the 90s.  It seems so far away.  Those numbers were so good, and anyone will tell you that they were good times.  These are not good times.....and just think.  If a bill that Clinton signed in the 90s, requiring housing loans be given to people who can't afford them, is responsible for quite a bit of this Great Recession (and that was done in a booming time when no one was paying attention), just think of what's gonna happen 10-15 years down the line when everything that is being done now reeks havoc on this economy.  That's why I say, our peak best days are so far behind us...we aren't even close to them. But I do pray the housing market does come back, and the job market begins to thrive again.   :2cents:....now I need to go drive the Challenger cause my above post got a little too deep for me hahahaha  :burnout:
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013 - 07:47:38 PM »
NCTC,

You have said a lot there and know how frustrating these days may look. But I'm living life like THESE are my peak days. I won't look back. I'm almost 49 and yes, a lot have changed. But I'm living the dream.
I won't argue the price of fuel, food, housing and everything else is up. I know that. But you forgot to mention wages are way up versus back in the 70s and 80s along with everything else.
I think the attitude of generations have changed. People expect things handed to them instead of work for them. The common "work your ass off" is slowly fading away, along with our rights. I'm won't go further into that because it is what it is.
BUT, the fact of making money, saving money and buying things you NEED and WANT are still in place.
I am not a political person. I work, enjoy life and live each day the best I can. And when I get my Cuda on the road, my life will peak even further.
Live the dream like there is not tomorrow.

If you ain't haven fun... you're doin it wrong.
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013 - 08:22:58 PM »
NCTC,

You have said a lot there and know how frustrating these days may look. But I'm living life like THESE are my peak days. I won't look back. I'm almost 49 and yes, a lot have changed. But I'm living the dream.
I won't argue the price of fuel, food, housing and everything else is up. I know that. But you forgot to mention wages are way up versus back in the 70s and 80s along with everything else.
I think the attitude of generations have changed. People expect things handed to them instead of work for them. The common "work your ass off" is slowly fading away, along with our rights. I'm won't go further into that because it is what it is.
BUT, the fact of making money, saving money and buying things you NEED and WANT are still in place.
I am not a political person. I work, enjoy life and live each day the best I can. And when I get my Cuda on the road, my life will peak even further.
Live the dream like there is not tomorrow.

If you ain't haven fun... you're doin it wrong.

You're spot on there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Heard people say before "If you're dreams don't scare ya, you ain't dreaming big enough" and that's exactly right. Enjoy that Cuda!!!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013 - 08:33:57 PM »
Ya, cost of things like fuel, electricity, etc. have gone up but so has our standard of living. My parents had one full time income and occasionally a part time income, used cars, no cell phone bill, no cable bill (TV with 5 channels!), hardly ever went out to eat, bought coffees, bought lunch etc., got hand me down clothes etc. etc. If you look at how we live now I think we have it pretty good compared what people had 20,30, 50 years ago yet all we do is ***** about how bad things are.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013 - 09:01:59 PM »
I for one think if anything the economy is worse now than it was just a few years ago. All around me I know people who are getting laid off and cant find work other than occasional part time.
Two people in my family have weathered tough times at work over the past 6 years are just now getting laid off after 20-30 year careers, and companies now seem to be preparing for obamacare by turning everyone into part timers.
Sad really.  :'(
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013 - 11:21:11 PM »
I'm with Dutch aka Bart on this one. Muscle cars and house prices don't even compare and IMO both is a lost cause. Far as muscle cars go there are VERY few new genration kids who give a crap less bout old muscle cars period, i see alot of that. I do all i can to keep the interest of the youngins but i see it as a losing battle more and more everyday. This is the "ME" generation and they could care less about old cars. Far as housing goes... well i'll say this... i work at a custom kitchen cabinet shop in the finishing department and lets say even those who can afford buying custom made cabinets are holding on to thier money... so whats thats tellin ya  :eek4:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013 - 11:53:10 PM »
This economy is a very funny (not really) thing. I don't believe half of what TV or the net says about anything. I hear the hardship stories every day, neighbors, customers, other small business owners. Yes the unemployment numbers are going down... but things were so bad some retired, others quit looking for work. More college grads working @ mickey D's. And at the same time, we've been looking for a guy at the shop for over a month. We've had apps that's for sure, but someone qualified for the position....  :grinno: :grinno:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013 - 12:24:41 AM »
More on topic....soooo what are these cars worth/where's the market headed.
If they are to be believed Hagarty has a valuation tool  http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch
You get a few free look ups before you have to join or clear your browser cache.

For instance a 70 RT/SE 383 in Dec '06 top value was 35K, today 45K....up 10K
                   a 73 Ralley 340  ..............."...................24K today 39.5K..up 15.5K...I find that hard to believe LOL
                   a 71 Cuda  340  ................"..................63.8K today 61.8K..down 2K
                   a 71 Hemi Cuda Vert.........."...................2.4M  today 1.3M...down 1.1M.... glad you have a '73? I am :)   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013 - 12:28:08 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!