Author Topic: header problems  (Read 855 times)

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
header problems
« on: July 10, 2013 - 07:35:01 PM »
hey guys,
Bought a set of Dougs Headers (452's) I believe. Fit right on the engine with some modifications to the flange to clear the head studs. Lowered the car over the engine and all was going well until I went to bolt up the cross member. While jacking up the rear of the tranny the Pass. side header is hitting the torsion bar not allowing me to put the tranny mount bolt in. I need to go up about another inch. Has anyone used these headers before or had this happen? Dougs headers advertise there might have to modify the flange, which I did and a mini- is all that is needed. Input would appreciated.

Thanks Ray
keep honking I'm reloading

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
Re: header problems
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013 - 08:02:49 PM »
guess I could have stated the details. duh!! 1970 cuda with I believe a late 70's 440 with an automatic tranny.

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013 - 01:34:32 AM »
I just figured it out. Originally I bolted the crossmember to the car, then raised the tailend of the tranny into the crossmember. The fit was tight and the bushing was pinched causing me to raise the past where it would sit. Once I removed the crossmember from the car and placed it on the tranny the fit for the crossmember to the body was nicer and it worked. Very tight fit still with about an 1/8 onch between header and torsion bar. One of those little we learn while doing.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013 - 04:15:19 AM »
I just figured it out. Originally I bolted the crossmember to the car, then raised the tailend of the tranny into the crossmember. The fit was tight and the bushing was pinched causing me to raise the past where it would sit. Once I removed the crossmember from the car and placed it on the tranny the fit for the crossmember to the body was nicer and it worked. Very tight fit still with about an 1/8 onch between header and torsion bar. One of those little we learn while doing.

you could give the header a wack to make that clearance 1/4+ inches instead of 1/8.  Once things heat up, or car is on the ground, may start hitting.
A wack is better than a hole from wear.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000