Author Topic: V-code '70 Challenger found, worthwhile?  (Read 848 times)

Offline Bondavi

V-code '70 Challenger found, worthwhile?
« on: March 26, 2005 - 11:06:36 PM »

I'm the one who posted last week about the Plum Crazy with black interior and white top '70 R/T I got for $6100.

Today I went back to have a look at some of his other cars. There was a '72 G-code Barracuda with three on the floor. Originally forest green with green interior. Not really my taste.

Now on to the V-code car. This car is a big time project. Original plum crazy Los Angeles plant car with black interior and top. Painted a cheap white. Missing original motor/trans, hood. Has a '69 440 with race auto trans in. Original interior, gauges are present. According to the broadcast sheet, this is one of 150 shaker six-pack 4-speed cars. Comes with data broadcast sheet. Body is straight all around, except for the top which someone stepped on, and will need pushing back out. Trunk has typical rust, but not significant. Will come with a Hemi transmission and a date-coded 440 block, in addition to the motor/trans already in the car.

I'm straddling the fence whether to get this and restore after the 383 R/T car is done. He wants about $11,000-$11,500. Is that too much? I would have taken pics but the car is in between a tight fence, so I couldn't really open the doors. The question is the cost for setting up a six pack engine with a 440 block and crank as a base to start with. Not only that, but the shaker assembly and the shaker hood.

Thoughts?

Thanks! David
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: V-code '70 Challenger found, worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005 - 11:24:21 PM »
Sounds like a dream car....I think its well worth the asking price, even without the numbers matching drivetrain. It sounds like it needs a lot of work, but is far from a basket case. If it takes 20k to restore the car, which i highly doubt it will, and you pay 11k for it, than you will have roughly 30k in it. Try finding a V-code anything for 30k, let alone an e-body.......sounds like a deal to me.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005 - 01:05:33 AM »
I can build a full 6 pack engine for under 8K with a new 6 pack & it will beat a stock 6 pack the hood is 5 K or so , still worth doing in my opinion , & I would still be interested in it if you are not

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005 - 01:44:29 AM »
Let CP get his hands on it.  :grinyes: :burnout:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005 - 05:36:12 PM »
I would say go for it if you have the space to keep it safe for a few years till you can get to it.  And you could always do a fiberglass shaker hood on it.  Somebody on the board had pics of a real nice repro that sold for under a grand.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 - 09:17:33 AM »
You have your 383 R/T that you are worrying about right now. Concentrate on your current project... but if you want, buy this car and store it.

If not, let CP (or myself) know where it is!