standard or aftermarket seats

Author Topic: standard or aftermarket seats  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Limecuda

standard or aftermarket seats
« on: March 27, 2005 - 04:23:48 PM »
Here is the deal.  I have a 71 Cuda on the verge of getting out of "paint shop jail" in less than a month.  I will spend most of the summer putting it together.  I have a set of 71 seats and 73 seats each needing to be recovered.  The 73 style are in better overall condition.  At any rate, I have been toying with the idea of just ordering some Summit style seats.        
I like the idea of a more comfortable seat and for the money they seem like a great deal.  I plan on enjoying the car, but at the same time know it is a valuable car.  These cars can command crazy money and to be honest I like it, but i am not in love with this car.  The car was a 71 GC Barracuda with 318 now it has a 440 and gills.  In your opinion, stick with stock or go for aftermarket.

Plum6Pak

Re: standard or aftermarket seats
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005 - 04:37:52 PM »
Aftermarket all the way, they can tilt, swivel, forward and back and recline. I'm going that route, you can put the harness style seat belts in as well. Can't beat the price!  :thumbs: I believe 74Chally or some others have them already and can tell you how they like them.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005 - 05:20:33 PM »
I'd have to say ftermarket in this case due to the fact it's now been made into a monster instead of the 318.  ;)

Sometimes modern seats look silly or stupid when the rest of the car is back in the 70's, old console, steering wheel headunit, cloth etc etc

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005 - 06:47:44 PM »
If it were me, I would go with the aftermarket. However, if you do choose to stay with e-body seats, it will be a lot less of a headache if you use the 71 seats as cores because the 73 seat has a different seat back frame. But like I said, I would go aftermarket because it will be cheaper, easier, and look just as good....if not better.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005 - 10:33:45 PM »
To me the E-body seats are some of the best looking seats ever but you should go with whats comphy

If your not in love with the car now wait till you get behind that 440 in those killer looking aftermarket
seats with the upgraded seatbelts and consol your gonna add.... oooohhh oooohhhhh aaahhhhhh

That's my bad Tim Taylor voice impersonation

Whatever you do we need pics after you decide :grinyes: :grinyes:

Am I the only one who thinks those seats are gonna be in every car by next year?? ;)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 - 12:12:22 AM »
it takes 10 minutes to swap seats , go with aftermarket & swap them if you want to sell the car or something

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Plum6Pak

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005 - 06:55:10 AM »
 :iagree:   Good idea, hang on to those stock seats!!  :thumbs:

Offline 72brcda

• death valley
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005 - 02:20:53 PM »
Has anyone tried those Summit seats? Did it raise or lower your driving position? I've been considering them, but don't want to sit any higher or lower than I am now with my stock seats.
faster, faster

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005 - 07:47:14 AM »
Does anybody make replacement seats that aren't so "racey"?  I mean something that would look more OEM than racey?
Been thinking about getting some from the salvage yard and recovering them (would like the driver's seat to be power) but finding seats for a 2-door is kinda tough.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005 - 08:54:04 AM »
I would go aftermarket, but a style that isn't so racy.

Kinda ugly IMHO.

I plan on getting some Flofits and having it recovered in the factory covers/upholstery:

http://www.seatsource.com/products_flofit.htm

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005 - 08:56:49 AM »
Another option is to find some Dodge OMNI seats and have it recovered, like this:

06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Plum6Pak

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005 - 04:39:42 PM »
Those look sweet Ragtop, any particular year?

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005 - 11:33:43 PM »
Those look sweet Ragtop, any particular year?

Beats me.  I think mid '80s.
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005 - 11:44:07 PM »
:iagree:   Good idea, hang on to those stock seats!!  :thumbs:
I agree If you want to use the aftermarket ones or something else store the chally ones away to swap them back in when you sell it!! :grinyes:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005 - 01:31:47 PM »
 Well I've done it again! I've managed to break the driver seat back support in half  :mad:
 Lets see now, My old 1971 Duster, my old 1984 Dodge RamCharger 4x4, and now my 1972 Challenger, all broke in the same spot!!! Not sure why, I'm NOT over weight at all, about 215-218Lb's. Maybe it just has something to do with being 6'5 and more of my weight sits higher up on the seat (bending leverage)?  :dontknow: But I need to find some seats.

Anyway I found the exact same seats that Limecuda posted which Summit sells for $209.00, at KRAGEN auto parts for 119.99, then after a mail in rebate they're only $99.99!!!!!  The sale is good through August 27, 2005.
 The one thing I saw that I didn't like was that they don't have a lever to make them go forward so someone can get into the back seat. They do have a knob that you have to twist a million times that makes the seat tilt back or farward, but for quick back seat entry that won't work.
 But with my stock seats, if you slide the seat all the way forward there was enough room on my 72 Challenger to slide into back back seat.

I also noticed that there seems to be just two bolts holding each upper side to the lower, so it might be possible to remove the rear bolts and replace it with some type of pull pin. The type that have the little roller ball inside like a rachet and you can find at and good hardware store.
 Then you could just pull the two rear pins and the seat may just swing forward, but I'll have to see for sure.
  I agree with NZ440R/T that if I use these I'll have to make the inside a little more updated too look right.
 But I though of a couple of cool ideas that just might do it! ;)
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)