Author Topic: So lets start a discussion about small block heads  (Read 16810 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: So lets start a discussion about small block heads
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013 - 01:22:38 PM »
I found this online for you...

308 heads - 4323308 -
* were available on production 360 trucks and vans from around 1989 to 1991 or '92.
* were the last 340/360 heads that had the shaft-mounted rockers used on production vehicles. (Replaced by the "Magnum"-style engine/head assemblies.)
* were used on the original Mopar Performance Commando crate engines. Both, the 300hp and 360hp versions had them.

Can you tell me exactly what years & motors came with the 308 heads?  I've looked for these, but most heads are not listed as '308' heads.  Will they always have 308 cast into them?  How about part numbers?  Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to crawl some local junk yards for these and need to know what to look for.

Thanks, Jim
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013 - 01:28:43 PM »
Some more info I found on the 308 heads..

Swirl Port Heads
Chrysler's small-block cylinder head design changed very little until 1987 when the 302 casting (last three digits of the casting number), commonly known as the swirl port, was introduced. While the 302 casting, as well as the later 308 casting, were most commonly found on low-performance 318s, they shouldn't be overlooked for a performance build. Even with small 1.75-inch intake and 1.50-inch exhaust valves, the design of this head's heart-shaped quench-style combustion chamber makes it a good choice for mild to moderate performance. An engine with these heads in stock form will outperform an engine with stock X or J castings simply due to the improved combustion chamber design. Additionally, these heads have hardened valve seats, which make them compatible with unleaded fuel. The swirl port heads were utilized through 1991 (302 casting) and 1992 (308 casting) and respond well to port and bowl work, offering better power potential than all of the earlier small-block heads. Another nice feature of these heads is they utilize valvetrain and intake manifolds common to early small-blocks, so parts are readily available. Simply bolt these heads to your small-block and enjoy the extra power they provide.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013 - 01:35:29 PM »
308 are found on 87-92 360 trucks & vans & offer the larger ports & valves , with some smart port work I was able to gain 41 RWHP over ported X heads

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013 - 02:10:46 PM »
308 are found on 87-92 360 trucks & vans & offer the larger ports & valves , with some smart port work I was able to gain 41 RWHP over ported X heads

Is that the magnum head?  :dunno:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013 - 02:14:17 PM »

Sounds like just the ticket for what I'm planning unless this thread uncovers another 'stock appearing' head I can use in my build.  Will these always have 308 cast into them?  On the set of 302 heads I have "302" is clearly cast into the heads.

Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013 - 02:16:18 PM by Road_Runner »
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013 - 02:18:45 PM »
I found this online for you...

308 heads - 4323308 -
* were available on production 360 trucks and vans from around 1989 to 1991 or '92.
* were the last 340/360 heads that had the shaft-mounted rockers used on production vehicles. (Replaced by the "Magnum"-style engine/head assemblies.)
* were used on the original Mopar Performance Commando crate engines. Both, the 300hp and 360hp versions had them.

So hopefully 308 is always the last 3 characters of the casting number.  And I definitely want the non-Magnum heads as I want to use a 'correct' 340 intake I have.

Thanks, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013 - 02:47:38 PM »
I'm really wanting opinions on those Airwolf heads. Has anyone tried them?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013 - 07:14:19 PM »
the casting # is 5444308 or close to that , clearly marked & PRE Magnum heads , high swirl shaft rocker heads , best factory small block production head IMO , nothing compares .

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013 - 08:49:30 PM »
Do these look fairly close to stock for a 70 T/A motor and will they accept a 340 Six pack intake with minimal or no machining? 

Also, do you know if they have any extra emission or other holes that would need to be capped off or plugged?

the casting # is 5444308 or close to that , clearly marked & PRE Magnum heads , high swirl shaft rocker heads , best factory small block production head IMO , nothing compares .

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013 - 10:43:17 PM »
I was impressed with the flow #'s from these guys?
Airwolf 220
http://www.j-performance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59

:iagree: the Airwolf heads look like the ticket for a real nice small block build. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013 - 11:01:27 PM »
the 308s look stock from the outside will accept the 6 pack intake as the intake suface is exactly the same , the magnums used different intake bolt angles & covers & cannot remember there being any emission holes to block off .
 As soon as I get some time I will read up more on the Airwolf heads

Offline Tonker1

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013 - 07:37:04 PM »
Mopar Muscle Magazine did an awesome options summary of this topic back in March. Here is the link
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_1303_cylinder_heads_light_headed/viewall.html

Offline Aus_Cuda

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013 - 06:23:01 PM »
I've been looking at small block head head options as well.
My primary focus is on weight reduction over the front end, for this reason the heads I want must be aluminum.
As my focus is not on power I would want any replacement heads to accept the standard LA shaft rockers, all head hardware including original pressed metal valve covers. If the alloy heads allow for more power
and can be slightly ported then thats a bonus.
I suppose like everyone money is always an option.

The AW220's look excellent but are well over the top for what I need, edelbrocks I'm not sure about the rocker gear.
Frankly I was looking at a set of bare Procomps fitted with all the original head hardware except springs and intake valves (as they need 2.02 rather than my 1.88), have them built up by my local
head workshop and run with those.

I would not buy them as a complete assembly as I question the quality, and remember I'm not chasing power, just weight.

Opinions.............

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013 - 06:42:04 PM »
Aus - you are going to pay a lot to lose weight. Why not go Alum Radiator, Nippon alternator, Centerline (or other lightweight) wheels, alum water pump housing etc. Good alloy heads run about $1500 to 2000 once the crying is over. And what do you hope to gain by losing 40lbs with some expensive heads. If its handling improvements you are after then IMHO you are better to improve the suspension and steering and not worry about weight as much.

Just my :2cents: from a  :nzflag: and  :canada:
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015 - 12:33:49 AM »
Hey CP, just picked up a set of 308 heads to replace my 2.02 J heads.  Should I get 2" valves installed? What else should I do beside a bowl blend? Should I try to open up around the pushrod hole on the intake side?