Author Topic: Early 90's Dodge Dakota auto trans... does it fit in an Ebody?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
A friend has a 90's Dodge Dakota 360 rebuilt Auto trans with over drive that he'll give to me at a super price.  Will these fit and work in a stock ebody small block 340 without any mods or wiring issues?  I'm guess the hump would have to modified, right?  Then the console?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Early 90's Dodge Dakota auto trans... does it fit in an Ebody?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013 - 01:37:10 PM »
Probably a 500 or 518 , I would take a tape measure to check mount location , some dakota engine block have unique block mount points , theoretically the 518 will bolt in with minor clearancing of the case

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013 - 03:52:34 PM »
Thanks!

Probably a 500 or 518 , I would take a tape measure to check mount location , some dakota engine block have unique block mount points , theoretically the 518 will bolt in with minor clearancing of the case
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013 - 10:14:48 PM »
I believe all the linkage [shift & kickdown] works with the 500/518 too

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013 - 12:18:00 AM »
 From the tail shaft forward should be the same as a 904/727. The tail shafts on the 500/518 are very wide. I thought modifying the x-member was mandatory. It would be nice if all it took was some tail shaft trimming. I've got a 500 out of a 92 Dakota sitting in the garage. It would be good for a future project if the car didn't have to be hacked.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013 - 01:07:06 AM »
Thanks man!

From the tail shaft forward should be the same as a 904/727. The tail shafts on the 500/518 are very wide. I thought modifying the x-member was mandatory. It would be nice if all it took was some tail shaft trimming. I've got a 500 out of a 92 Dakota sitting in the garage. It would be good for a future project if the car didn't have to be hacked.

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013 - 10:41:56 AM »
Wiring issues is a simple switch to engage/disengage the overdrive.  Power AND gas mileage!
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"