Author Topic: Question about retirement...  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Re: Question about retirement...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013 - 09:08:38 PM »
I'm 54. married to my wife of 30 years, with 2 grown but still somewhat financially dependent kids. and we're really trying to focus on retirement now.  We've got a bit of money in 401k's, no pension/retirement other than that.  Father died of a heart attack at 34, Grandfather at 64, brother who is 2 1/2 years older than I am almost died from a severe heart attack at 53, younger than I am now.  So I know all about programming myself to think I'll 'only' live to a certain age, that I'm doomed to have a heart attack young, and yet here I am with a fairly clean bill of health after extensive testing.  I guess my way of thinking has matured into "Plan for the worst, Hope for the best".  I have insurance to cover what's needed if I do go during my earning years, but 'optimistically' saving to retire should I live long enough to enjoy it!  Besides, I'm not going to finish my Mopars just to leave them to the kids!  I have to be that 'cool old guy' driving the *****in Mopars around town for a little while first.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013 - 09:26:28 PM »
II have to be that 'cool old guy' driving the *****in Mopars around town for a little while first.

Later, Jim
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013 - 06:45:32 PM »
I don't know about the best way to go about retirement and all that....I'm a long way from it.  But I agree that the more you can do, and the less government assistance you have to worry about, the better.  But I just wanted to say, as a young man, all this talk about "I'll only live til *insert age here*" aint the right way to think!.......just think though- 60 years old is nothing now!  After talking to grandpa and dad, years and years ago, 60 was considered OLD OLD OLD.  Now, 60 is still a spring chicken!  8) Prepare for the worst, but don't set yourself up with the mindset that you only have a few years left at best.  Yes, anything can happen on a dime, and EVENTUALLY WILL.  But both of my grandparents are up in there 70's, still kicking and can do anything a 25 year old can do.  Age is just a number that controls too many people. Live for the day, prepare for the future, and be blessed!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013 - 07:37:56 PM »
 :drunk: live life to the fullest! I've got around 16 more years until retirement. I'm going to enjoy those years!