Author Topic: Automotive Guilty Pleasure  (Read 3157 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Automotive Guilty Pleasure
« on: August 02, 2013 - 09:25:26 PM »
Look I love my Cuda...it is never going anywhere, but I am not brand loyal. 

There are lots of cars that I would love to own, mostly old muscle, but there are a few cars, that do not fit into that mold that I would jump at...I call these my guilty pleasure cars.

First a Nash Metropolitan, I just get a kick out of these.

Late 70s Ford Fairmont, I know I know, I feel so dirty, I had one as a teenager, black with red interior and always loved that car...untill the 6 cyl went boom.

Corvair...yep, love em...just funky.

Lastly, and probably the worst, a Pontiac Fiero, oh god, I said it, please dont think any less of me.  I grew up around a lot of cars, all different kinds, but I remeber being a young lad when the Fiero came out, I remember building a model kit of one, it was the fist car I remember saying I want one, I thought it was ust soooo cool, no other influences.  I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

Anyone else have any guiltly pleasure cars?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013 - 09:34:29 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline spamtank

Re: Automotive Guilt Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013 - 09:33:05 PM »
I was in my early 20's when the Fiero came out.  I wanted one in the worst way.  The thought of a mid engine affordable car had me ropped in.  But I wasn't making enough money to buy a new car. 

I still think they are cool. 
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
Re: Automotive Guilt Pleasure
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013 - 09:38:43 PM »
Man I really hate to admit this but I actually bought a Fiero. I thought having speakers in the head rest was really great. But, there was NO power ... It didn't last very long.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Automotive Guilty Pleasure
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013 - 09:43:14 PM »
I like fins, anything with fins. The'60 Cadillac had some awesome fins!! And of course we can't forget Christine!!  :woo:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline MizzouRT

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013 - 10:33:39 PM »
I am a Mopar guy but like all performance cars regardless of brand.  My brother was visiting and mentioned his wife was thinking about buying either a Camaro or Mustang, so we stopped by the local Ford dealer just to look at the colors.  In the showroom was a 2013 Boss Seca.  It was my favorite color/wheel combination, black with the polished wheels but also over $50K and way above my brother's  budget.  But a used 2012 Boss in the less desirable yellow was on the lot.  Test drive was lots of fun.  Nowhere close to being as comfortable as modern Challenger, but not as harsh as we had feared.  Long story short, he got a good deal on it after consulting with his wife (the REAL Boss, right?!??!) and bought the car.  Definitely a fun car and lots quicker on street tires 0-30 mph than my 392 Challenger.  If Dodge didn't make the Challenger, I would be driving a Boss 302.  Guilty of not being a Mopar but certainly a pleasure to drive.

Daily Driver: 2013 Challenger SRT 6 speed
Toy: 1970 Challenger

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013 - 10:53:33 PM »
The NASH I get that cool car very nostalgic I have a dozen or so Rambler mates so I do relate.

The Fire..ooo yea I Autocrossed with SCCA in the 80,s with a 70 duster 360 custom car, and they had no class for my car, so they stuck me with the Fiero class.

I BEAT MOST OF THEM ,but one GT was a good driver with a decent car the rest never even came close.

so I DID  get to know them and their owners well, so well I bought some seats from them, they had those speakers in the head rest and had some good side bolstering,

the problem was the had been in a fire a very common issue with these cars.

Any way my alter ego car would have to be a Pantera or a GT 40 :stirpot:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013 - 10:55:56 PM by drewcrane »

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013 - 11:32:59 PM »
The Fiero looks all right in my opinion but if I had a car collection due to endless financial resources one of the climate controlled garage spots would certainly be occupied by a 78 Trans Am. Always loved the looks of those cars.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013 - 05:03:29 AM »
I've had two Gremlins, and I love the things. The second had been warmed over by the owner before me, with front and rear sway bars, heavy duty springs and coil overs. I took it out one night and tore up an RX-7. Out ran him and outhandled him  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013 - 07:24:12 AM »
The NASH I get that cool car very nostalgic I have a dozen or so Rambler mates so I do relate.

The Fire..ooo yea I Autocrossed with SCCA in the 80,s with a 70 duster 360 custom car, and they had no class for my car, so they stuck me with the Fiero class.

I BEAT MOST OF THEM ,but one GT was a good driver with a decent car the rest never even came close.

so I DID  get to know them and their owners well, so well I bought some seats from them, they had those speakers in the head rest and had some good side bolstering,

the problem was the had been in a fire a very common issue with these cars.

Any way my alter ego car would have to be a Pantera or a GT 40 :stirpot:

Oh man...I would take one of those too!!!

Thanks guys...noce to know I am not alone!!! :roflsmiley:
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:01:57 AM »
Speaking of the Fiero, they sure are a lot of fiberglass! I had one pull out in front of me back in the late 80's-early 90's while at work. I was driving a Chevy S-10 and took off the entire back quarter of the Fiero. It was his fault. The S-10 had no damage!  :roflsmiley: :smilielol: :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:09:36 AM »
I'm not sure if I shouldn't lock this thread or delete it completely . . . .  :eek4: :eek4:  j/k

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:17:19 AM »
I'm not sure if I shouldn't lock this thread or delete it completely . . . .  :eek4: :eek4:  j/k

Yaa, it's gotten kinda ugly   :roflsmiley:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:17:49 AM »

:smilielol:  are your hands flailing wildly while reading it?  :poopoke: :bigsmile:  JK!

Actually I'll admit I've always had a thing for the 70-71 Torino's preferably the GT Cobra with the hideaway headlights, shaker hood and rear window louvers.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3591/3636514530_e08083991d.jpg
Then I'd haul the stock motor out and install one of these "Boss 9"  bad boys!  :drool:

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013 - 09:28:01 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:23:09 AM »
:smilielol:  are your hands flailing wildly while reading it?  :poopoke: :bigsmile:  JK!

Yur killing me. :rofl:   :rofl:  Oh I can't wait for Carlisle again.  :clapping:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013 - 09:24:46 AM »

OH the humanity..... :villagers: