Elvis: What's your thoughts on him?

Author Topic: Elvis: What's your thoughts on him?  (Read 874 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Elvis: What's your thoughts on him?
« on: August 03, 2013 - 10:45:43 PM »
When I grew up in the 70's, I couldn't stand him.

It was Deep Purple, Led Zep, The Who, and the rest of those bands kicking a$$ at the time.
Don't get me wrong they're still tops in my books.

However, Tonight I was watching Elvis 1973 Aloha tour on PBS.
I gotta lot of respect for him now. The dude was the man!

I blew it. Should've vistited Glaceland when I was stationed in Ft. Campbell in 81-83'.

Was he an influence to you when you were young?
Is he now? Have you've been to Graceland?
Was he on your radio back then?

Maybe I'm just getting older and respect other generations of music?

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Elvis: What's your thoughts on him?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013 - 10:50:12 PM »

Never liked his music back then, still don't.

Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013 - 10:54:13 PM »
I'm kinda with ya TC. But its not that I couldn't stand him , I just didn't give a crap. And I thought his movies (that I've seen anyway) were hokey as all get out.  But I did know people that loved him. Being in bands for many  years (its been awhile)I began to realize just how  influential he was. That was BIG stuff back in the day. He set a trend that's kept going ever since.  .... still cant say I'm a fan tho....
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013 - 11:07:15 PM »
I'm kinda with ya TC. But its not that I couldn't stand him , I just didn't give a crap. And I thought his movies (that I've seen anyway) were hokey as all get out.  But I did know people that loved him. Being in bands for many  years (its been awhile)I began to realize just how  influential he was. That was BIG stuff back in the day. He set a trend that's kept going ever since.  .... still cant say I'm a fan tho....

Yeah I'm with you on that.
He was very much an influence on music. He was the very beginning on Rock n roll.
His movies sucked.

I never did own any of his records then or now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013 - 11:12:21 PM »
I was working at a plant a couple weeks ago about 2 miles from his house, is where my motel was.  I have tour'ed his place a few times. I used to watch his movies , back in the day, because my mom was always wet for him for some reason and she controled the tv. and sometimes the record player and 8 track.   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013 - 11:58:59 PM »
Who  :clueless:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013 - 12:03:29 AM »
Elvis was played along with the Beatles by my mom when I was very young, also remember going to see Blue Hawaii at the drive in.
Not all of his movies are bad,ck out King Creole, ... & ya gotta like Spin Out & Speedway, the one where he drove a 67 Charger in Nascar.

Liked his music then and still do at '54, when they play an Elvis song at the clubs lots of folks get up to dance. I can't say I have any of his recordings, most of my stuff is '70s pop & rock.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013 - 12:25:41 AM »
Kinda off topic but I find this interesting...I was riding a few months back with my 22-yr old daughter & the song Mack the Knife was playing.
I ask her if she was playing that for my benefit. She said no that she liked it & lots of songs by Michael Bublé....
Uhh Honey, I say, that song is something your Grandparents would have listened to. 

Anyway it turns out this Bublé guy has recorded a lot of this style I call Rat Pack music & at least some of the younguns are really into it...Go figure   :clueless:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cudamadd

• cudamad157071@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013 - 01:08:01 AM »
Elvis was the king .   One of a kind JUST LIKE THE EBODY just one of a kind . My daugther was born on aug the 16th the date the king  had pasted so this date will always be special to me .  The likes of Elvis we will never see again R.I.P
Go 4 a spin Ya Why Not.

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013 - 03:04:51 AM »
I'm a young guy, and for some reason when I was real little, I just loved Elvis.  Had all his music, tried to impersonate him etc hahaha.  I don't listen as much anymore today, simply for the fact that I work at a radio station and we don't play it...but I still go and watch the 68 Comeback Special (on Youtube) and just recently watched a documentary called "The Elvis Mob" on Youtube....basically his buddies that were always with him, told the real story.  Dude was a legend, oozed sex appeal (in his younger days), in his prime had maybe the best voice I've ever heard and he was a Southerner.  I gotta lot of respect for Mr. Elvis Presley  :ylsuper:
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline Gumby

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013 - 04:39:52 AM »
When I was dating my ex, at her graduation (southern Baptist - no dancing) there was an Elvis impersonator. A few years later, when we got married, my mom hired an Elvis impersonator for our wedding dance! Little town - nowhere nebraska lol. Don't know where she found him - he was good! Before that, my best friend at work, a black guy always used to sing "Can't Walk Out". So I guess I've always heard him. I guess I've always liked his music, but didn't go out of my way to listen to it. My mom is absolute nuts about him.Every time I visit her, she is listening to him, it seems. She graduated 1955. he must have done something right, he struck a lot of heartstrings with a LOT of people worldwide. A LOT of people. He seemed to handle his fame and personal problems a lot better than todays ilk. AND he did have TALENT. Johnny Cash did, too. Something that is lacking these days.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013 - 06:11:25 AM »
never cared much for his music.  Poor taste in cars too imo....  ::)
*** Bart ***

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013 - 08:04:00 AM »
I never really cared for his music, although I gotta give him respect for what he accomplished . Just not my taste in music is all, never really cared for the "showboat" types. The Beatles other than a couple of songs I never liked either.  Funny Gumby mentioned Jonny Cash.... I couldn't stand him in my teens/twenty's but I've grown to respect his life and style of music and I bought his CD a couple of years ago and enjoy it now and then. My boys like a boy named Sue. Kind of a story teller in music! I like his version of "Hurt" much better than 9 inch nails! :eek4:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline solarguy

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013 - 09:01:22 AM »
I liked his movies, great music and he always got the girl in the end. 

Offline Imchallenged

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013 - 09:38:37 AM »
 :canada:  Obviously, you're all men commenting on Elvis.  He was "The King".  I grew up listening to him, watching all of  his movies and his tv specials.  Have many of his records.  He was the best.  Watching his old videos on youtube still get me going.  He had all the moves.  "I Love Elvis and proud of it". 

p.s. had to steal my husbands page to post this. lol :jumping: