Author Topic: Anyone been to Indy 500? any tips?  (Read 541 times)

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
Anyone been to Indy 500? any tips?
« on: August 05, 2013 - 02:19:21 PM »
Best place to stay? Good seats? Gonna take my son their next year for his 18th birthday Any help is appreciated

Offline Racer57

Re: Anyone been to Indy 500? any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013 - 06:23:12 PM »
The front stretch seating is a good place to see the start and pit row action. But lousy for seeing the race itself.
No matter what, you need to get a seat as high up as you can. I prefer turn 1 in order to see the start and them coming off pit lane and also racing through 1 and into 2. The same applies to turn 4 where you see them coming out of 3 along the short chute into 4 and also into the pit lane. There is Jumbo Trons that will show you what's going on throughout the entire race track. But you will be very disappointed as too how much of the track you can see since its basically flat and there various things blocking your view. If you have never been there... its something that you have got to see and experience.
If there is any chance that you will be there during the practice days before the race itself, here is something that you might consider.....
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/eventinfo/35217-Gasoline-Alley-Access/  They cost $100.00 but you are allowed into the pits themselves. NOT behind the fence along the track though.

One other piece of advice if you've never been to a big event like the Indy 500. Either leave a few laps before its over, or just sit in your seat for an hour or more after the flag drops. Otherwise you'll be in the biggest mass of humanity you've ever experienced and will be damn lucky if you and your son are able to keep track of each other. I'm dead ass serious !!!  :)

p.s. I just checked and saw that your in Canada.  Better start checking for a place to stay. I live within easy driving distance so I can't help you with that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013 - 06:26:37 PM by Racer57 »