Author Topic: I love this article !!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: I love this article !!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013 - 04:12:36 PM »
ABS system errors will also cause serious repair bills.   :money: :misbehaving:    gotta love old cars  :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013 - 05:17:19 PM »
I've seen a separate article using professional drivers on a performance track who were able to turn times faster with non-abs cars than the simple street and stab method best utilized by and ABS system.

I can also think of certain off road situations where washboard will cause an ABS system to activate and lengthen the stopping distance a vehicle uses compared to a non-ABS system that can lock up and push a berm of dirt in front of the tire to aid in stopping within a restrictive distance. Understand this is low speed stuff and the complete opposite of the above, but if the ABS kicks in as you're a turning on a mountain switch back with a 1000 foot drop in front of you, it can be more deadly.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013 - 06:15:20 PM »
The first time I exited the highway at speed on my new bike with ABS I had one of those "Oh SH*T" moments when it didn't seem to be stopping.  I'm still not sure what happened exactly, but it wasn't slowing down very much at all.  It eventually did, but if traffic were worse or the exit ramp was shorter ..... might have been bad.  I've tried it a bunch of times since then and it seems to do OK, but it always bothers me when an electronic component steers, accelerates, or stops your car without a mechanical link to fall back on.  And that's where every manufacturer is going.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline 1970GranCoupeConvert

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013 - 10:49:47 PM »
I travel often and as you can imagine I rent a lot of cars.

So what do you do when you find yourself driving a rental car on some secluded patch of highway at 80 MPH?  Well you plant both feet firmly on the brake pedal and see what happens. 

Every time Ive done this I am absolutely amazed at how fast the car stops!!!  The ABS cycles like crazy and the tires lay down some real rubber.

Then...of course you have to see how fast the car will accelerate back to 80MPH again so I stomp my foot on the gas and watch the tach rev.

I love rental cars!!!   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe Convertible
First Car (purchased in October 1985)
Drove it throughout high school and early college (still do)
Full Frame off (K frame off) Rotisserie Restoration completed in 1991
Originally (and still is) a Rally Red, Black top with Charcoal/Silver Interior
340 CID with Holley Pro-Jection 4Di
LA 727 GearVendor  Overdrive
390:1 8 3/4 Rear end
Rally Rims (color matched)

Offline ek3

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013 - 11:50:42 PM »
I have always HATED ABS Systems
http://www.sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/motoring/item/216-motoring-a-crash-course-in-the-great-anti-lock-brake-debate.html
  :iagree:   it turns  a talented driver into an average or below average driver. just imagine that pilot [smitty?] who landed that plane on the water. bet he did not use auto pilot for that one !!! :grinyes:

Offline Surfmichaels

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013 - 10:28:47 AM »
Interesting article, but I was always told that if you disabled the abs on a car that many cars default to a rear heavy bias for "safety" reasons. So although you can disable abs the car ends up even worse.

My dad was a mopar mechanic for 20 years so it could be dodge specific or he could of been trying to convince me not to pull the fuse on my cars.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013 - 02:01:54 PM »
For the average consumer who is driving an appliance abs is a good thing.  And in typical conditions you would never even notice it being in.  I remember an autocross test with pulling the fuse vs not and the times were the same and the conclusion was that to just leave it in unless you were essentially a professional race driver.

Now is and a crutch in certain conditions?  Of course but those are not the typical situation that engineers design cars for.  If you are knowledgeable enough to know than you are ahead of 95% of drivers out there.  The only time I turn off traction control and esp on my truck is driving in packed snow fast.  So only twice in 3 years.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013 - 02:17:13 PM »
I feel the same way about handling systems. They get people to think that their cars can do anything, when in reality they encourage people to drive closer to the car's limit without even realizing what they're doing.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars