AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!

Author Topic: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Transamcuda.com

• Numbers cruncher and expert at nothing.
    • Transamcuda.com
AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!
« on: March 28, 2005 - 10:52:50 PM »
Ok I have pretty much had enough of the pricing people have put on AAR's and T/A's lately.  Let me say this before I get into my rant that I never judge anyone for the price they feel their car is worth, It's your car and you know what you have into it and an idea of what you think you can get out of it. And if what I am about to say offends anyone I appologize it wasnt meant to be directed at any one person, just an overall asessment. Barret Jackson has become a measuring stick for people who buy and sell cars. Whether on E-Bay or on their own little car market place. Many a car have been compared to cars that have rolled across the B/J stage. Lets discuss our first example. Here is a link to an FE5 AAR for sale.  http://www.duffys.com/results.asp?stocknum=5031931
Now I am sure the person who runs this car lot saw the auction on B/J for the FE5 AAR that sold for $99,000.00 that is why he is asking what he is for this one.  Ok did anyone see the FE5 AAR at B/J  Not knocking the car if the current owner reads this but the car wasnt that nice. In fact in my honest opinion the car was a $40 to $45 thousand dollar car. Someone payed over double what it was worth. The old more money than brains adage.  At a first glance at the one for sale at Duffys what do you see?? Well lots of things. First off it doesnt have the correct E-60 and G-60 Polyglass tires on it. It has an electronic ignition system on it. Some of the blackout on the car isnt correct. I could continue but will save the space. If you are going to ask an ASTRONOMICAL price for a car how bout at least making sure it has 100% of the correct items on it. and oh ya how bout all the paperwork it left the factory with??!!! I gaurantee you without even looking at that car in person it has re-pop exhaust system on it and re-pop 1/4's as well!!!! So where do people come up with these prices??!!! Hey I would like to see the prices go up on them being that I own one myself but do I think these cars are worth that kind of money??!!! ABSOLUTELY not. I commented on this before and this is how I still feel right now. If a car is the right color with a 4 speed and has all the correct stuff on it and all its original sheet metal with paperwork to back it up I think right now all the money and then some is around $65 to $70 grand and THATS IT no more than that. Your getting into stupid money anything over that. 

Another car I was shaking my head at recently was this car also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4536094897&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT  I wont even go into great detail the things wrong with this car but lets be serious here for a moment. This car is not numbers matching and there was no mention of a broadcast sheet either. It appears to have the incorrect valve covers. How can this car be mentioned as a 1 car at all with all those things wrong with it?? And then... How can the owner think this car is worth $70 or $75 thousand dollars??!!!!    What are people thinking??!!!!  Lets here your thoughts on this. I am just curious if its me or not. Am I the only one who thinks this way??!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005 - 10:54:28 PM by Transamcuda.com »
Dont forget to register your AAR at the AAR Registry only at www.transamcuda.com 1981 AAR's on file. Also info on 70 thru 74 E-Bodies. Ask me about yours!!

Offline Robb

Re: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005 - 11:04:57 PM »
I guess it only takes 1 person other than the seller to think that way ?   

Not like the guy is trying to sell 50 of them at once, y'know ?

That black Cuda, had 9407 hits on it.    Wow.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005 - 03:48:44 AM »
Last time I checked it was called free enterprise , they never made enough of these cars & a lot are gone & now we have a lot of demand from buyers with $$$ so if they happen to want one & money isn`t the problem just supply this is what happens

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 6pkrunner

• Evil Monkey in Runner
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005 - 06:13:06 AM »
Two things at work here - the basic law of supply and demand. demand being extremely hot and artificially manufacturer right now. The second is the P.T. Barnum adage.

Plum6Pak

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005 - 06:43:48 AM »
It certainly is turning into a circus on some of this stuff. The only saving grace in some of this is that it makes some of us able to make back what we soak up building our cars if the need ever arrises. It makes those sweet barn finds that we dio get very cheap that much sweeter. Not talking as a purist here but only the over all addiction in general. Hey, when you are addicted to something, seems like you will pay just about anything to get what you need to satisfy your lustful habit.  :grinyes:

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005 - 07:49:22 AM »
Believe me, I understand what you are hot over. That's why I feel it's important not just from an owners standpoint but an "enthusiast" to know , hey this or that is incorrect. If I'm going to make what we can all agree on is a serious investment, buddy be sure when you roll into a show you are not going to get laughed out because behold you car is not the T/A or AAR you thought it was.

But here we are, people with money in hand and no research done willing to part with there green backs for let's say a less than 100% correct car. Or maybe they know and don't care - this car they like just the way it sits.
As long as there is someone, even if it's just one guy, willing to spend for the sake of arguement more than "fair market value", we will begin to see even more "clones"

I too have had a serious bug for an AAR - well, I don't have anywhere from 50,000 to skywards for a real one. I'm going to be one of those guys with a "clone". The diff is, I won't be trying to "flip" it for a profit at an auction or Ebay.

Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

RedLine

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005 - 07:53:51 AM »
If you look at the bid history on the ebay car its even more telling.... 41 bids so far... rising in increments of $2-3k all the way from $13K -- the current bidder wants it bad since he has trumped other bidders at least 8 times.  

The supply and demand is also driving up standard book values.... NADA puts that car over 65K for freshly restored
http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/selectmodeltrim.aspx?LI=1-12-1-2029-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=12&wPr=1&wPg=2030&ct=11&mk=1142&yr=1970&da=0

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005 - 07:59:07 AM »
here is another that the guy will tell you is orig.   look for yourselfs
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline AARManiac

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005 - 11:18:40 AM »
I have to agree with everyone.  I have owned my AAR for 29 years and I am amazed at the prices of the cars and associated parts. They want more for the air cleaner than I paid for the whole car. I try to keep mine looking basically stock, but I still like to drive and race it. I wish I could keep it looking like LemonTwists, but it just isn't feasible.  If prices keep going up for the parts even the clones are going to be out of reach for the average enthusiast.  If I wanted to do a car over now. I don't think I could afford it.
F.A.S.T. legal AAR CUDA   11.61 @ 118mph

Offline Karfever

• First time Mopar Owner! (only took 40 years!)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005 - 01:39:12 PM »
Realtive to Ebay, it is a great place to sell as the amount of hits you get surpass most other advertising venues. I dont think there are many 'deals' out on Ebay because of all the traffic.

Prices seem to have hit another threshold. Most driver quality popular Muscle cars are at least 20-25K. More exotic or rare versions are rapidly going up from there. This seems a bit different than in the 80's when this happened as the 'investors' do not represent a majority of today's buyers. I attribute the price surge to those of us who are in there 50's who are empty nesters, have some disposable dollars, and are 'going to have' that long desired rare muscle car. Unfortunately I need to have more than one, so I have to go for some of the less desirable versions!
 I wish I would bought that 70 Superbird on the dealers lot in 1973 for the 3000 he was begging to get!   :banghead:

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005 - 01:45:24 PM »
They made quite a few AAR's so I'm inclined to think that >65k is asking too much. As for 99k..well, that guy is out to lunch. Problem, again, is that the asking prices are usually the price it cost the owner for restoration, parts etc..

I know the black AAR was affiliated w/ Reggie jackson. So maybe that name recognition inspired someone to bid 65k for the car... not sure if it was even a #'s matching drivetrain It wasn't even a 4-spd.

Ask high.. you can always come down.. in this case.. way down.
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

cudagirl440pk

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005 - 03:04:27 PM »
Well i think the prices of all the ebody's are getting out of hand the car i have i could not afford to go out and by it out right done.Doesnt just have to be  a AAR cuda any cuda these days are nuts.But people are willing to pay the money for what they want most people can get a loan to buy what they want done and some of them dont worry about the cost if it is what they truely want to have.Right now ebodys are hot but my husband tells me that the market goes up and down depends on stock market and other things realated to the cars.For instance if a car is in a hit movie it becomes a gold mine.This is the view of myself and my husband.

michele :burnout:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005 - 03:54:14 PM »
Yeah, those prices are way out of reach of the average car enthusiast now.  I was surprised to look at a '02 blue book and see my '73 Challenger estimated at around $16,500.00 in number two condition.  I figured it would be a car worth right around $12,000 with $13,000 probably being a max, but it seems I'll be worth even more with the way the economy is soaking up these e-bodies.  All I can say is I'm glad I found mine when I did.

HH, that's funny.  A "big block" T/A that he'll swear is original. :laughing: :banghead:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005 - 04:34:20 PM »
I'm going to go against the grain and say it's not that out of whack.
Say a new AAR / TA cost 5k in 1970.  At a modest 10% appreciation per year, that 5k is worth 99k,
30 years later.

What does it cost to buy a loaded Lexus, Navigator or special edition Hummer, 60-80k!

The other factor is money is cheap at the present interest rates, people take out a home equity loan at prime, write off the interest as tax deductible, and effectively only pay 2-3% interest!

Having said all the above, I would never pay above 25-30k.  Partly on general principal, but mostly I'm a cheap SOB!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005 - 04:58:21 PM »
Katfish,
  The flaw in your theory is this. If you had tried to buy that T/A in say, 1975, do you think it would have sold for over $8000 ??? I don't think so. I think they would have lost value because of the gas crunch and all that was going on. Same as any muscle car really. At some point these caught fire though, just like that elusive 71 Cuda so many of us dream about.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.