Author Topic: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline ohio cuda

Re: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006 - 05:25:04 AM »
Sexy-Cuda and Challengers are Sexy and Sex Sells. It's a production numbers game also. I can drive down the street and every age group gives me a thumbs up. People at car shows love them and ask lots of questions because they have never seen one or seldom get up close. The AAR/TA has a high visual impact with standard features. You don't have to look under the hood to know it's unique. Side exhaust, deep exhaust note, staggered tire size, great curves, unique hood, duck tail spoiler, body stripe.
Ya prices are nuts and will level off, fall down a bit, then bump up a little just like everthing else. Great comments by all on this topic.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006 - 01:59:13 PM »
I agree with 528 hemi.....if someone wants to spend THEIR $$ on a car and pay way over market for it, thats their decision. Look at the original post here, 1 year ago the guy paid 99K for an AAR at B-J, 1 year later at B-J one goes for more than DOUBLE the $$. Does not look like such a bad buy after all does it?

I always say if you buy a premium car and pay a premium over market price, in time the market will come to you and pass you. It's still a risk, but these are investments you can have fun with also.

Never had fun with any stock options.... ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 - 09:17:45 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006 - 01:59:34 PM »
I'm into this car $$ wise big time, probably way over market in it. I'm pretty confident in a year or so, I would be able to recoup my $$ if i wanted to...I've lost $$ on only a few of the 90+ Mopars I've owned.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 - 09:18:09 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006 - 04:04:43 PM »
In theory I too agree prety much with, "If you got the money and want it, then buy it." And Larry you are right in your assement, but what does this do for the guy who is just hoping to buy that one Mopar he loves?................He will no doubt pay 5 times what it cost brand new, then he will pay major rip-off prices for the parts he needs to restore it, and then.....................well it just dosen't end. The hobby consist of people who are not wealthy by any means, but yet they still have the passion and love for these cars possibly more than the guy who can buy what he wants when he wants and not worry about the roof that should have been replaced last year.  I guess I'm one of those "Middle" guys, I'm priviledged to have a couple Mopars, but they aren't anything the guys with the mega bucks would bother looking at. I also don't buy a car in knowing I can enjoy it and one day sell it, I'm "attached" heart and soul with what I have, seriously to sell one would be like betraying my country. Can't understand that? Can't say I can either, just the way it is with me. The hobby is fun and yet can be so frustrating.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006 - 09:48:15 PM »
I also don't buy a car in knowing I can enjoy it and one day sell it, I'm "attached" heart and soul with what I have, seriously to sell one would be like betraying my country. Can't understand that? Can't say I can either, just the way it is with me. The hobby is fun and yet can be so frustrating.

I can understand where you are coming from, I know plenty of people who think just like you and thats fine. I have that affliction known as MADD...Mopar Attention Defecit Disorder. Every Mopar I buy i think is going to be a "keeper", but after awhile i get the taste for something different. Maybe it's the working on them also, who knows? Just the way I am, and GOD bless my wife for putting up with me these past 25 years!

:thumbsup:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 - 09:18:51 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline 528 Hemi Cuda

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006 - 02:39:47 AM »
All of the responses have been great.  The main thing that gripes me is someone saying that the people with a lot of money are investors and do not buy these cars for the love of them but how much they can make with them.  How does everybody know that they do not buy them because they love them?  Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you are only buying them for the profit.  I know people that have a lot of money that do buy these cars because they do love them.  Making your money back when selling them is just icing on the cake.  A few years (1999) ago my husband restored a 1971 Curious Yellow 440-6bbl Cuda for the (ISCA) World of Wheels car show circuit.  He had over 3000 hours restoring the car.  This car won 15 best restored of 15 shows.  When we decided to sell the car we were asking $65,000 for it and were told by a few people that we were crazy and would never get that for a 6 bbl car.  We had $65,000 in the car and we were not going to take any less for it.  Guess what, we sold it for $65,000 to a guy that said he all he kept hearing was how great this car was from people that had seen the car at some of the shows.  When he came to get the car he didn't even hesitate giving us what we wanted.  At the time it sold for more than a Hemi Cuda.  Now that same car sold for $285,000.  The best thing all of us Mopar lovers can do is just enjoy the cars we have. 
Pink Ice

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006 - 07:31:22 AM »
Here's the story in a nutshell. Prices are simply a result of supply and demand. Now, this may be hard to believe, but eventually, demand will go down, and supply will go up, and prices will fall. Here's how it goes.

1. The average guy will get priced out of the market. Demand down.
      2. Retro cars from the car makers will become more attractive and affordable. Demand down.
      3. Enjoyment for owners will diminish as they become more afraid to drive their cars for fear of minor damage. They
         will begin to look for more practical pasttimes. and will sell their cars. Demand down, supply up.
      4. Prices will stabilize, which means that investors will look for another market, so their cars will come onto the market.
          Demand down, supply up.
      5. Speculators, seeing prices starting to soften, will try to unload their cars at "bargain prices". Demand down, supply up.
      6. Baby boomers will get too old, or pass away, or go to assisted living, and their cars will come onto the market.
          Demand down, supply up.
      7. Demand from the "Next" generation for these cars will not be as great. Demand down.
      8. There are still literally hundred of thousands of undiscovered/unrestored muscle cars in towns across America. Due to price
          pressure, many of these cars will eventually come onto the market. I know of at least 50 cars, just in my small home town,
          that are being restored, and that's just the ones I know about. Supply up.
      9. External forces: Oil prices, gas prices, global recession, clunker legislation, tighter restrictions, alternative fuels,
          new technologies, terrorism, global pandemics, could all have serious impact on supply and demand of everything including
          our beloved cars.

So you see folks, it's only a matter of time. Although it won't affect the "rare" cars as much, as it does the others, it will affect them all.
Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. It's the only thing I own without a payment.

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006 - 10:18:34 AM »
Most people with that kind of money will always have it.... the guys who are worth half a billion or more who pay these prices, are the least bit worried about the economy, and a recession...they will always have the money to play with. And when this happens, the normal guy that needs to sell his car, is going to drop the price and dump it cheaper just to move it quicker. Who knows when we will see the prices drop on these expensive cars......??
 :money:

Offline nakita7

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006 - 02:13:48 AM »
What goes up....
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006 - 07:00:56 PM »
I don't mean to upset you Transamcuda but I think they posted this on E-bay just for you. Happy bidding, just hit the "BUY IT NOW"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AAR-cuda-4-speed-BEST-IN-THE-WORLD_W0QQitemZ4633433524QQcategoryZ6409QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline matt63

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2006 - 08:17:48 PM »
The only reason so many Mopars are getting restored is because they are worth it now.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline ev2340cuda

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2006 - 02:30:50 AM »
I believe you guys are right,about Barrett-Jackson setting the mark for the current prices! Since the last auction,I have noticed a sharp increase in the pricing! Even worse,is that they have allowed the clones to sell for as much or more than the originals! They no longer call them clones anymore,they are now refered to as recreations,and tributes! I first heard these terms used on the auction show this year! It wasn't that long ago that Barrett-Jackson would not even allow cars that werent original,and had a lot of documentation,to cross the block! I guess if I was getting 16% above the final price,then I would sell anything that people would buy too! I'm sure glad I have the E bodies that I want already,because I could not afford to buy them in the current market!

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2006 - 01:29:19 PM »
yeah, I just picked up my 71 convertible (2bbl 383 original car) from the lady who bought it new in 71! garage kept!!  If I told you what i paid you'd crap your pants! I'm keeping all of my E-bodies too...they are becoming too hot to afford for the regular guy....It's nice to think though, that maybe one day, I can scrape up a half-a-mill or more in a weekend auction between all three!  :bananasmi   we'll see what happens with that AAR on eBay!! I dig the whole crazy price thing (mostly cause of the cars I own) but the regular Cudas etc.  for sale in the papers and on ebay, that are "normal" cars, non-matching, ok bodies, etc. ....are not bringing stupid money...they seem to be affordable still.....????? This whole thing has definatly made our cars a lot cooler then others at your local car show!...when the Mopars roll in, it seems like there should be armed guards in the passneger seats!  :money:

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2006 - 07:02:20 PM »
I don't mean to upset you Transamcuda but I think they posted this on E-bay just for you. Happy bidding, just hit the "BUY IT NOW"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AAR-cuda-4-speed-BEST-IN-THE-WORLD_W0QQitemZ4633433524QQcategoryZ6409QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think this is the one that I saw at Carlise last year, this thing was extremely clean, they guy pulled it out of his car hauler with a pair of socks on, and the bottom of those socks never hit the ground. (well, that is what his neighbor competitor told me). Anyway, it was the nicest AAR I have ever seen to date. If I was not into doing it myself (which I am) and had tons of money (which I don't) then I would buy that one.
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

daves70

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2006 - 07:28:04 PM »
I'm glad our cars are worth so much! Would you rather have it worth little or nothing? :dunno: