AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!

Author Topic: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!  (Read 4113 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: AAR Prices!!! WTF is wrong with people?!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005 - 05:55:47 PM »
All muscle cars are at insane prices and e-bodies are near the top.Even at 30k the cars are above what I can afford but obviuosly there are a lot of people out there that have the money to spend.I would love to get an AAR but even ones needing seriuos restoration are 15k-25k and with the prices of parts out of hand along with the cars my only hope is to wait till they hopefully come back down someday.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005 - 07:03:37 PM »
These days it's really not what the car is worth,  but what someone will pay for it.   :grinyes:     :dontknow:

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005 - 07:08:26 PM »
It is getting crazy isnt it ?? Im starting to get nervous even taking a drive now because i may get a scratch and it will cost me 5 grand to fix it.  :dontknow:

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005 - 09:15:23 PM »
As someone currently looking for an E-body... these prices are freaking insane!

I got a job last summer, made some money, but now the prices for projects have gone through the roof. Still can't afford one. Lets see... college or car. You tell me. ;D

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005 - 09:34:08 PM »
Lets see... college or car. You tell me. ;D

Im trying to do both and I will tell you that it is really aggravating, especially if you have to move to the college. I go to a college that is about 1.5-2 hours away from home and I drive back almost every weekend to work on the car. I noticed that my grades are a reflection of my mood toward the car. If I'm broke and cant work on it than I mostly get As...However, if I have the money  and time to work on the car, than those grades start dropping down to Bs and Cs. I would not recommend finding a project car to work on while at college. Either save up and buy a car that is done at the end of college OR start building the engine OR start collecting parts....but DONT try to build and collect!!!...you will quickly learn that it is a headache if you try.

As for the price of that AAR, 99k is really steep...but if they were cheap than everyone would have one(just like mustangs)....after looking at those NADA values, I think they are a bit on the high side. It said the "average" value for my car is 28k....I've never seen an "average" 383 R/T SE go for 28k....thats at least 15% more than a REALLY nice one goes for.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005 - 10:00:09 PM »
This is just more proof that I picked the right cars to play with :thumbs:

(I know mine are not AARs but you get the idea)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005 - 10:05:17 PM »
Katfish,
  The flaw in your theory is this. If you had tried to buy that T/A in say, 1975, do you think it would have sold for over $8000 ??? I don't think so
  Mike

That reminded me of a red 70 Challenger with a white vinyl top and a 440 I saw go through the Tri-State Auto Auction in Joplin Missouri back in 1975. That car sold for the grand total of $700! The only thing wrong with it was a valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold which made it smoke some under the hood. That and the fact that it was a 440 and there was a gas crisis!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005 - 06:22:03 PM »
How about his onethat needs a total resto-almost 4 days left,over 30k and reserve not met!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6409&item=4538468484&rd=1
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005 - 07:03:09 PM »
 :o :o :o

That car is......................

wow

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005 - 07:19:00 PM »
One of my first jobs out of high school was at a local Plymouth dealer. The owner taught me a very valuable lesson about selling cars....
He said '' THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT''
I have bought and sold over 6o cars since the 70's and never failed to make a buck following his advice.
JS27

[attachment deleted by admin]
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005 - 07:38:08 PM »
 :iagree:

I'm on Mopar # 86 since 1976 when I bought my first car (70 Grande coupe Barracuda) and I've sold some nice cars for $$ that at the time was at the high end of the value scale. If I look at what i sold them for and compare to what they are worth today.....I'd get a gun, put it to my head and pull the trigger if i didn't have a sense of humor!

sold 440-6 superbird for $46K in 2003..#3 car non-numbers
sold 440-6 4 speed 70 challenger R/T for $26K in 2002, non numbers #2 car
sold a 440-6 4 speed numbers #2 70 Cuda in 2000 for $31K
sold a hemi 4 speed 68 runner, non numbers for $30K in 2002

If I had the room and the $$, I'd have kept them all. But the real world has a way of getting your attention. And I cant complain about what I have today.

So what today looks to be absurdly high for a price is next years bargain. And this is how a free market economy works, when the demand for these cars go down, so will the prices. But for now, demand exceeds supply, so the prices are up.

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006 - 07:37:29 PM »
That red AAR at BJ, was definatly not a $99k car, it even had a crappy battery in it, and it was an automatic....However, I feel that AAR's have been very underated...it is a special car, and the supposed number for 4-speeds produced is 1120....I dont see how that is a high  number to some peolple. There's probobly a third of those left in tact. You may have guidelines on what a car might be worth, but in all actuality, it's worth what someone will pay for it....thats the key. My car should be 99% correct when finished, very near to OE specs hopfuly...and I feel its worth more then 100k....it's about time they started to increase in price. What are your thoughts on the one that sold for the price of a HEMI car? $226,000!! Now thats a little crazy, but awesome for us AAR owners!

Offline 528 Hemi Cuda

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2006 - 11:44:26 PM »
As a lot of you guys have said the prices of our cars have kept climbing.  I for one think it is great.  I remember not to long ago when people with brand X cars looked down on Mopar and said they weren't worth a flip.  I also remember a lot of Mopar people were upset and said they would like some respect.  Well now that we are getting the respect we rightfully deserve now a lot of you are upset about the prices.  As it has been said our cars are only worth what someone will pay for them.  If someone wants to pay more than what some of you think it is worth then that is there right.  There is nothing more aggravating then to have someone tell you your car is not worth what you are asking for it.  There are some people out there that will pay whatever the asking price is because they want that car.  They should not be cut down because they have the money to buy what they want.  I have heard people say that some people have more money than brains.  If you had money how would you like it if someone told you that.  I have also heard people say they wish the market would crash.  That is a stupid thing to say because that would hurt everybody in the market.  I don't hear anybody say they wish the stock market would crash or the housing market.  I think people that have the Mopar's should be very happy their cars are worth so much more than they were before.  If this offends anybody I am sorry.  I just get tired of reading how people with money and Barrett Jackson are ruining our hobby.  I do not agree.  I think it is people like BJ and other collectors that are helping us to get the respect I have always felt we deserved. 
I think everybody here is wonderful and you all have wonderful cars.  This is just my oppion and oppions are like belly buttons everybody has one. 
Pink Ice

Offline fantum

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006 - 12:53:40 AM »
One of the positive things that have resulted from this public need to own a MOPAR is the influx of new suppliers of repop parts.  Look at the discussions we are having regarding Goodmark building fenders and quarter panels for our Cudas.  If the market weren't the way it is, Goodmark would not see the value in producing the parts and we would be looking at keeping our old rusty parts and trying to figure out how to repair them.  Now, we are all anxiously waiting for these parts to come to market.  I have seen some discussion about repop grilles for 71 Cudas.  Again, do you think these companies would be building these parts if the cars weren't as popular as they are today?

Look at the Camaros.  You can easily buy enough parts to build a new car.  Why?  Because the cars were very desirable (and many still are), and because of that desire people looking to make a buck decided to reproduce these parts.  Well, now it's our turn.

So, instead of complaining let's look at the bright side.  There will be more parts available to make our cars the works of art we see in our heads when we buy that rusty old piece of junk that nobody wants.  Yes, the prices on the parts are steep, but at least they are becoming more easily available.

fantum
Mike

Offline nakita7

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006 - 03:11:26 AM »
Glad you used the "More money than brains" adage. I use that all the time and it really seems to fit in with discussions about selling Mopars....
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT