how about a section or something easy for newbies to find parts

Author Topic: how about a section or something easy for newbies to find parts  (Read 1884 times)

Offline scottymizt

• now the proud poppa of a beautiful 65
i suck at searching the net but after many hours i finally found that layson's restorations had everything i need for my 65 cuda more than anyone else i could find on the net.How about we have a section posting where people got their parts from and what years they got the parts for?Would make it alot easier for newer people and even ones that have been on a long time.Anyone agree? or is this already somthing ont he site that i missed?

Offline Maxedwell

• This is pre-restoration picture 2002...
Re: how about a section or something easy for newbies to find parts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005 - 11:13:05 AM »
I'm new too, but I say "amen cuda brother!"

Most likely, most of us here are restoring our e-bodies and we all need some parts.
Maxedwell

1970 383 Barracuda - probably going to be a Cuda clone...
I've got a long ways to go - will it be worth the wait and $? Time will tell.....

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005 - 12:34:22 PM »
 :iagree:  Although there is a partial list of suppliers on the site.  Click on the TOOLS link at the top of the page, then click on LINKS.  It's by no means complete though.

I would like more detail than just their name/phone/what they make.  In addition to that, I would like to see member's comments about what they liked/disliked about the products and would they purchase again.  Since sometimes there are multiple suppliers who offer the same products, this type of information would be helpful to choose who has the best quality/service/price.

It could be as simple as a child board of Parts for Sale where a new thread is started for each vendor and members could then comment on the good/bad of each.  Just a thought.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005 - 01:13:51 PM »
:iagree:  Although there is a partial list of suppliers on the site.  Click on the TOOLS link at the top of the page, then click on LINKS.  It's by no means complete though.

I would like more detail than just their name/phone/what they make.  In addition to that, I would like to see member's comments about what they liked/disliked about the products and would they purchase again.  Since sometimes there are multiple suppliers who offer the same products, this type of information would be helpful to choose who has the best quality/service/price.

It could be as simple as a child board of Parts for Sale where a new thread is started for each vendor and members could then comment on the good/bad of each.  Just a thought.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 - 10:07:32 PM »
Also see the menu for this forum and you'll see a thread about "links" I posted close to 40 links.

Everything you need is there.  ;) :thumbs: :wasted:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005 - 06:22:06 AM »
NZ,
I'm sure the list you have posted contains a lot of good vendors, but my problem as a newbie is who to use for what?    :dontknow:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10032.msg93642#msg93642
Unless I go to each and every website, I have no idea what the make/sell.  Sometimes the name doesn't give it away.  And lots of these vendors sell the same or similar stuff.  I have found most of these same vendors just by doing a google search, but I don't know anything about them.  I have spent hours and hours looking at websites and catalogs trying to figure out where the best stuff is.  I had rather spend that time working on my car instead of doing research. 

I would like to learn from other member's experience instead of learning on my own.  There's nothing so disappointing as when you order a part and the  quality is not what you expected or you later find out you paid too much because "everybody" knows you should have brought from X.

I would just like to pool the member's knowledge of who has the best quality, service and price  AND  who not to buy from and why.
A list of url's just doesn't do it for me, no disrespect intended.   :newsad:   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005 - 06:32:41 AM by wrencher »

Btch n Blue

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 - 05:55:07 PM »
Just my .02 cents here...

Usually if a member has posted a link of a vendor, it's good, unless they've stated otherwise!

ALL of NZ's links are reputable companies... he's in New Zealand and HAS learned the hard way, which is why he posted the links he did... he's found good resources! :thumbs:

However, your other choice is to shop around and compare... I know I do and it pays off... example: my new door handles for my 'cuda... YO wanted almost $200, Mopar magazines had them listed for $120-185... found them on Ebay for $99 (sure, I took a risk there), I got them and they were PERFECT!! Just gotta shop around and see...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005 - 06:34:44 PM »
Thanks Mike, I have learned the hard way.  :grinyes: :(

Mike is right, gotta shop around. I have found most of my hardest to find stuff on eBay and I think that will always be.  ;)

Just be careful and if in doubt DON'T bid.  :grinno:

If you go to the linkds page I have given each site a quick description of prodcut and service.  8)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60