Author Topic: Finally, some good news for the "Viper" family.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Finally, some good news for the "Viper" family.
« on: August 14, 2013 - 10:39:03 AM »
For those of you who don't really know me, I realize that I probably fall under the category of "douche-bags who own a Viper".
But those who do know me know that I've struggled pretty hard in the past 18 months, even to the point of listing the Viper on eBay before my wife found out and canceled the auction.
In May of 2012 we learned we were expecting our first child.  It was totally unplanned.  The following week I approached my employer, asking them to make good on a promise dating back to November of 2010 for a $5,000 pay increase.  I was told I'd receive it early 2013.  Instead, I was given a pay cut in October of 2012, and only last month - July of 2013 - our incomes were restored by the company that bought out my employer.
I've had a number of job interviews since last year, but none of them were offering any chance to increase my income.  In fact, by factoring in longer commutes and higher healthcare costs, most of these jobs would serve as a pay cut, and so I had to decline each of them.
Last week I was contacted for an interview for a position about 30 minutes from our house.  As I waited for the phone interview, I tried researching the position online to see if I could learn more in preparation for the interview.  In the process, I found a job listing right here in Canonsburg.  I applied, but was only able to submit a resume.  Knowing that internet resume submissions are next to worthless, I hit "submit" with zero expectations, and instantly forgot about it.  I was surprised when, after my phone interview and subsequent break for lunch, I had a reply from the Canonsburg job listing.  They wanted to interview me.
I interviewed last Thursday with Wood Group Mustang.  Their office is 1/2 mile from my current office, and actually sits closer to my house (I already only have a 2.4 mile commute, and it's all residential backroads until I hit the business complex!)  The interview was very casual, and honestly I didn't expect them to offer me even as much money as I was already earning.
They contacted me monday to ask about my desired rate.  I told them, and the HR woman said, "That should be fine!"  She sent me some paperwork, including benefits information, which I reviewed that evening.  I realized that their health insurance would again be more expensive, so I took a gamble and called her back on Tuesday to see if I could increase my rate by a measly $1,000 to compensate for the additional healthcare costs.  "Oh," she said, "I already put you in for an extra $2,000 and they approved it..."
Oh!!!
As I was typing this, the offer letter hit my inbox.  I'm excited, nervous, anxious, but most of all relieved.  It's not a HUGE increase in income, but it certainly relieves some stress from our finances, and hopefully will enable me to dig out of the extra bit of credit card debt we've amassed since October.
There's no real moral to this story, but I just wanted to share some good news.  There's certainly enough bad news going around these days!!!  :)
Thanks to my friends here on CC.C who have supported me and and encouraged me over the past 18 months.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Finally, some good news for the "Viper" family.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:06:15 AM »
Congrats!  Work hard at paying off that CC debt.  Once it's gone, make sure to pay off all the CC's in full every month. :thumbsup:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:09:05 AM »
Congrats!  Work hard at paying off that CC debt.  Once it's gone, make sure to pay off all the CC's in full every month. :thumbsup:

Personally I'd prefer to shred them and never use them again!  :)  But yes, once I have a firm grasp on my new income, I'll devise a strategy to pay off debt, starting with the small numbers and working up to the Viper's pink slip.  :)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:12:35 AM »
Oh, and enjoy that little girl!  Don't take anything for granted.  It could be gone in a heart beat.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:30:51 AM »
Congratulations sir.....   :cheers:   :2thumbs:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:40:39 AM »
So if I'm reading this right.........You're still a "douche-bags who own a Viper",.......... just now you're a "douche-bags who own a Viper" and makes MORE money... :roflsmiley:.

Just kidding.....Good luck with the new job, sounds like you deserve it....And like burdar say.....Enjoy that daughter of yours while they're young...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013 - 01:10:36 PM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:50:42 AM »
Great news!!  Can I borrow some cash??   :dunno:

Offline Haddixj

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013 - 11:56:40 AM »
just curious what you do for a living? I work for the our local county as a wastewater treatment plant operator

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 - 12:06:01 PM »
More money is hard to beat. Good luck (douche bag).
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013 - 12:29:05 PM »
Good new Jeff and Ashley!  :clapping: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013 - 01:40:34 PM »
So if I'm reading this right.........You're still a "douche-bags who own a Viper",.......... just now you're a "douche-bags who own a Viper" and makes MORE money... :roflsmiley:.

Just kidding.....Good luck with the new job, sounds like you deserve it....And like burdar say.....Enjoy that daughter of yours while they're young...

Lol - I guess I walked into that...  :)

I'm a Project Controls Scheduler.  I started with some help from my dad back in 2008, and have been going strong ever since.  I started with American Electric Power out in Eastern Ohio, then went to the US Department of Justice in DC, then to Taggart Global in Pittsburgh (area) in 2010.  I've been here ever since.  We were given cost-of-living adjustments in 2011 and 2012, but then the paycuts in 2012 put me back to my 2010 income.

Truth be told, my Dad really saved my butt when he got me into this.  Scheduling has made a huge comeback in the past decade or two, and more and more companies are starting to enlist the services of folks like me.  However, pay rates are all over the map.

Thanks guys, and thanks, Burdar - I'll remember your advice.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013 - 03:36:19 PM »
Congrats Jeff!

Enjoy that walk to work.   :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013 - 03:51:07 PM »
Super excited for you!   :clapping:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013 - 04:00:26 PM »
Way cool, Jeff.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013 - 05:09:57 PM »
Good to see some good news!
Congrats!
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***