Author Topic: Rims, Tires and Suspension  (Read 4176 times)

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
Rims, Tires and Suspension
« on: August 14, 2013 - 07:46:22 PM »
First off sorry about the grainy picture. My deal fell through to buy original 14 inch road wheels. So the biggest tires I can put  on my14x7s is 245  60r 14. I am considering going to a 15 inch rim. I have several months to make up my mind.

The stance of my Cuda as it currently sits is basically flat. I want to change that to the taller rear forward rake that most of you have on this sight. My rear end is a stock 8  3/4.

So I wondering about tire rim combos that will work. I'm not at all interested in 16 plus inch rims, I don't like that look.
I would consider a slight suspension change in the rear. All of this is on a budget .

For now I'm OK withe the 245 tires with different shocks on the rear? 

Or I can wait until spring and by new 15 inch rims but that opens up a lot of options. I guess hopefully some of you have input on this as I am not an expert on this. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Rims, Tires and Suspension
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 - 10:44:25 PM »
I would look at 17 " rims , this has a lot more options available .
 basically with the springs in stock location you can get into a 275 wide tire , I have 275 50 for a lower profile
 with the springs moved inward you can get into a 305 width , I would get 8 " wide with 15 " , you can put a wider tire in with a 17 " rim as there is lesss sidewall bulge

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013 - 01:43:30 AM »
I would look at 17 " rims , this has a lot more options available .
 basically with the springs in stock location you can get into a 275 wide tire , I have 275 50 for a lower profile
 with the springs moved inward you can get into a 305 width , I would get 8 " wide with 15 " , you can put a wider tire in with a 17 " rim as there is lesss sidewall bulge
Thanks chrycho. yes if i do get 15s I'll go 8 inches wide. not interested in 17s. 10 inches wide is plenty. Im more concerned with raising the rear end hieght. Im wondering how tall of a rear tire I can put on it or do I  need new adjustable shocks?  :clueless:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013 - 01:46:47 AM by dvldwg89 »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013 - 06:32:42 AM »
Using shocks to raise the rear end is not a good idea.  Where they attach wasn't designed to support the weight of the car at all times.
If you want to raise the rear you can install larger tires (which will cause issues with wheel well fitment at some point), or change the leaf springs.  A few companies make springs with more arch, raising the car.  Most of them have a few options depending on the height you are looking for. If you just want a small lift, it is also possible to add a leaf to your existing spring pack.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013 - 08:34:52 AM »
Using shocks to raise the rear end is not a good idea.  Where they attach wasn't designed to support the weight of the car at all times.
If you want to raise the rear you can install larger tires (which will cause issues with wheel well fitment at some point), or change the leaf springs.  A few companies make springs with more arch, raising the car.  Most of them have a few options depending on the height you are looking for. If you just want a small lift, it is also possible to add a leaf to your existing spring pack.
Thanks that is good information. I did more reading and I agree that shocks are not the answer. I'm leanning towards 15x8 inch rims with taller and wider tires on the rear. Hopefully that will raise the rear and using the right tire on the front will put the front a little bit lower then the rear.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013 - 08:36:22 AM »
275 60 is about as tall as you can get in 28.5 " tall

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013 - 09:46:47 AM »
With your current 14" set up, you could turn down the front torsion bar adjusters, maybe about one full turn each (counterclockwise) to drop the nose some.

If you decide to go 15" tires, then I'd recommend a staggered tire fitting to get the rake you want. 255/60 or 275/60 rear and 235/60 front. This would produce about a 1" rake.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013 - 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks guys. Question how do I know if I can fit the 275 60 15 in my wheel well? Is that a standard for Cudas in general stock setup?

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013 - 07:56:24 PM »
I've been reading the pinned rims and tires post. I'm wondering with a 15x8 rear rim with 4 1/2 backspace how wide of a tire can I fit without rubbing?  Most of the post are for Challengers. Don't see much for Cudas. Again I have a stock rear end.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013 - 08:29:04 PM »
275 / 60 is common on an E body with a 15 " rim

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013 - 09:32:58 PM »
275 / 60 is common on an E body with a 15 " rim
Thanks

Offline Madmaxx

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013 - 09:54:43 PM »
yup, 275/60-15 on an 8 wide 4.5 b.s.  now it never rubbed until I put a passenger in the car..then it barely rubbed..i trimmed it slightly..no rub now!..i have had a lot of kudo's on the look...I really like it!!..good luck...

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013 - 10:16:28 PM »
yup, 275/60-15 on an 8 wide 4.5 b.s.  now it never rubbed until I put a passenger in the car..then it barely rubbed..i trimmed it slightly..no rub now!..i have had a lot of kudo's on the look...I really like it!!..good luck...

8 inch rim with a 275 sidewall   :iagree:

But if you plan on going Rallye rims set at 8" width;  then you'll have a 1" gap between the beauty ring and the wheel.   :banghead: Looks bad IMO.

Would be so nice if they made an OEM looking 15 x 8 rallye wheel beauty rings for 70-74's.   :2cents:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013 - 12:20:48 AM »
8 inch rim with a 275 sidewall   :iagree:

But if you plan on going Rallye rims set at 8" width;  then you'll have a 1" gap between the beauty ring and the wheel.   :banghead: Looks bad IMO.

Would be so nice if they made an OEM looking 15 x 8 rallye wheel beauty rings for 70-74's.   :2cents:
Ya I'm not going to use ralleye rims. Whatever rim I choose will fit the 275s in my wheel wells. I've got some time to decide. I'm leaning towards a torque thrust style rim.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013 - 09:34:53 AM »
There's another set of 14" road wheels on Moparts. Check out the "wheels and tires" section.