Author Topic: Performance Transmissions in Clinton IL ?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Racer57

Performance Transmissions in Clinton IL ?
« on: August 14, 2013 - 10:17:23 PM »
70 Cuda HP 383

I've been having problems with my current 4 speed.  I just found out about Performance Transmissions in Clinton IL which is 1 1/2 hr drive from me.  Over the phone quote without having seen the car for final pricing they want $3,500 - $4,000 to install a new flywheel, clutch, bellhousing and Ford 5-speed into my car.

Is this shop a good place to go and how does the price sound ?

Offline bigblue73

Re: Performance Transmissions in Clinton IL ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013 - 10:45:33 AM »
Is that a cost for the labor only or everything?

Offline Racer57

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013 - 04:16:36 PM »
Is that a cost for the labor only or everything?

Everything.

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013 - 04:52:18 PM »
What 5 speed?  T5 - TKO?  Please use caution as some boxes can't take a big blocks torque.  The problem persists in the 3rd gear diametral pitches being very close to equal therefore negating torque multiplication and they knock the teeth right off the gears.

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013 - 04:53:00 PM »
Price for everything is real good by the way.

Offline Racer57

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013 - 09:35:22 PM »
What 5 speed?  T5 - TKO?  Please use caution as some boxes can't take a big blocks torque.  The problem persists in the 3rd gear diametral pitches being very close to equal therefore negating torque multiplication and they knock the teeth right off the gears.

He had said that as long as I stuck with my 383 and stayed away from the drag strip the T5 would be ok.  But it all depends on what I want/expect/$$$ as to what they would install.
They do their own fabrication when needed and appear to have a very high quality rating from everyone that I've spoken to locally so far.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013 - 03:23:24 AM »
He had said that as long as I stuck with my 383 and stayed away from the drag strip the T5 would be ok. 

This sounds to me like they're saying "As long as you don't plan to use the motor to its full potential, the trans will be fine." If that's the case, I guess it depends on how you want to drive it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Racer57

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013 - 08:40:48 AM »
This sounds to me like they're saying "As long as you don't plan to use the motor to its full potential, the trans will be fine." If that's the case, I guess it depends on how you want to drive it.

I felt like he meant that as long as I didn't do any high rpm gear banging shifts it would be ok.  In my younger days that would've been an issue, but now days I appreciate what I have a lot better.  :D

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013 - 10:30:03 AM »
Ill dig up some information for you.  In stock form the 383 produced 335 ftlbs. of torque.  I think you may be at the limit.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013 - 11:21:43 AM »
You will be better suited if you set your sights on a TKO-600. I had my TKO-500 beefed up by MMR in Oxnard, CA. Before I ever installed it I boxed it up and sent it out. They cryogenic treated the gears and some shifter work. It is supposed to let it live up to 700 hp/ 600 lb/ft or something like that.
You should never compromise. When you have the chance spend the extra $ and get something that exceeds your power rating not  meet it. You're asking for trouble!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013 - 12:25:51 PM »
I felt like he meant that as long as I didn't do any high rpm gear banging shifts it would be ok.  In my younger days that would've been an issue, but now days I appreciate what I have a lot better.  :D

I think we're saying the same thing with different language  :grinyes:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Racer57

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013 - 01:13:38 PM »
You will be better suited if you set your sights on a TKO-600.

Does the floorboard need modifying and can my Hurst pistol grip shifter still be used and in the factory location ? What about the 2-3rd shift problems I've heard about ?

I'll find all this stuff out when I take the car to them, but its nice to have a heads-up as to what to expect.

Back to my original question........ Is anyone familiar with the company ?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013 - 01:25:32 PM by Racer57 »

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013 - 02:41:00 PM »
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

Here is an article from Modern Driveline that states the history of the T5.  This transmission was in everything.  I think the highest torque rating was in the Cobra Mustang at 310 lbsft. 

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013 - 02:53:47 PM »
I believe the floorpan does not need to be modified.  The shifter however is another problem - It will penetrate the floor in the torsion bar cross member area, which will require modifications to retain the strength.  The transmission is an internal rail design, which is nice and the shifter is located on the center line of transmission 19.25 inches from the face of the bell housing.  (You can lay under your car and see what it will get into)

The more that I think about the T5 swap it just baffles me because I'm saying why not.  It will fit, you can adapt it with a bell housing or adapter plate.  The issue is the torque.  However this is a very popular modification into the Mustangs (older).  Here are things to consider.  The mustang is 500 pounds lighter than the Cuda.  The more mass - the more torque it will require to get it moving.  And here is the kicker.....the torque are in final gear - meaning fifth gear.  How much torque will your motor make a 2200 rpm in 5th gear.  I say go for it and check these folks out and make sure they have done a Mopar E-Body in the past. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013 - 10:47:13 AM by bigblue73 »

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013 - 01:54:04 PM »
My advice - Wait!!

Jaimie Passon is real close for $4500. He is just stalled on shifter rods believe it or not. Got to be soon. And his takes 1 hour to install!! oh BTW ... and it fits and it will be strong as I have not heard of a failure in the beta test units which guys beat on. It has some very unique design technology such as taper bearings inside so nothing moves around like the sloppy joe stuff we have now. Only expense you may have to cough for above that is an 18 spline clutch disc and TO bearing if you are not equipped with that now.
Anyway whatever you go with the 5th gear will be awesome.
Barry (Salmon Arm)