Author Topic: need some help with some questions  (Read 640 times)

Offline mopar steve

• on the way restore
need some help with some questions
« on: August 15, 2013 - 10:17:38 AM »
im restoring a 73 challenger that had a 340 in it with a automatic 727 trans the old owner had it sitting in a field rotting away floor deep in mud so when i perchased it the block was in the passenger seat all turn down and the trany was next to it so im thinking instead of rebuilding the small block and going with a big block so do i have to change the k member to handle a 440 or can i use the original k member also will the trany mount up to a big block im hereing alot of yes and no's from the penut gallery i hang out with but they are chevy/ford people and i figured i will get the right answer from mopar guy

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: need some help with some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013 - 01:50:14 PM »
no need to change the K-member. The 727 will not bolt to the BB.
*** Bart ***

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013 - 01:57:37 PM »
Your 440 with a 727 will drop in and bolt up to the factory mounts and transmission crossmember. :2cents:

HOWEVER....
Your current small block 727 WILL NOT bolt up to your 440. You will need to find a big block 727, which are quite common.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013 - 08:09:22 PM »
And among other things, you will need the block motor mounts for a big block as well.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline mopar steve

• on the way restore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013 - 12:27:19 AM »
thank you everybody for the replys sound like im going with a 440 there might  be a stripped down 340  and a set of j head for sale