Author Topic: Tire opinions on 15 inch rims  (Read 10613 times)

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
Tire opinions on 15 inch rims
« on: August 21, 2013 - 12:49:49 AM »
OK I've done a lot of reading here on rims and tires. I'm am going away from 14 inch rims as tire choices are basically gone for that size rim. I decided on 15 inch rims. I've read enough bad news about BF goodrich TAs to steer me away from them. I looked at the Firestone indys  and the Mickey Thompson radials. I want raised white letter tires. The Nitto drag radial is nice but no letters. So if you have opinions on 15 inch raised white letter tires please share them.  :stirpot: This is the rim I'm looking at getting.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013 - 01:19:23 AM by dvldwg89 »

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
Re: Tire opinions on 15 inch rims
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013 - 05:44:10 AM »
There aren't many left. The Firestone Indy 500s are now discontinued so the MTs and BFGs are all that's left.
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013 - 06:19:04 AM »
I've never used these but in 275/60/15:

Hankook Ventus H101
National XT Renegade
Hoosier Quick Time D.O.T. Drag Racing Tire
Cooper Cobra G/T RWL

They also make tire paint pens (in white) if you wanted to color in the lettering on a black wall.  I haven't used those either, I suspect they wouldn't hold up if you do a lot of driving.

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013 - 09:12:16 AM »
What's bad about the BFGs?
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013 - 09:56:57 AM »
What's bad about the BFGs?
I read several different forum reviews.  :chatting: Tires out of round bad vibrations at speed. Tires coming apart after only 1000 miles. Horrible handling in any wet condition. Hard rubber design leading to all these issues. Many comments about using Firestone or Cooper tires after running BFGs.Reported much better handling and wet driving performance. 50000 plus miles on both those brands without the issues listed for BFGs. Many reported using the BFGs do to the good looks only to find out the lack of good performance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013 - 09:59:01 AM by dvldwg89 »

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013 - 11:28:45 AM »
I've used BFG TA's on several cars through the years and never had any issues with them other than they are more for looks than performance.  My next set of tires are definitely going to be the M/T Street radials because like you I want to stay with 15" rims that just look right to me on these cars.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013 - 05:17:07 PM »
I use General Grabber. 275 60 AND 235 60 -15.   I never saw any review on those here. Are they available in the states?  For me it was about the only option besides BFG, which I didn`t want.
*** Bart ***

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013 - 07:33:52 PM »
I use General Grabber. 275 60 AND 235 60 -15.   I never saw any review on those here. Are they available in the states?  For me it was about the only option besides BFG, which I didn`t want.

Walmart sells them here in the states.

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013 - 09:48:42 PM »
I'm leaning towards Mickey Thompsons  or Cooper Cobras
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013 - 10:03:08 PM by dvldwg89 »

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013 - 12:50:12 AM »
I've used BFG TA's on several cars through the years and never had any issues with them other than they are more for looks than performance.  My next set of tires are definitely going to be the M/T Street radials because like you I want to stay with 15" rims that just look right to me on these cars.

Later, Jim
:2thumbs: I agree. I'm not a fan of big rims/ small sidewall tires , I like the big tire look on 15 inch rims.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013 - 02:46:45 AM »
BFG T/A's are practically hockey puck rubber, and are a special breed of horrible sliding death trap in the rain.

That said, most of the offerings in a 15" diameter and reasonable width aren't much better, especially if you limit yourself to raised white lettering. I suppose I'd get the MT's if I had to choose.

This is exactly the reason why I run 17's on my Challenger, there are basically no performance street tires left in a 15" diameter. For cruising to car shows or driving around on the weekend it doesn't matter as much, but if you drive year round in all weather conditions and still want to run a decent sized tire and put power to the ground you basically have to go to 17 or 18" wheels.

I run 275/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4's on my Challenger, they work pretty darn well in most conditions. Believe it or not, they even have a Mud&Snow rating. They do ok, but they're better in just the wet.  :thumbsup:

You sure as heck wouldn't catch me doing this with a set of BFG's!  :grinno:

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013 - 05:43:24 AM »
BFG T/A's are practically hockey puck rubber, and are a special breed of horrible sliding death trap in the rain.

That said, most of the offerings in a 15" diameter and reasonable width aren't much better, especially if you limit yourself to raised white lettering. I suppose I'd get the MT's if I had to choose.

This is exactly the reason why I run 17's on my Challenger, there are basically no performance street tires left in a 15" diameter. For cruising to car shows or driving around on the weekend it doesn't matter as much, but if you drive year round in all weather conditions and still want to run a decent sized tire and put power to the ground you basically have to go to 17 or 18" wheels.

I run 275/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4's on my Challenger, they work pretty darn well in most conditions. Believe it or not, they even have a Mud&Snow rating. They do ok, but they're better in just the wet.  :thumbsup:

You sure as heck wouldn't catch me doing this with a set of BFG's!  :grinno:

Im glad you enjoy the 17 toyos. I just cant stomach the look of 17 or 18 inch rims on a classic car. It just doesnt look right to me.
 Ill sacrifice some road performance to stay with 15s.
Most reviews I have read give the MT and Cooper Cobra a much better rating then the BFG.
 I Never drive my car in snow. It hasnt seen a drop of rain in 20 years.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013 - 09:34:09 AM »
FWIW, Mickey Thompson ST are made by Copper and share the same carcass and tread design as the Cobra. The Mickey Thompson SR is a unique design and probably the most modern street performance carcass out there and has an H speed rating. However, they don't come with RWL. Maxxiss Marauder MA-S1 is another modern carcass design with a tread reminiscent of the old Goodyear Gatorbacks. Decent tire with H speed rating, but again, no RWL.

For some bargain price 15" with RWL there are also Dean Stingers and Multi-Mile offerings. Most of these can be found at smaller local outlets.

If you don't like the sidewall height on car tires on 17" rims, look into truck or SUV tires. Many of those come with 45, 50 and 55 aspect ratios to restore some sidewall height.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013 - 01:44:23 PM »
There aren't many left. The Firestone Indy 500s are now discontinued

PUHLEASE tell me you are kidding!!?!?!!?!?     :bricks1: :22yikes: :swear: :stomp: :pullinghair: :banghead: :bricks1: :bricks1:

Offline erat340

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013 - 02:06:37 PM »
B&B...you sure in the heck wouldnt catch me driving in that slop with my ride ......wiht ANY tire.