Author Topic: 73-74 Cuda & Challenger Owners: Rubber Block Bumperettes?  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
73-74 Cuda & Challenger Owners: Rubber Block Bumperettes?
« on: August 21, 2013 - 10:52:11 AM »
For those of you with 73-74 cars that originally came with the large rubber front & rear bumperettes, if you left them on was it because 1) you wanted to keep the car original looking no matter what, or 2) you actually like the way they look?  When I first got the Barracuda the first thing I was going to do was get those ugly things off the car.  Since then I've concentrated on other things to make the car dependable and driveable and in the meantime I've kind of gotten used to the bumperettes.  That and I've gained an appreciation for a 40 year old car that has been left stock after all this time.  So why did you leave your 'ugly?' bumperettes on?

Thanks, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: 73-74 Cuda & Challenger Owners: Rubber Block Bumperettes?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013 - 11:47:40 AM »
I actually put them back on my car when I bought it, previous owners had removed them.

I prefer them to having holes everywhere....especially in the rear where they cover that section of valance.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013 - 11:52:28 AM »
Since my dad bought the car brand new, the 73 is what I was used to seeing.  The first 72 I saw...the front end looked naked without the bumper guards.  I like the look of the 73's.  I don't think they are ugly at all.  In 74, the guards got a lot larger.  Those look ridiculously big IMO.  If I had a 74, I'd put 73 bumper guards on it.

If I was building a modern Pro Touring Challenger, I'd leave them off simply because "less is more".  It's a cleaner look if the bumpers are pushed right in to the body and the guards are removed. 

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013 - 12:29:34 PM »
I actually put them back on my car when I bought it, previous owners had removed them.

I prefer them to having holes everywhere....especially in the rear where they cover that section of valance.

Yeah, if I remove mine I'm going to go with 72 bumpers, brackets that tuck in the bumpers & smaller chrome only bumperettes on the back.  I totally agree that just taking them off doesn't look right either.

Thanks, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013 - 12:36:03 PM »
Since my dad bought the car brand new, the 73 is what I was used to seeing.  The first 72 I saw...the front end looked naked without the bumper guards.  I like the look of the 73's.  I don't think they are ugly at all.  In 74, the guards got a lot larger.  Those look ridiculously big IMO.  If I had a 74, I'd put 73 bumper guards on it.

If I was building a modern Pro Touring Challenger, I'd leave them off simply because "less is more".  It's a cleaner look if the bumpers are pushed right in to the body and the guards are removed.

After reading up on them I found out Chrysler had to go to a larger 10 mph bumper guard in 74 vs the 5 mph guard on the 73's.  The first time I saw the much larger rear rubber block I thought someone had put the wrong bumperette on but now I know differently.  I guess I've sort of gotten used to the look on mine like you did growing up with yours.  Plus, if your Dad kept it that way I wouldn't change it even I didn't like the look.  Its cool you have the same car, one of my kids is going to get my 70 Roadrunner that I bought used in 1974 as my first car.

Later, Jim

Offline 7212Mopar

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013 - 02:31:16 PM »
I replaced my rear bumper last week and put my refurbished 73 bumperettes back on. I need them to cover the holes at the rear valence by the spring hangers. They actually don't look bad at all. I kept them off the front bumper though.

I was struggling between the 73 and 72 bumpers at the back for a bit. I kind of like the plastic insert of the 73 finished in argent silver matching my tail section. So I got the new 73 rear bumper and save a few dollars without buying new 72 bumperrettes and brackets.
1973 Challenger Rallye, AT with 1971 340
2012 Challenger SRT8 392 YJ,  6 spd

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013 - 05:48:07 PM »
I removed mine just cuz I don't like the look. I plugged the holes with bumper bolts.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013 - 06:22:33 PM »
I replaced my rear bumper last week and put my refurbished 73 bumperettes back on. I need them to cover the holes at the rear valence by the spring hangers. They actually don't look bad at all. I kept them off the front bumper though.

I was struggling between the 73 and 72 bumpers at the back for a bit. I kind of like the plastic insert of the 73 finished in argent silver matching my tail section. So I got the new 73 rear bumper and save a few dollars without buying new 72 bumperrettes and brackets.

Its the fronts that bothered me the most too, but I think I'm going to go all the way with the 73 correct look front & back or swap everything out to 72 style.   I have to say I've seen a car with the back blocks left on and the fronts removed and it didn't look bad at all.

Later, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013 - 06:25:15 PM »
I removed mine just cuz I don't like the look. I plugged the holes with bumper bolts.

That would definitely work on the front especially, and unless you knew where to look wouldn't even realize they're 'plugged'.  Leaving the back bumperettes off is harder to make look right to me unless you go with 72 bumper brackets, bumperettes, etc.

Thanks, jim

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013 - 06:57:54 PM »
Its the fronts that bothered me the most too, but I think I'm going to go all the way with the 73 correct look front & back or swap everything out to 72 style.   I have to say I've seen a car with the back blocks left on and the fronts removed and it didn't look bad at all.

Later, Jim

I would keep both. Maybe I don't mind the 73-74 bumper guards as much as others do.   :dunno:

I've seen them removed from the front and kept in the back. I've seen them removed from both front and back and that leaves an unsightly area in the rear valence panel where the bumper guards should have been. 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013 - 07:13:47 PM »

or 2) you actually like the way they look?

:roflsmiley:

what makes it so funny for me is you used the word "actually". i never cared for them.  i think the '72 has a cleaner look
with the small bumperettes. when i got my '74 Challenger, i couldn't believe the difference between the 2's and the 3-4's.
it's not just the bumper guards on the 3-4's, but it's that big honkin steel plate between the bracket and bumper. i had extra
'72 style bumpers so i just put them on.

Offline 73RallyeChallenger

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013 - 07:18:16 PM »
For me... original was the only way to go. The bumper guards were missing when I bought the car in 2009. I spent a small fortune, hunting down a couple of sets that I could put together to get one good set (clean brackets and hardware too), and had them re-chromed. When I had the car in the World of Wheels, I had more guys mention the hood turn signals indicators and how ugly they are, then they mentioned any thing about the bumper guards. I like the cars all original, call me crazy.
73 Triple Black 340 Challenger
70 Plum Crazy T/A Challenger - work in progress (AGAR)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013 - 07:27:21 PM »
Leaving the back bumperettes off is harder to make look right to me unless you go with 72 bumper brackets, bumperettes, etc.

Thanks, jim
I welded rectangular pieces of metal in to the gap in the valence that was for the bumperettes, then painted the valence. So unless you are an avid mopar guy, you can't tell anything is missing.  :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 7212Mopar

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013 - 08:10:54 PM »
73RC, nice Challenger. Is the inside black as well? The picture shows kind of bluish, the light may be?

As for the fender mounted signal lights, that is one of my favorite feature on the Mopar E bodies. I think it is cool and have it on my past 72 and my 73 now. Next may be the "DODGE" letters on the hood, but both of my cars don't have it  :(. I know I can get them but drilling the hood makes me nervous.
1973 Challenger Rallye, AT with 1971 340
2012 Challenger SRT8 392 YJ,  6 spd

Offline 73RallyeChallenger

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013 - 08:35:01 PM »
73RC, nice Challenger. Is the inside black as well? The picture shows kind of bluish, the light may be?

As for the fender mounted signal lights, that is one of my favorite feature on the Mopar E bodies. I think it is cool and have it on my past 72 and my 73 now. Next may be the "DODGE" letters on the hood, but both of my cars don't have it  :(. I know I can get them but drilling the hood makes me nervous.

Interior is black. Well, the Ultimate Rides dash is more of a dark grey color, lol. Blue interior would have been cool though. Could be the tinted windows and lightning giving off lighter color.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013 - 08:40:15 PM by 73RallyeChallenger »
73 Triple Black 340 Challenger
70 Plum Crazy T/A Challenger - work in progress (AGAR)