Author Topic: Credit Card  (Read 1125 times)

Offline BadJoey

Credit Card
« on: August 22, 2013 - 06:41:17 PM »
Just looking at my statement and there is a $240.00 charge on there for a ferry ride in Great Britin ? The ***** is I can't even spell it  . Never mind have I been there . Credit card is closed now and I guess I'm lucky it wasn't worst . This is a first for me and I'm not happy about it . Just venting and thanks for reading . :bricks1:

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

Re: Credit Card
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013 - 06:53:31 PM »
It happens ALL. THE. TIME.  I get reports of this several times a week.  Good CC hygene on the internet protects most.  Also be aware of "skimmers" on ATM's and gas pumps.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013 - 06:58:04 PM »
It's a sad world we live in . . . .

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013 - 07:01:42 PM »
Scanners aren't 100% reliable either.  Mistakes do sometimes happen.  Make sure you file a dispute.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013 - 08:32:21 PM »
I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if the CC companies operate the same in the USA, but I was contacted three time in the last four years about suspicious charges. The CC company called me. Conversation went something like " Did you buy shoes in Orlando? - Me - 'No', CC company, "How about a laptop in Toronto?", me - 'No', CC company "Luggage in Los Angeles?" - Me - "No". then they said they are cancelling the card and I will not be responsible for the transactions. I ask when I will be re-issued a Visa and they said it will arrive within the week. It did and all ok. THREE TIMES!!!. The CC Company never charged me for any of the phoney charges. I thought that was pretty decent. I don't pay for any kind of CC card protection insurance.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013 - 08:38:28 PM »
It's happened to me three times. You'll get used to it.   :banghead:

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013 - 08:55:53 PM »
It's because of occurances like those that I check my statement/transactions on-line on a daily basis.
It only takes a few seconds to stay on top things.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013 - 09:10:32 PM »
It's because of occurances like those that I check my statement/transactions on-line on a daily basis.
It only takes a few seconds to stay on top things.

Check out Mint, its a nice app that lets you track all your accounts from 1 log-on.  Really nice / easy to check all your accounts.
I can look at several different credit cards, bank accounts, even 401k just by checking my Mint account. Beats having to remember 16 different log-on's and passwords.

https://www.mint.com/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013 - 09:14:41 PM by Katfish »

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013 - 02:38:46 PM »
My credit card once had a charge for $1500.00 in stereo equipment bought at a store somewhere in the middle east! I just read somewhere that hackers are now spoofing apps on smartphones so beware if you do any banking with your phone!

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013 - 02:56:59 PM »
My credit card once had a charge for $1500.00 in stereo equipment bought at a store somewhere in the middle east! I just read somewhere that hackers are now spoofing apps on smartphones so beware if you do any banking with your phone!

:iagree: Be careful, they can walk by and suck information off your cell phone without ever touching you now.

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013 - 07:57:35 PM »
Check out Mint, its a nice app that lets you track all your accounts from 1 log-on.  Really nice / easy to check all your accounts.
I can look at several different credit cards, bank accounts, even 401k just by checking my Mint account. Beats having to remember 16 different log-on's and passwords.

https://www.mint.com/
Mint is real nice, however I don't feel comfortable giving them my passwords to all my bank logins. I use a Desktop app for that, a little less convenient though.
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013 - 08:54:38 PM »
When I was last in America, 2007, I filedl up at the gas station and I didn't realize my card dropped out of my pocket. Fortunately I discovered it missing within a few minutes, had a quick look so rang Australia and had card cancelled. The CC company asked me if I had just bought a cup of coffee a few minutes ago, no I hadn't, they didn't have my fill up of gas but somehow got that. Anyway a bloke who I suspected may have picked it up came out of the gas station with a cup of coffee and spoke with his wife which I over heard, "well that worked, lets go and get something to eat at the restaurant next door". Pretty sure he had it but it was cancelled so I would love to see the look on his face when he was presented the bill for the meal. The CC company said to me that it was common for a stolen card to have a small purchase made to see if it was still active.   :2thumbs:

On a couple of other occasions I used my CC to make large purchases and before I had finalized the transaction I received a phone call to confirm that it was me making the purchase, that was here in Australia though.
Dave

Offline Gumby

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013 - 04:35:10 AM »
You can buy stainless steel woven wallets that will prevent the passing of information from your credit card to anybody else. Every major store that you walk into (WalMart, etc.) has the ability to read your card the moment you walk in. As said above, thieves can "swipe" your information as you simply walk past them. John Stossel had a story on this not long ago, and there are vids on youTube about the stores tracking your purchases and movements, even if you don't purchase anything. It's real, and it is out there.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013 - 06:09:57 AM »
Forgot about that!! I am buying a wallet with the lining this weekend. I guess there was somthing to that tin foil hat theory after all. :clueless:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013 - 06:33:15 AM »
How are you sure that the wallet just doesn,t act as a transmitter and give the collector sensory a better signal.  :dunno: