Author Topic: Never really thought it would happen to ME  (Read 1389 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Never really thought it would happen to ME
« on: August 27, 2013 - 03:12:39 AM »
Over 20 years ago I graduated college magna cum laude with a degree in communications media (tv production) and I started freelancing right away and did so for a good 7 years , most of my work being at one company. They at some point decided to cut all freelancers so I was worried but they offered me a job. Took a pay cut but figured it would pay off in the long run.  That was in 98. Spent the last 15 years building my reputation and working hard to do the best I could and do the best for the company. I ewas overlooked numerous times for promotions and such but no problem....figured my time would come if I just put the effort into it. Then our company was taken over by another company about 5 years back.  That company, based in NY, was full of people who wanted to do my job but couldn't....I did my best to help out and keep things contained, plugging away.  Came up with new ideas and they were shot down, then found a version of them being done by the NY folks with them getting the credit. Still kept busting ass to do my best. Then 6 months ago or less we are told a new boss is taking over...an imported person from a major company...supposed to "turn our company around" as far as PR and such.  I was thinking it would be a breath of fresh air...new blood, she would see what was going on and fix stuff and I could really shine.  She hired two new folks to run the new divisions she set up and again I thought "this could be a great opportunity!"   But I was never given that chance.   The new manager and the guy she hired showed up today unannounced and we all wondered what that meant.   Then I get called into a conference room and there she is with an HR rep.  My job has been eliminated. "We are going in another direction" is all she would say.   20 plus years down the tubes. The few shares of stock I was granted as a "bonus" are worth nothing now since they have a clawback in them.  My 401k is now stagnant til I figure out what is going on.  My future is now a big question mark.  Luckily I get some severance so I will not be on the street tomorrow.  But the prospect of starting over is daunting. I honestly thought that if I just plugged away and did as I was told and did my best and tried to please evryone I would in the long run at least be assured of a job.   I guess not. Starting over at almost 46.  Now what.

Offline RCCDrew

Re: Never really thought it would happen to ME
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013 - 05:30:13 AM »
Sorry to hear about your job. This probably sounds crappy right now, but maybe this is an opportunity for you. From what you typed, you were under appreciated for years. Hopefully you can find a place that appreciates your talents, or you can find a niche that fits you better. I don't know anything about what you do, but maybe online journalism, or even automotive. Maybe you can do your own blogs. Go pursue your passion.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013 - 07:14:32 AM »
Very sorry to hear that.  I'm sure it's tough to take, especially if you don't see it coming.  I wish you the best of luck in getting a new job.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013 - 07:44:25 AM »
Sorry to hear this too. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. It sure takes the wind out of your sails if you let it. 
Any idea what the job prospects in your field in your area are like? Or is a major move in your future? What about freelancing again?  Starting your own business?  That's what I did, sure beats working for someone else!
46 is not too old! ( we are the same age btw)
 Keep you chin up and your eyes open!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013 - 08:07:34 AM »
Sorry about your job situation.  I believe that all things happen for a reason and you will soon see that better opportunities are coming for you. You have worked hard and you know your business. Something good will come your way....   :thumbsup:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013 - 08:20:59 AM »
Sorry about your job situation.  I believe that all things happen for a reason and you will soon see that better opportunities are coming for you. You have worked hard and you know your business. Something good will come your way....   :thumbsup:

:iagree: Take the world by the horns and make it happen for yourself.  Good luck, let us know how you do.  :2thumbs:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013 - 09:00:18 AM »
The world has changed in previous generations loyalty to a company was worth something now the bean counter rule if they can save a nickle no matter what the cost they will , loyalty is nothing on either side anymore . Move on you will do beter as a contractor or self employed .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013 - 10:08:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about that! It seems like that's happening more and more these days....the people who work hard for their company, reap no benefits, while it seems the people who do nothing advance.  Its a dang shame.  But like others have said, this may be a good opportunity.  I worked with a guy who worked really hard and got let go over some BS. Anyway, he started his own website/business and is doing better than before and no longer has to work for "the man" but instead himself.  Prayers going up for you, and I know that right door will be opened!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013 - 10:58:22 AM »
Sorry to hear . . .  :walkaway:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013 - 12:27:42 PM »
Been there on more than one occasion. I have a very good friend who used to tell me that if he worked hard for a company the company would take care of him. I always used to say "Don't put your faith in that." He got laid off after a buyout.

You definitely need to take care of yourself in the workplace. It's wonderful to want to do a good job, but when it comes to decisions that can affect your future and the future of your employment, make decisions for yourself and not for a company.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013 - 12:53:53 PM »

Having been through this cycle twice I can tell you from experience that the new world hires on relationships. So I would recommend you reach out to folks you have worked with and see what opportunities might be out there. Take them to lunch learn about their company and drive it that way. Even if you have to leverage one of your contacts to reach other that's okay too! Remember you are the sales person for your career so take the bull by the horns.

If you give us an idea of what areas you would be willing to work in you might just find some contacts on here!

What a great community here.  :2thumbs:

B
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013 - 03:21:45 PM »
Since you had or have so many contacts perhaps you can contact some of your previous employers clients and steal them away and open your own business :stirpot:

Offline MTS-Challenger

• Vanishing Point - "Catch Me If You Can"
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013 - 03:57:38 PM »

I here you shadango, big companies only look at the bottom line nowadays and use the practice of personal revolving - hire low, fire high and out source for cheaper cost.

I worked in California Silicon Valley for 25 years plus and the thinking is the same. So most people have learned the following - work at a company for 2-5 years, find a new job before they lay you off. If you waited to long your sure to get laid off by year 7-8. Sad but true - been there, seen it.

Words of encouragement -
Opportunities are yours to choose and the world is at your feet..... or what I like'd from Scarface " The World is Yours".
1970 Challenger R/T 440

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013 - 06:28:52 PM »
I just hit 10 years at my job and that is the longest job I`ve ever had. It`s a small company and the bosses are cool, one is even a gearhead and they do value their employees but only to a certain point. I have never been one to give my life to a job, I do the best I can and work hard but I know I`m still only a number and I have to look out for myself first!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013 - 07:59:20 PM »
Lots of great advice guys - tyhanks from my heart.

Sitting here feeling like a damn loser even though I know its not me....they wanted all of the work I was doing done out of the head office in NY rather than where I am......they already gave my job to the guy who I trained......Senior Multimedia Producer....I was the only one in the company now he is. But he has literally NO experience...buys templates to do his work and I create from scratch.....

I just dont know how to start over.

Its my fault. I have been complacent in my job as far as my own development -- concentrated on getting the overwork done well -  and let them pigeon hole me ...thought I was doing right by them and me and in the end they chuck me like yesterdays trash.....

Amazing how one decision to hire one new executive can put so many things into motion and so many lives in turmoil.  They eliminated two other folks the same day they did me.  And from what I hear there may be "more changes" to come.

How did you guys get through the depression?  I just keep thinking and syaing to myself - "Now what?".  It just seems so hopeless...even a ride in the fish today couldnt get me out of it.....went to sleep last night in front of the tv at 11 and woke up at 1:30 and couldnt sleep again....couldnt eat til 3 oclock and it went roght thru me.  I am trying to stay strong for my kids and my wife but man I am scared.  They deserve better.

I used to joke about how with all the life insurance etc I have I am worth waaaaaay more in the hole than walking.   Its even more clear now.

Dont take this the wrong way -- I would never consider anything dumb....that company's bad decision isnt worth that.....and I know my family needs me.....but damn, its demoralizing when you think about the financial numbers....

And I dont know if I want to stay here and find another job in teh same industry or another one or move somewhere new altogether.   I really want to move but starting a new career on top of uprooting the family, i dont know if I could take that stress..LOL

Since you asked, I am a video editor and producer by trade....started on tape formats back in 91 after graduating with a degree in comm media (magna cum laude if I do say so myself)....started freelancing for a major financial company in our region and did that for 6 or 7 years - they were phasing out freelancers and offered me a full time position albeit with a big pay cut...I took it banking on the future.   That lasted 15 years to almost the day.  Managed/produced 100 (on average) video productions or AV projects in a typical year for the last 6 of those. Hired and managed crews all across the world. Edited as much as I could in house and contracted out other projects and managing those projects.  A lot of internally focused training/communication videos, webcasts, events etc. Some externally facing webcasts  and videos in the last several years. Did my own project management, established branding and video standards, built a set (that alone was a $150-200k project).  I managed  approximately $200,000 or so worth of crew expenses and such in a typical year by my rough estimation.

I was basically am anager but instead, in that company, I was a one man agency/editor/videographer.

Financial services industry.

Would love to get into a similar job but in a new and more exciting industry.

I have always dreamed of working with music video - but I am 45 and that is a young man's industry. Plus, not much in the way of music video production in Pittsburgh....LOL

Geezuz....sorry for the long post.