Author Topic: Insurance and winter storage  (Read 1854 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Insurance and winter storage
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013 - 09:01:11 AM »
Mine is higher becuse i am under the custom plan.  Modifided cars apparently cost more to insure.

Jason

Ya my Dad pays more than I do and his car is worth less than half of mine because his is classified as a "custom" ( 1940 Nash hotrod)
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013 - 11:11:01 AM »
I've never heard of storage rates, but my 2 vintage rides are with State Farm classic car coverage and they won't let me suspend all but comprehensive in the winter.  The rates are low enough I don't lose much sleep over it.
For my '09 Challenger, I call them after thanksgiving when I put the car in hibernation, and cancel all but comprehensive coverage, then sometime in March when I am ready to drive the car again, I call and resume all coverage. I don't have a loan on the car, if I did, I would have to keep full coverage at all times as that is a bank requirement. Having title in hand saves me more than just loan interest!  :thumbsup:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013 - 12:10:51 PM »
NIKKI is $338 a year full coverage. Not really a 'garage" rate but in Wis a car w a collector plate is not allowed on the road in January. Not that it would be anyway.  :dunno: I think that's cheap enuff.  The rate is based off the appraisal (which I had done at the top of the market some years back) so I think I have the advantage right now. The BIG GIRL is $109  :wave:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013 - 07:09:55 AM »
JH27N0B, I moved from State Farm to Hagerty a few years ago after talking to my agent and finding out that State Farm's policy is that, if your car is (in their definition) "totaled" then they do not pay you the agreed value, they find you a car that is "similar " (also in their definition).
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013 - 09:41:21 AM »
Agreed versus stated values is the issue. Collector car insurance companies are clearly Agreed value.  I went back and forth on that issue with my SF agent on that subject and he said they will pay the stated value on a loss.  But I'd feel more comfortable with a collector car specialty insurance company, even got quotes a while back, and switching is on my list of things to do.

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013 - 07:37:28 AM »
I am with statefarm classic vehicle insurance. 180/ year and when I take the comp off it's 9 bucks a month or soemthing ridiculous like that.  Insured for 22k CAD.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline kylem4711

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013 - 10:28:18 PM »
Old thread but thought I would still post. I went through AAA and will paying 280 a year, 250 deductible,  insured for 45k, I aaid I wouldbe driving 1k miles a year

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013 - 12:29:48 AM »
Old thread but thought I would still post. I went through AAA and will paying 280 a year, 250 deductible,  insured for 45k, I aaid I wouldbe driving 1k miles a year

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Not an old thread . . . I am still deciding what to do . . . I am actually thinking of just saying screw them and not have insurance during storage . . . . . (and they now get no money)   One car sits at moms and the other is here at the house.  Yeah I know . . . anything can happen but . . . .  :dunno:   

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013 - 07:45:18 AM »
Not an old thread . . . I am still deciding what to do . . . I am actually thinking of just saying screw them and not have insurance during storage . . . . . (and they now get no money)   One car sits at moms and the other is here at the house.  Yeah I know . . . anything can happen but . . . .  :dunno:

I felt this way untill a ladder fell on my car while in storage at my parents house.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013 - 07:47:05 AM »

Get a quote from one of the companies mentioned in this post?  :dunno:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0