Author Topic: Question about sheet metal  (Read 3657 times)

Offline 71 Ragtop

Question about sheet metal
« on: September 04, 2013 - 12:09:54 AM »
This may not be the most appropriate question as this board is sponsored by AMD, but I've also never been one to toe the PC line, so, here goes:

With all of the different companies making replacement sheet metal panels, is there really a difference?  I'm just starting my project, and while I want something that will last, it is certainly not a "money is no object" project.  In fact, money is a big object, and when I see upwards of $100.00 difference in the same part, I have to wonder if there is a reason, especially for parts that will never really be seen.  So, what experiences have you guys had?

Offline ek3

Re: Question about sheet metal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013 - 01:14:20 AM »
This may not be the most appropriate question as this board is sponsored by AMD, but I've also never been one to toe the PC line, so, here goes:

With all of the different companies making replacement sheet metal panels, is there really a difference?  I'm just starting my project, and while I want something that will last, it is certainly not a "money is no object" project.  In fact, money is a big object, and when I see upwards of $100.00 difference in the same part, I have to wonder if there is a reason, especially for parts that will never really be seen.  So, what experiences have you guys had?
   Have you ever heard the old MOROSO slogan  " MOROSO , THERE IS A DIFFERENCE " ???  you  get what you pay for  :2cents: [fit ,metal gauge,...]

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013 - 08:33:34 AM »
I would agree with the above statement..."You get what you pay for"  :2cents:

I think AMD has earned the right to be labeled as the "best available" as far as quality goes.

With the power of the internet, news travels pretty darn quick, both good and bad. If you put out a poor quality product, it doesn't take long for people to find out about it.

But you're correct...there are lower priced products out there and maybe you can save a few dollars here and there, it's really up to you to decide.

My experence with E Body trunk floors: The DII shared  the same thickness and quality of AMD. It's like they were stamped on the same dye by the same company overseas... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline culp71

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013 - 11:22:13 AM »
agree 100 percent,
on projects such as these they demand and deserve perfection (or as close as possible) don't skimp on any parts. especially sheet metal.
As far as sheet metal goes I have used many different brands for many e-bodies, anything from trunk floor, frame sections, fenders, (front and rear), inner & outer wheel wells, floor, hoods, header panels, valances ,door skins, roof skins and everything in between, overall AMD or (I personal purchase from Tamraz via eBay-which is AMD or better) is the best for body line, contour, gauge, finish and fitment.

On one car in particular I replaced the whole side, front to back (all outer body metal) the only brand that mimicked everything
(maintain size, shape, thickness and body lines, true) was AMD.

just my two cents!

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013 - 11:54:41 AM »
When I ordered all of my sheet metal from Roseville,  Dave gave me what he said was the best piece from
each manufacturer . So if AMD was better on quarter panels that is what I got. If Goodmark was better on
wheel houses, that is what I got. I even ordered a couple of pieces from Sherman because those pieces didn't
show anyway. And they fit nicely too as a bonus.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 71 Ragtop

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013 - 01:00:16 PM »
First of all, I certainly understand that you get what you pay for.  And while I'd love to have a T-Bone steak every night, sometimes a burger will have to do.

This build will never again be a daily driver, or left out in the weather, It is being built to drive, but not across the stage at Barrett Jackson.  I need to save some $$, and am wondering if there really is a $70.00 difference in outer wheel wells.  I guess I'm looking for the middle ground of quality and price.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013 - 01:14:38 PM »
Well I get your point for sure and fully understand. :cheers:

Unfortunately for me I outsource major metal work to my guy Keith Sim.  :money:

I always supply him with the reproduction metal parts that are required. So using your example, lets say my car needs outer wheel houses on both sides....I realize I can save $70/side which is a nice Steak dinner for the whole family...

So hypothetically, I buy the cheaper ones to put inside my AMD 1/4 panels and matched up to my original inner wheel houses. :thinkerg:

Then I go see Keith and he tells me....Don't know where the heck you got those outer wheel houses but I had to spend an extra 2 hours/side farting around with them to make them fit properly....So I have to add $280 to your bill this week....Cheers... :banghead:

Now if you're like a lot of guys on this web site and you're more than capable of doing your own metal work, :thumbsup: and dealing with issues that could possibly arise like this is just that extra challenge you were looking for....then great....enjoy that steak dinner ! :worshippy
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013 - 02:55:55 PM »
I used a mix of parts on my car and the AMD was better. The Goodmark and Sherman stuff I had was good enough, but if I was to do it again I would use all AMD. The quality of the bits and pieces was just plain old better.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline 71 Ragtop

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013 - 07:27:33 PM »
Well I get your point for sure and fully understand. :cheers:

Unfortunately for me I outsource major metal work to my guy Keith Sim.  :money:

I always supply him with the reproduction metal parts that are required. So using your example, lets say my car needs outer wheel houses on both sides....I realize I can save $70/side which is a nice Steak dinner for the whole family...

So hypothetically, I buy the cheaper ones to put inside my AMD 1/4 panels and matched up to my original inner wheel houses. :thinkerg:

Then I go see Keith and he tells me....Don't know where the heck you got those outer wheel houses but I had to spend an extra 2 hours/side farting around with them to make them fit properly....So I have to add $280 to your bill this week....Cheers... :banghead:

Now if you're like a lot of guys on this web site and you're more than capable of doing your own metal work, :thumbsup: and dealing with issues that could possibly arise like this is just that extra challenge you were looking for....then great....enjoy that steak dinner ! :worshippy

Ahhhhhh.  I see.  Save enough for a steak dinner now, and I could be buying "Keith's" family four steak diners later.  That is math that I can understand. :thinkerg:

Offline MizzouRT

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013 - 08:09:53 PM »
Yes, ANLAUTO is spot on.  Sheet metal that fits is a lot cheaper overall than sheet metal that requires more work and massaging to fit.  As previously noted by others, AMD has earned their reputation as having the best fit overall.  On my build, no issues with roof, both fenders, hood, trunk and door skins from AMD.  Replaced both bumpers as well, the AMD back bumper fit fine.  Vendor didn't have AMD front bumper in stock, so got another brand.  The fit wasn't terrible but it was too wide and no amount of adjusting could fix that.  I spent more $$$ having the original bumper cleaned up and rechromed and set the new, non-AMD bumper to the side.  So my personal experience is strong preference for AMD.   
Daily Driver: 2013 Challenger SRT 6 speed
Toy: 1970 Challenger

Offline Rich G

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013 - 12:02:44 AM »
I replaced just about every piece of metal on my 71 cuda with AMD. Everything fit nice with very little massaging. If your going to do that much work even if its just a driver, with the cost of paint alone Id want a better part. Its not like your gonna change it later. What's that saying, the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013 - 02:50:00 AM »

AMD

Done

You won't be sorry... (spent over 8k in metal alone - yep all AMD)
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013 - 12:22:32 PM »
It's too bad we can't have magazines or ??? do fittment and quality comparisons of each panel from each manufacturer.

Like I'm curious on the front fenders.  Goodmark was 1st to get '71 'Cuda fenders, then AMD came out.  Really, which one is better?   ditto one-piece trunk panels.  Quarters.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Edison1970

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013 - 08:26:05 PM »
I think that everyone here has shared some great input.  Everyone's situation is different.  If I had an large budget, I might have gone with AMD parts but $$ are limited.  Overall, I was satisfied with the Goodmark quarter, tail panel and trunk extension.  The parts did need some work but the factory metal I was attaching to was also not installed that well so that is what added to my time.  The parts I was dissatisfied with was the 2 piece trunk pan and trunk pan braces from Year One.  The pans weren't cut well and after everything was installed, I realized that they didn't drill the holes correctly for the J-bolts to hold the tank up.  I actually had to cut the steel panel that the bumper attaches to to access them and make the holes bigger.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013 - 07:58:41 AM »
It's too bad we can't have magazines or ??? do fittment and quality comparisons of each panel from each manufacturer.

Like I'm curious on the front fenders.  Goodmark was 1st to get '71 'Cuda fenders, then AMD came out.  Really, which one is better?   ditto one-piece trunk panels.  Quarters.
Good Idea, but sometimes its better to use the original panels if you can .  :2cents:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs