Lost wheel on highway

Author Topic: Lost wheel on highway  (Read 21522 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Lost wheel on highway
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013 - 10:15:13 AM »
Hi Biggs,

I agree with you.  I wasn't arguing that the rotor caused the failure.  Just waxing philosophically about whether the nut became tighter or looser over time if the washer were missing.  I notice the cotter pin is still in place.  But it's hard to see if it were sheared in any way due to the nut loosening.

And I also agree that the the bearing had much to do with the failure.
Its all good here, no worries.  :icon16:  If you look at the pic of the broken rotor/hub the bearing races are gone!! That hub had to be cherry red to do that.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013 - 10:16:28 AM »
There's 3 big pyramids, I'll have to come over to help you and your dog out!

Ok, I better cut the "crap" talk and get back on topic.  :rofl:

:smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol: :smilielol:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline spamtank

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013 - 12:52:53 PM »
Its all good here, no worries.  :icon16:  If you look at the pic of the broken rotor/hub the bearing races are gone!! That hub had to be cherry red to do that.  :grinyes:

On a positive note I think he can reuse that spindle seal   :smilielol:  Sorry, I shouldn't joke about that.

Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2013 - 11:09:23 PM »
LOL you guys. :grinno: :grinno:

If so, I wonder if this was the first extended trip on the car since the work done 2 years ago ?  Maybe a lot of short trips back and forth to the ice cream shop wouldn't generate too much heat.

I've mostly done ~1 hour drives indeed, a handful of 2-3 hour drives, this certainly was one of the longest. So yes, could be that the bearing was wrong all the time but only now did it heat up enough to melt away like it did...

Still don't have the car back, the mech ordered parts from SSBC so it will be the same setup with slotted rotor again. With re-used spindle seal probably. :biggrin: Then I'll do a thorough review of both sides with my alignment guy—he wanted to replace that sides pitman arm anyway, he felt it was a little loose. Once I know more I can decide whether to keep the SSBC or get o different kit. Car originally came with drums in the front, I have them but probably even two broken front rotors still stop faster than those. :icon16:

It looks like the only part other than the brakes and the control arm that were harmed is the fender, and that one really hurts. I hope the body shop can bring it back to life. And that my insurance won't act up. :dunno:
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2013 - 09:17:12 AM »
Any news yet?  Is the Challenger fixed up?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013 - 03:01:11 PM »
I wonder if the washer behind the castle nut was missing, would the nut get looser as that wheel is turning counter clockwise?
The nut is still held in place by the castlated sheet metal nut cover with the cotter pin though it. So I don't think it would loosen or tighten.  :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013 - 03:04:10 PM »
Good point!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline spamtank

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2013 - 06:12:20 PM »
Good point!  :grinyes:

I met Pasquale a few weeks ago at the garage where the car was towed to.  The wheel and brakes were repaired.  The car started, but experienced an electrical problem after driving it around the block.  Some of the wiring insulation was in tough shape.  They weren't able to get it restarted.  Looks like the previous owner made some modifications. 

He had ask the garage to install an engine bay wiring harness.  Hopefully they've made some progress on that.

It's a pretty cool RT/SE with some great options including cruise control. 

Can't wait to see it back on the road.
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013 - 09:42:01 PM »
Wow, two months have passed!

Thanks Rick for the run-down. So yes, about a month ago I went up to grab the car after they put the wheel and brakes back on. They didn't touch the fender (I told them not to) so that one still looks the same, I finally wanted to get the car home and at least it was back on all fours again. Took a trip around the block—yes, an alignment is badly needed—and when I wanted to take off, keyturn and nothing; fusible link broken. I had a spare one around, so we fixed it, car was running and when I stepped on the gas (only slightly  8) ) it died again, and for the second time no reaction whatsoever, not even lights, just dead. Since I got towed before for electrical problems I gave up and told the guys to put a "Painless" harness in.

Last week that was finally done and I again took a bus up to Manchester and almost got a heart-attack when I got the bill. Oh well, it WAS a lot of work. I'll post some pictures here later, the old wires are just a crazy mess! And there's a sizable hole in the fuse box, no wonder nothing worked again. Was cool to see the tach working for the first time and even the clock works! For some reason he told me that the ammeter cannot be grounded correctly, although it worked before. But I have a running car again!

Well then... traveling back down (and trying to keep the car straight) I realized that the turn signals don't actually work. And when I reset the trip meter I wasn't happy to discover that the dash doesn't sit right and moves around. And when it got dark and I wanted to take off after filling up gas I discovered that the center console illumination doesn't work anymore. And one taillight was out (which is just nonclean grounding, but still...) Honestly I was quite pissed when I got home...  :swear:

Car is now at my trusted shop—my inspection is due Monday and my weekend is booked, not much of a choice... yeah, not very happy about the situation at the moment. I hope the turn signals are just an unclean grounding as the other mech claimed via phone, then do the alignment because the car really drives terrible at the moment and then one by one, I'll be happy again. :)  But not today. :stomp:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013 - 10:01:22 PM »
Why would you choose to install a Painless wiring kit when perfect copies of the original harness's are available in reproduction and can be easily installed in a couple of hours ?

Sounds more PAINFULL then anything :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013 - 11:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Padawan link=topic=95000.msg943773#msg943773 date=

For some reason he told me that the ammeter cannot be grounded correctly, although it worked before.
[/quote

That statement bothers me. Ammeters are not grounded. They are simply installed in the positive line to the battery to show what is going in or out of the battery. A ground would cause a direct short similar to grounding the positive side of the battery. With all the other problems my recommendation would be to revisit all the wiring installed to make sure nothing is amiss. Use wiring diagrams such as the ones on mymopar.com
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline spamtank

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013 - 07:56:51 AM »
Wow, two months have passed!

I'll be happy again. :)  But not today. :stomp:

Wow, I'm real sorry about that ordeal. 

I was confused about the Ammeter grounding comments as well.  Sounds like that guy didn't know as much about wiring as he implied.  I bet he has both lugs tied to one post for now.  Hope he didn't spin the terminals on the ammeter.  Their attachment is pretty delicate.  Might be a good time to turn that into a volt meter.

But at least you have it back with someone you can really trust, and it's local to you.

Let me know when you're back u and running, and taking a trip up through NH.  We'll have to hook up for a cruise.
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013 - 12:34:24 PM »
Why would you choose to install a Painless wiring kit when perfect copies of the original harness's are available in reproduction and can be easily installed in a couple of hours ?

Sounds more PAINFULL then anything :dunno:
Well, in the end it WAS painful. But I heard good things about the Painless kits and since the old wiring, with routing everything through the dash, was not a great design anyway I thought I'd to go with that one. And hey, it's nice that the front lights are always bright, not only when you hit the gas. :icon16:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013 - 12:46:23 PM »
When I first looked at this post it was chilling, same color (close) of my Challenger and I had the same thing happen a few years ago going down the interstate. My problem was due to new aluminum rims that were not properly torqued before driving. And I too was pulling over as it started to vibrate. Thank the good Lord no one was hurt!  :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2013 - 02:09:41 PM »
When I first looked at this post it was chilling, same color (close) of my Challenger and I had the same thing happen a few years ago going down the interstate. My problem was due to new aluminum rims that were not properly torqued before driving. And I too was pulling over as it started to vibrate. Thank the good Lord no one was hurt!  :2thumbs:

Whoa, good to hear that you got away safely as well! Looks like we both had the same problem with the same outcome. ::)

Just back from the shop digging through wires. Turns out they didn't bother cutting the wires to appropriate lengths and just stashed them wherever possible, below an image from the trunk. And TONS of open ended wires that are not covered, either because they didn't hook them up properly (like the trunk dome light) or because they are not needed (like 3rd brake light). Actually, they hooked up the third brake light cable to the right rear lights—no wonder turn signals don't work there! Turn signals not indicating in the dash were because the fuse was blown already. And other fun stuff, like the tube for the windshield fluid hooked up to the air filter instead of the fluid tank. :clueless: And guess what they used to fill the hole where the bulkhead connector used to sit in the firewall? Nothing! There's just a hole there, 3x3".

So all in all just a very bad job, but no harm done to the car. That's something. Here's what I saw when lifting the trunk mat:

click for larger image

@spamtank
That sounds like fun, a nice trip through NH would be very cool, let's keep that idea alive. And who knows, maybe SuperBlue gets his mouse fortress running at one point and can also join. :lol: