Lost wheel on highway

Author Topic: Lost wheel on highway  (Read 21530 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Lost wheel on highway
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013 - 02:14:18 PM »
 :22yikes: OMFG
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013 - 02:39:55 PM »

You said it, time for a refund...
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline spamtank

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013 - 08:38:01 PM »
Pascal

It's a shame you found yourself in a position of selecting a tow truck/shop on short notice and away from the comfort of home.

You were kinda at their mercy, and it definitely sounds like they fell far short of their responsibility.

Don't know what could have done differently.  Towing the car the whole way home might have been the better bet at that time.  But that's all hind sight.

Makes me think about what my plan would be if that happened to me.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2013 - 12:09:34 AM »

And who knows, maybe SuperBlue gets his mouse fortress running at one point and can also join. :lol:

If I ever change the color of my car The Mouse Fortress might be my new screen name!!!!  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  :thumbsup:  Got some stuff going on, won't be on the road for a loooong time unfortunately.

I thought I saw a glimpse of your car today when I was driving around!

Sorry to hear of the problems.  Weird with all the extra wire.  Real goofy work.  Let me know if you need anything.  Hope it works out.  Jimmy is a decent guy.  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013 - 08:07:12 AM »
Whoa, good to hear that you got away safely as well! Looks like we both had the same problem with the same outcome. ::)

Just back from the shop digging through wires. Turns out they didn't bother cutting the wires to appropriate lengths and just stashed them wherever possible, below an image from the trunk. And TONS of open ended wires that are not covered, either because they didn't hook them up properly (like the trunk dome light) or because they are not needed (like 3rd brake light). Actually, they hooked up the third brake light cable to the right rear lights—no wonder turn signals don't work there! Turn signals not indicating in the dash were because the fuse was blown already. And other fun stuff, like the tube for the windshield fluid hooked up to the air filter instead of the fluid tank. :clueless: And guess what they used to fill the hole where the bulkhead connector used to sit in the firewall? Nothing! There's just a hole there, 3x3".

So all in all just a very bad job, but no harm done to the car. That's something. Here's what I saw when lifting the trunk mat:

click for larger image

@spamtank
That sounds like fun, a nice trip through NH would be very cool, let's keep that idea alive. And who knows, maybe SuperBlue gets his mouse fortress running at one point and can also join. :lol:

WOW! What hackers!!! What is the name of that shop sop I can tell everyone to stay away???
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013 - 08:11:42 AM »
After looking at the enlarged trunk photo it looks like they used Scotchlocks for connections everwhere. If that is the case you are asking for more problems as all those connections are open and exposed to moisture. I hate to say it by I would completely redo all the wiring correctly ! Get a repro harness and everything wil plug in so no need for splicing/connections and things will work the way they are supposed to.
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013 - 09:53:23 AM »
Lets hope a factory harness would work correctly. They leave alot to be desired and are outdated for sure. Bulk head terminal failures, Ammeter shorting, Fusible link fires are just a start of some of the short comings that the factory harness has.
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013 - 09:58:06 AM »
Those failures happen when you try to use 40 year old harnesses.
Replace all the harnesses with brand new M&H ones from YearOne and you're good for another 40 years. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013 - 02:09:07 PM »
WOW! What hackers!!! What is the name of that shop sop I can tell everyone to stay away???

Maybe they thought they wanted to leave enough wire in case he wants to hook up trailer lights...  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013 - 02:15:46 PM »
Whoa, good to hear that you got away safely as well! Looks like we both had the same problem with the same outcome. ::)

Just back from the shop digging through wires. Turns out they didn't bother cutting the wires to appropriate lengths and just stashed them wherever possible, below an image from the trunk. And TONS of open ended wires that are not covered, either because they didn't hook them up properly (like the trunk dome light) or because they are not needed (like 3rd brake light). Actually, they hooked up the third brake light cable to the right rear lights—no wonder turn signals don't work there! Turn signals not indicating in the dash were because the fuse was blown already. And other fun stuff, like the tube for the windshield fluid hooked up to the air filter instead of the fluid tank. :clueless: And guess what they used to fill the hole where the bulkhead connector used to sit in the firewall? Nothing! There's just a hole there, 3x3".

So all in all just a very bad job, but no harm done to the car. That's something. Here's what I saw when lifting the trunk mat:

click for larger image

@spamtank
That sounds like fun, a nice trip through NH would be very cool, let's keep that idea alive. And who knows, maybe SuperBlue gets his mouse fortress running at one point and can also join. :lol:

:eek2:  Stuff like this is why I do all my own wiring.  If you need a hand straigtening this out, let me know.  That is just plain sloppy, unacceptable work.  A fire waiting to happen.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013 - 03:57:43 PM »
Those failures happen when you try to use 40 year old harnesses.
Replace all the harnesses with brand new M&H ones from YearOne and you're good for another 40 years. :2cents:
Those are design flaws ,it doesnt matter if it is new. If your car is a show car that doesn't get alot of driving then the original style harness should be fine. I don't see how running your charging circuit through your ammeter is safe.. The bulk head connector gets some water in it from some moisture ,than it doesnt flow current. A fusable link that burns out next to a carb or a fuel line flooding or leaking is a source for a fire.. I dont even want to get into the details of unsealed connectors , glass fuses ,weak charging systems that when you press the brake pedal at night all your lights dim and other 60s 70s technology that are inferior. If I drove it alot, with long distance in mind , I would update it like most street rods do to a new Harness like from American Autowire, Ron Francies , ISIS Multiplex ,ect ect  :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013 - 04:02:54 PM by johns cuda shop »
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013 - 04:46:13 PM »
Of course there is much newer, better technology but thee are still thousnads of these cars on the road with stock electrical systems. The only thing I replaced on my cuda was the engine harness, the rest is 40 yr old factory wiring and everything works just fine.  :2thumbs:
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013 - 08:11:16 PM »
It's a shame you found yourself in a position of selecting a tow truck/shop on short notice and away from the comfort of home. You were kinda at their mercy, and it definitely sounds like they fell far short of their responsibility.

Don't know what could have done differently. Towing the car the whole way home might have been the better bet at that time. But that's all hind sight. Makes me think about what my plan would be if that happened to me.

Yeah, I found myself in a bad situation. I'm asking myself what would have happened if I just told them to fix the electrical issue as needed so I can drive home. Seeing their work with a brand new harness I think if they fixed the old stuff there would have been a fire...
I noticed a couple of things when I went grabbing the car, but telling them to fix it would have meant I need again to take the buses back home, 2 hours one way, hope they do it correctly this time around and then arrange for another day to drive up again. SO GLAD the car is now back home!

I thought I saw a glimpse of your car today when I was driving around!

Probably wasn't me, I left it at the shop over Sunday. And yes, Jimmy will fix it! :smokin:

It's a shop in Manchester NH, between Howe St and Shasta St, hope that suffices. :)

Yes, this is a real mess. The good part is that the wires are in and at approximately the right spots, stashing and cutting them nicely should fix most of the mess. I now have it at a shop I trust to do the most important work and make sure the car doesn't light up, afterwards I'll arrange, cut and stash the wires nicely. There's certainly enough wire around... :eek7:

Should call them tomorrow and ask for a refund of at least some of the money... :-[

I'll add some pics of the old harness and the bent fender when I have her back.
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013 - 11:20:02 PM »

Probably wasn't me, I left it at the shop over Sunday. And yes, Jimmy will fix it! :smokin:

It was at Jimmy's shop outside when I saw it Saturday morning. 

I was out for a drive to Star Market and just checked it for you tonight.  It's tucked in the shop.  :thumbsup:

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013 - 06:28:44 PM »
It was at Jimmy's shop outside when I saw it Saturday morning. 

I was out for a drive to Star Market and just checked it for you tonight.  It's tucked in the shop.  :thumbsup:

Dang, I was there Saturday morning as well! at around 10! Should have texted you, I didn't know that you are in the area. :hyper:
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map