Author Topic: Quick Question - Factory exhaust manifolds 383  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Falbz

Quick Question - Factory exhaust manifolds 383
« on: September 09, 2013 - 06:23:26 PM »
Hey guys,

Have a quick question, was wondering if this piece on the manifold was added later on my car or factory.  Right now it's being held on by a worm clamp and can easily be taken off. Really doesn't do anything so figured I'd ask real quick.  Does this piece connect to factory snorkel setup or something, like the pic shown?  Found this engine shot looking through some classifieds.  Also, does the crankcase hose originally feed through the throttle return spring bracket as shown below?

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013 - 06:30:22 PM by Falbz »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Quick Question - Factory exhaust manifolds 383
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013 - 06:35:31 PM »
YES the bottom picture is correct. The thingmajig on your manifold is nothing factory installed that's for sure ! :nono:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Falbz

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013 - 07:47:39 PM »
YES the bottom picture is correct. The thingmajig on your manifold is nothing factory installed that's for sure ! :nono:

I figured - thanks for the clarifying.

Offline Falbz

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013 - 03:32:52 PM »
So I received a response from the charger forums since I also have a b body.  Does anyone have any pics of this air preheat manifold? What exactly is covering the manifold in the yellow car? Could this be an LA assembly plant only thing  :sleeping:  Curious to hear from you guys as I'm about to rebuild everything to OEM. 

That piece looks like part of the air preheat manifold stove. Yes, it should connect to the bottom of the air cleaner snorkel as shown in the picture of the yellow car. It looks like you're missing the sheet metal part of the stove as shown in your second picture, the piece that follows the length of the manifold. Can't help on the PCV hose routing as my 71 383 routes the hose to the rear of the carb.

The air preheat system is part of the emissions system to provide warm air to the carb. until the base of the carb. warms up as the engine reached normal operating temperature.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013 - 03:40:34 PM by Falbz »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Falbz

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013 - 03:47:22 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013 - 04:01:52 PM by Falbz »