Author Topic: OK GOT MY DREAM CAR 1970 RT CHALLENGER BUT I HAVE A DILEMMA  (Read 4990 times)

Offline kevs1970challenger

OK GOT MY DREAM CAR 1970 RT CHALLENGER BUT I HAVE A DILEMMA
« on: September 10, 2013 - 07:49:09 PM »
Ok so last year my wife and I drove about 6000 kms from Edmonton to Windsor to pick up my dream car 1970 440 4 speed fully restored challenger, I already had a 1970 Charger, with a 13 year old restoration. Anyways I drive my Top Bannana Yellow Charger and people come by and film it, take photos, turn heads, but my Challenger which is White gets about 1/2 the attention.  Maybe I should have got a high impact color.  I have no doubt someone will say, dont be a show off, but my Charger was $20000 my Challenger was $45000 (appraised at 85K) may I need some reassurance.  Heres a youtube of both.   Give some advise I was thinking of a shaker and a super loud exhaust

Cheers

Kevin

1970 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T 1970 DODGE CHARGER R/T

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: OK GOT MY DREAM CAR 1970 RT CHALLENGER BUT I HAVE A DILEMMA
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013 - 07:58:33 PM »
It's all about colour...White will never get the attention of yellow.

Also, thanks largely in part to The Dukes of Hazzard, the 68-70 Charger will ALWAYS get attention wherever they go....They have way more international recognition from all age groups. :2cents: then any other Mopar......and I don't even like them...
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013 - 08:01:17 PM »
The Challenger has to go....To ME!!!!   :lol:

Just remind those about the movie vanishing Point. That'll wake em up.
And tell em your name is Kowalski.

BTW, nice man cave and all your cars rock!. I'm envious.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013 - 08:44:26 PM »
I think that with the new Challengers, the visual impact of seeing on isn't what it used to be.

That being said, My Cuda gets way more attention than the 70 Challenger.....

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013 - 08:48:48 PM »
I wish I had your problem,lets see shold I drive the "White car or the" Yellow" one? It just seems so hard to decide. :smokin: :grinyes: :dogpile:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013 - 09:42:04 PM »
Really only 1 way to solve that problem, awesome car needs an awesome color.
You need to paint it Sublime!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013 - 09:55:53 PM »
 :iagree:  Yeah its the color.  Also it has some wilder touches like the custom rims, wide double black stripes and the bumble bee and go wing.  :2cents:

Even if it were yellow, orange or any other bright color it would take it from mundane to wow real quick.  Car colors really set a mood.  White is classy though.  You could slot that Challenger in with cars at Barrett Jackson IMO and it would fit right in or with even some exotic cars.  The Charger is just loud looking in a good way.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline joelson6

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013 - 10:52:03 PM »
are you kidding me? ? ? ? ? :clueless:

that car is awesome! the white is sweet and i usually don't care for white cars.

just remember this, sometimes blending in is good .

the ones who know what they're looking at will appreciate it, the peasants will keep walking.

Offline moparrecyclers

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013 - 11:14:34 PM »
I dig the color, they don't all have to be high impact colors to be appreciated. You will see far fewer white ones out there, and that alone is cool in my book.
When I was told about the 71' billboard car I just purchased, I was told before I went to see it that it was orange, I was immediately pleased to see it was Bahama Yellow (Butterscotch) and boy did they look at me with a strange look after commenting on the color. They couldn't believe I thought that was a way cooler color (just my opinion).
65' Dodge Coronet, 69' Mod Top Sattellite /Six Auto, 71' Cuda 340 4sp.,  71' Barracuda Gran Coupe 383 Auto, 73' Dodge Charger Rallye 340 Auto, 78' Dodge Kit Car

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013 - 11:53:42 PM »
just curious ....

i thought all 440 and hemi 4spd cars came with a Dana.

Was watching the video and saw an 8 3/4 reared.

just wondering  ...

bill

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013 - 03:28:49 AM »
I'll preface this by saying that I've never cared too much if other people like my car or not. It's enough that I love it. If others like it that's great; if they don't, that's tough.

That being said, if you're having this reaction, you didn't buy your dream car. If you had your dream car, then every time you saw it your heart would do a little dance, whether or not other people noticed it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013 - 07:16:24 AM »
If you go to a mopar car show, the white challenger will be more rare than one with a "high impact" color. I would keep white for the vanishing point effect.

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013 - 07:47:57 AM »
Clearly you were excited anough to cross the country to go buy it, why let what other people think take that excitement away from you?

if you dig it man, who cares.

I drive a 74..who wants a sad faced last year base model challenger? My car get's over looked at car shows by people with beetles and 4 door valiants but I would never let that wipe the simle off my face everyime i'm behind the wheel.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013 - 08:08:37 AM »
No one was saying the white car isn't nice, the new owner was just curious as to why the general public doesn't notice it as much as his bright yellow car...that's all.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013 - 08:51:14 AM »
It's a lesson in color theory, 1 on 1, yellow wins. I totally agree put the challenger in a sea of yellow or impact colors, white will win out.

BTW - you have a great set of cars.   :thumbsup:

judy