Author Topic: The Rustoleum Gamble  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Moneypit440

The Rustoleum Gamble
« on: October 10, 2013 - 06:23:41 PM »
While I am waiting to rub off the "never gonna harden" acrylic enamel from my trunk pan, I thought I might work on rust proofing the floor pan.  Having mortgaged the house and went the POR 15 route for the trunk, this time it is a welded in patch, Krud Kleaner degreaser, Krud Kleaner rust remover and inhibitor (phosphoric acid I think), and a quart of $8 rustoleum.  It will be under carpet so as long as it dries sometimes before the next Braselton blizzard, I am happy.  I added hardener and acetone, because it was on the internet so it has to be true.  I painted over seam sealer, body tape, and maybe a couple of squirrels.  But I did not have to use 25 POR 15 products, a top coat with no hardener, and cash in my 401k balance for 10 square feet of metal.  Tomorrow I brush on coat #2, hopefully. 

I reckon I will crown myself the $100 RestoKing or take it to a body shop next week and pay $2500 to have it done right.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013 - 06:31:03 PM by Moneypit440 »
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Magnum/727 Torqueflite
1970 Cuda 383 Super Commando/A833 4-speed
2010 Challenger R/T Automatic w/Magnacharger/CAI/Catback Exhaust Upgrade

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: The Rustoleum Gamble
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013 - 07:52:18 PM »
That looks really good.
It won't rust for some time now.
That's what really matters after all.
Are you gonna wait a while before putting the carpet back in?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Edison1970

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013 - 09:24:50 PM »
Looks good to me.  Unless you have a leak some where, most likely it will not rust again.

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013 - 10:57:30 PM »
It looks like it laid down nice.  I haven't tried hardener/thinner with it so I'm interested to see how it dries for you.

I used Rustoleum on my rusty battery tray in the late '80s.  Scraped and brushed off what I could and put on the paint.  The stuff was thick straight out of the can but that tray did not rust any further.  I was impressed being that the car was a daily driver through rain, some snow, and some battery acid.  Recently, I attempted to take the paint off so that I could start off fresh.  Sand blasting was looking like it would take forever so I tried paint stripper.  It took 3 applications of the stripper to get the paint to bubble off. 
- Jerry

Offline Moneypit440

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013 - 10:58:41 PM »
That looks really good.
It won't rust for some time now.
That's what really matters after all.
Are you gonna wait a while before putting the carpet back in?

I want to put carpet in tomorrow, but the voices in my head say wait a few days.

Offline Moneypit440

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013 - 11:02:30 PM »
Looks good to me.  Unless you have a leak some where, most likely it will not rust again.

There is a leak. It's usually garaged, but I left it out overnight after my buddy welded the patch.  It rained that evening, and the next morning there was some water standing in the patch.  So I guess I know why that area was rusty.  Everything else was dry and I do not know where the leak is.  I guess I will have to hose down windshield/cowl area and try to catch it dripping?

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013 - 11:29:31 PM »
  I guess I will have to hose down windshield/cowl area and try to catch it dripping?

yep, definitely!!   :grinyes:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee