Author Topic: firewall holes for non ac cuda  (Read 1183 times)

Offline culp71

firewall holes for non ac cuda
« on: October 16, 2013 - 01:07:04 PM »
hey all,

I am trying to figure out hole sizes and locations that should be in the firewall for a 1971 cuda with a non a/c heater box setup.
car firewall was a a/c equipped car, but since patched and filled over. no holes for blower motor or hoses.

anyone have a scaled layout or template showing correct location and size for holes in firewall?
I have found a few pics and have got close, but I don't want it wrong,
does someone sell a half firewall new steel panel?
also I was just going to hole saw out hole for motor,
but have notice some seem to be more egg shaped.
should it be round?

any help would be great.
thanks

Offline sprecks

Re: firewall holes for non ac cuda
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013 - 01:29:26 PM »
Here's the AMD piece.
https://www.autometaldirect.com/store/productdetail/370-1570/70-74-E-body-71-72-B-Body-(w-o-A-C)-Firewall?view=productdetail&stockNumber=370-1570&BOMReference=&selectedcat=Firewall&prod_cat=370&desc=70-74-E-body-71-72-B-Body-(w/o-A/C)-Firewall

You could buy it and cut out the piece you need if you want it exact. That is pretty pricey to be throwing most of it away. The hole for the fan motor isn't perfectly round. On my car, I did like you are suggesting and used a hole saw. It looks good to me and no one has ever questioned it not being right. I backed up the hole with additional metal to strengthen the area. I then drilled holes for the mounting studs and tack welded the bolt heads from the inside.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi