Author Topic: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.  (Read 63522 times)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013 - 06:27:52 AM »
The way I was going to make my pistol grip shifter control an Auto trans was to use a B&M "quick-click" ratchet shifter hidden under the console and 4-speed hump. The handle is always in the set position then is pulled back then forward for each shift detent move out of park, all the way down to first, then moved the opposite way to return to park.  Slamming it forward only allowed one gear change at a time before springing back to the home position. Making the bezel show the proper gear would have taken some creative fabricating though. I thought that I would make a spring loaded string pull-type like the GMs use for their dash gear indicators.

This way, the handle is always in the proper vertical position and never pointing forward like your "park" position.  I ended converting all to a true 4-speed setup.  It's really worth it in the end.
That set up would be cool and doable, you could use the universal shifter indicator that is commenly used in hortods to show gear selection that is opertaed by a cable too.
That is still a lot of work but an awesome selection of gearing keeping the shifter upright as if in neutral on a manual stick.
My shifter is a easy fit replacement that will slot in to the exact location of the original Slap-Stick and no other modifications at all, simple swap out is what i was aiming for with my shifter design. But i like the way your mind works :grinyes: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2013 - 06:38:21 AM »

I love the colour and finish he did on this grip, it is totally awesome. Thank you Rob Roy282 :wave:

:drool:  wow.... i like it a lot!
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2013 - 07:01:59 AM »
Personally, I want to see pics of a 68 Dart Sedan Delivery. Sounds way cool.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2013 - 07:20:28 AM »
:drool:  wow.... i like it a lot!

Thanks Hood :2thumbs: I could picture your colour on your car done like this Green grip too, it would be awesome seeing a rich Gold colour. :drool:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2013 - 07:22:19 AM »
Personally, I want to see pics of a 68 Dart Sedan Delivery. Sounds way cool.

At your request Dave :wave:

Kenny :bigsmile:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2013 - 07:49:13 AM »
One of the coolest grocery getters I've ever seen.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2013 - 08:53:06 AM »
At your request Dave :wave:

Kenny :bigsmile:

Now that would be cool to import into the states to cruise around in!
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline autodynamics

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2013 - 03:07:53 AM »
The question is in a b body does your handle turn the shifter into a slap stick ..
Also what if we have a 4 speed automatic now ?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2013 - 06:27:05 AM »
One of the coolest grocery getters I've ever seen.
Now that would be cool to import into the states to cruise around in!
Yeah, i really like it too. The thing is it is a one of none, i made it from a Valiant station wagon and it had 4 doors. I like it better this way :bigsmile:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2013 - 06:41:50 AM »
The question is in a b body does your handle turn the shifter into a slap stick ..
Also what if we have a 4 speed automatic now ?

Hi autodynamics, :wave:

Thank you for your interest and questions. :2thumbs:
The thing is that i start with an E-body Slap-Stick mechanism and change the throw for the selector rod so it would have the same travel as the A&B-body shifters, I will also do the A&B-body shifters with a selector rod (included) as the pivot point on the E-body mechanism is located higher. I then made a whole new handle to accomadate the location of the A&B-body shifters being so far forward as you would be aware of. So YES they are a proper Slap-Stick. :grinyes: The whole unit bolts right in, as if standard to an A&B-body shifter bracketry with no modifications to anything else.

As for fitting with a 4 speed auto, it will depend on what set up you have, if you have the overdrive box that simply needs a 3 speed selection and shifts to top gear via vacuum and switches, then my shifter would work, but if you have the box that needs a switch to change in to top gear (4th), then you would have to add a switch on to an area you are comfortable with, i have thought about these also and thought if someone asked where to run a wire, they could mount a small switch in the grip somehow (to their own discretion) as i do have room in behind the grips now, but i could machine a groove in the front of the handle to accomadate 2 small wires running down the front for the length of the shifter before i have that particular shifter handle chrome plated.
But if their is a Auto box that would need the selector to pick each gear, then that is something i could look at adopting to a special order, but i am sure i could accomadate at requests.

Thank you,
HEMIKEN :bigsmile:
Kenny.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013 - 06:48:04 AM by hemiken »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2013 - 04:58:47 PM »
put me down for a shifter and a shirt! I love it Ken, good luck man, I hope it goes like crazy for you!
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2013 - 08:32:38 PM »
put me down for a shifter and a shirt! I love it Ken, good luck man, I hope it goes like crazy for you!
Hey Thank you Brett my Brutha :ylsuper:

So glad you love it buddy.

I will have another picture post to put up soon, their has been a part of the shifter build that has been bugging me ever since i started this build and i could not get my head around it, i have got it sorted out now and it is the icing on the cake, i just have to do some pictures up and post them to share, these will be a complete package now i have done this little thing that has been bugging me so long. :2thumbs:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2013 - 10:12:42 PM »
Here is the part i was talking about with what i was having issues with and could not get my head around, it was the one thing that i felt was not finished off and i was struggling to come up with a solution, these slides are available in 2 styles, the round hole 1970 slide, and the 1971-74 rectangle hole slide. I was conflicted by not wanting to use the rectangle hole slide because the opening was so wide and it would expose all of the mechanism from above through to hole, it would look untidy in my mind, so i decided to use the round hole slide of the 1970 slide as it was a smaller opening and all i had to do was notch it out to accept the slimer rectangle hole of my handle, this left a semicircle on either side of the handle and was only a little better in my mind as an acceptable allowance.
 :thinkerg: So i made the decision to buy some NEW slides and went with the 1970 round hole slides, it was stewing on my mind as i thought i had ordered the wrong part as either really was not what i wanted :pullinghair: , then i was looking at the A-body and B-body slides and they are only available in a round hole slide anyway, so i had to make something that would adapt and be used in both applications.
This is a Demo slide and one had to sacrific itself for the greater good, this will be the part i can measure from and get every slide exactly what it will need to be in fit and finish when i am ready to launch these shifters :2thumbs: .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013 - 10:14:58 PM by hemiken »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2013 - 10:23:59 PM »
This is my solution to this particular area and finishes off the shifter as a complete unit. These will all be included as part of my shifters as a complete bolt in unit (with minor assembly).
The plastic plugs i have made finish this area off and hide any openings to the mechanism from above totally. They are the answer i was looking for, just popped in to my mind after looking at the 2 round hole openings of both the E-body and the A&B-body slides. :jumping: I was so releaved to have worked this area out. It is a simple clip in application and does the unit justice i feel. Remember this is also a Demo piece and the parts i supply will be finished off to a very nice clean smooth finish. :2thumbs:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2013 - 10:27:12 PM »
This entire assembly is so simple to perform and easy to fit.
Here it is with the slide mounted in the selector plate and the method in how to assemble the selector slide with plastic plugs.