Author Topic: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.  (Read 63554 times)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013 - 07:30:21 PM »
Ken, it is rare to find a truly new product for older cars.  The innovation usually seems to drop off quickly and the market settles down to copying each other with nothing really new coming out.

You will probably be building the complete unit, mechanism and all, before it is over so that you end up selling a totally new, complete package.  :)  there is a limited supply of old slap shifters out there in decent condition.

Classic Industries will be calling wanting a 1000 units soon :)  You better apply for a patent

Hi Strawdawg :bigsmile:

I am hearing you in every way buddy :grinyes: . The problem is i am over here in Australia and my sourcing of the shifters is very limited to internet only parts finding and the reliabilty of friends who do have access, this is why i put in as a request that you guys who are in America can get a spare shifter, they can be rusted solid non working, as long as they are not totally rotted through and pitted, it is easy to tell the difference between the two. I would love the ability myself to buy up as many second hand shifter mechanisms as i physically could if i was located in the US of A, or even Canada, Australia never got these cars imported from new, so that is my dilemma for now.
I looked around and only PG Classics offer the shifter new, as they advertise NEW slap-stick shifters for E-body http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=1097 but that puts another $205 on top of the price i will release for my shifters, that is way out their in pricing, and i would not expect anyone to cop that bill before even getting it to me, that is a killer. It adds up way too fast.  :faint:
This started as just a side line - or fill in for me, it is looking like it could get busy real fast, if i had total control over everything, this would have been released by now easy, just waiting for outsources to cut parts in quantity & quality to reduce over all price is the hold up right now, and with out the actual arm ready, i can not even get a quote on how much to chrome the part, it is a waitng game for me too..... Frustrating as it may be, i do have patience.

Thank you for bringing this to light Strawdawg :2thumbs: i appreciate your input and your help buddy :wave:

Thanks.
HEMIKEN :bigsmile:
Kenny.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013 - 09:41:27 PM by hemiken »
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013 - 07:31:33 PM »
Almost makes me wish I had an automatic. Really great work.  :droolingbounce:   :popcorn:
You could always buy another E-body that has an auto :popcorn: :smilielol: :2thumbs:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013 - 07:36:51 PM »
I know what Kenny will be looking for at Carlisle this year!  :bigsmile:

You should make up all you can and get over here and sell them next year at Carlisle! :naughty: :wave:

Hey Brad :ylsuper: if i was ready that could be on the cards buddy. Believe me :bigsmile:
I need these mechanisms now to make a batch, but their is a bit of time between now and then, you just never know what will happen :naughty: , heck i do not even know myself.......... :roflsmiley:
But i would love to catch up with you again buddy :grinyes: you are a good dude :drunk: Thanks. :bigsmile:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013 - 10:44:25 PM »
I have seen enough to know that I want one. What is the price Ken?  We are deep into this remodel but as soon as I can see a little light I will purchase one guaranteed. Out of sight man!!!!
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2013 - 07:11:07 AM »
I have seen enough to know that I want one. What is the price Ken?  We are deep into this remodel but as soon as I can see a little light I will purchase one guaranteed. Out of sight man!!!!
Hi BB71 :wave: Price will be worked out when i have a total of costs buddy :clapping:
So glad you dropped in and had a look at my New product mate :2thumbs:
I have added you to the list my Brutha :bananasmi
I hope your house remodel is going really well and life is good with the wife :grinyes:

Thank you,
Kenny.

Offline Slotts

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2013 - 08:29:33 AM »
Hey Kenny,  :wave:
Any chance you will be making this model, too? It does have a nice grip!  :roflsmiley:

Great work on the new handle! :2thumbs:

Slotts

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013 - 09:24:10 AM »
Nice  project Ken... I'll bet there would be a good deal of mopar guys that would like to have one. keep us posted on you progress and production  :2thumbs:   :bigsmile:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013 - 09:33:25 AM »

Hi Strawdawg :bigsmile:

I am hearing you in every way buddy :grinyes: . The problem is i am over here in Australia and my sourcing of the shifters is very limited to internet only parts finding and the reliabilty of friends who do have access, this is why i put in as a request that you guys who are in America can get a spare shifter, they can be rusted solid non working, as long as they are not totally rotted through and pitted, it is easy to tell the difference between the two. I would love the ability myself to buy up as many second hand shifter mechanisms as i physically could if i was located in the US of A, or even Canada, Australia never got these cars imported from new, so that is my dilemma for now.
I looked around and only PG Classics offer a the shifter, as they advertise NEW slap-stick shifters for E-body http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=1097 but that puts another $205 on top of the price i release for my shifter, that is way out their and i would not expect anyone to cop that bill before even getting it to me, that is a killer. It adds up way too fast.  :faint:
This started as just a side line or fill in for me, it is looking like it could get busy real fast, if i had total control over everything, this would have been released by now easy, just waiting for outsources to cut parts in quantity to reduce over all price is the hold up right now, and with out the actual arm ready, i can not even get a quote on how much to chrome the part, it is a waitng game for me too..... Frustrating as it may be, i do have patience.

Thank you bringing this to light Strawdawg :2thumbs: i appreciate your input and help buddy :wave:

Thanks.
Kenny.

Ken, I was thinking that it might be cheaper in the long term to just have all the parts stamped out down there rather than depending on finding used assemblies to modify-after shipping, customs, whatever is included :)

Another option would be to license the design to some vendor and allow them to produce them and pay you a license fee per unit. 

I am just happy to find innovation alive and well!  :D  I will pick up one and send it to you when you are ready before the used market price takes off!!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013 - 04:15:24 PM »
hey Kenny, let us know exactly what models and years shifters will do for you. 
*** Bart ***

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013 - 08:01:54 PM »
Ken, I was thinking that it might be cheaper in the long term to just have all the parts stamped out down there rather than depending on finding used assemblies to modify-after shipping, customs, whatever is included :)

Another option would be to license the design to some vendor and allow them to produce them and pay you a license fee per unit. 

I am just happy to find innovation alive and well!  :D  I will pick up one and send it to you when you are ready before the used market price takes off!!
Hi Strawdawg :2thumbs: i hear what your saying.
The thing right now is i am not sure who, or how many will sell - as this is a secondary hobby part of my work load that i would try float and get a sense of who would be interested, it would break the bank if i set up and no-one wanted one, apart from you guys who have made it clear they love it :swaying: thank you to all of you :wave: .
I am thinking of finding out if i can get the new mechanism body before it goes for assembly and i can buy the parts rather than a whole mechanism, but have not heard anything yet.
I have seen mechanisms floating around in different internet searches and it seems apparent that most E-body guys have another Slap-Stick floating around, or they know where to get another one from, this reduces the cost some as a core exchange is all i need to get going. :grinyes:
I do not know if i would let this design go to another vendor or not, sort of mixed emotions their, this is like my baby right nw, you know what i mean, and i know that the quality control will be first class with me doing each and every one, but time will tell. :bigsmile:
I thrive on doing innovative stuff, my mind is always working overtime on ideas and i like things to be right.
I am so grateful to be hearing from guys and if they are excited about what they are seeing, it gives me a boost to perform at my best, plus feeling satisfied to fill a gap in the market that has been missing, at least in my own mind that is. :clapping:

Thank you Strawdawg :2thumbs:
Kenny.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013 - 09:45:52 PM by hemiken »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013 - 08:05:08 PM »
Hey Kenny,  :wave:
Any chance you will be making this model, too? It does have a nice grip!  :roflsmiley:

Great work on the new handle! :2thumbs:

Slotts
Hi Slotts, :wave:

Not a chance with the gun laws associated world wide, quick way for me to end up in the poo :roflsmiley:

And thank you for your professional aknowledgements, it means a lot coming from a craftsman such as yourself. :2thumbs:
(You too Bart, i know how good you are with steel :bigsmile: )

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013 - 08:10:16 PM »
Nice  project Ken... I'll bet there would be a good deal of mopar guys that would like to have one. keep us posted on you progress and production  :2thumbs:   :bigsmile:
Hi John :wave:

That is what i am hoping for, the more i hear from guys like you just jumping in and making comments shows me that these may be worth while to push hard to release sooner rather than later, but i can not stress that even with a push i will not skimp on quality and finish, that stuff will take precedents to all else.
I most certainly will keep everyone posted on more developments on my progress buddy, thanks so much for your interest :wave:

Thank You.
Kenny.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013 - 08:15:09 PM »
hey Kenny, let us know exactly what models and years shifters will do for you.

Hello Bart :wave: Thank you for asking.

The shifters i know of for sure are any Slap-Stick from 1970 round knob to 1971-74 T handle can be converted.
The ones i am not sure about are the 1975-79 Chrysler Cordoba Slap-Stick auto shifters, i do know that they were avaiable between those years and look like a long shaft round knob 1970 E-body Slap-Stick, but a quick visual of the spring location on the driver side would let someone know if it was indeed a Slap-Stick shifter. :2thumbs:

Kenny.
crossramken@hotmail.com

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2013 - 09:02:46 AM »
Better add me to the list Ken. That is exactly what I've been waiting for someone to engineer. Nice work.
Dave

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2013 - 06:41:43 PM »
Better add me to the list Ken. That is exactly what I've been waiting for someone to engineer. Nice work.
Hi Dave :wave:

Thank you buddy......... consider yourself penciled in on to the list. This is not a lock in contract, but more an expression of interest thread to see who would be interested.
I was waiting for the same thing myself and decided to just build it. :2thumbs: so glad i have now. :wave: I am a custom fabricator that was sitting on the fence, silly me.

I will have an update soon :bananasmi

Thank you
Kenny.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013 - 09:48:45 PM by hemiken »