Author Topic: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.  (Read 63507 times)

Offline whitewatersky

Re: NEW Automatic shifter PROTOTYPE with Pistol Grip handle by HEMIKEN.
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2014 - 04:13:31 AM »
Yeah! Now I just need the car!

Lookin for my first convertible 70 Challenger
Plum Crazy auto T/A Challenger

Offline momack55

• Why are you laughing? Mary! Well tell me! Tell me!
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2014 - 06:23:10 PM »
Hey Kenny,

If I had have known who you were at COTM 2014, I would have asked about the pistol grip auto shifters!!   Can I have one in left hook??

Mozz!!! :aussie: :D
Person to person call for Kowalski. Can ya hear me Kowalski?

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2014 - 08:05:47 PM »
hemiken, I like your shifter. About 10 years ago I was screwing around in the shop and I came up with a similar idea. I took a slap stick shift unit and made a 4 speed look alike handle that used stock 4 speed grips. Instead of a shift pattern on the top I put the word "CUDA" and I came up with a trigger that you pull in with your index finger when you grab the grip to unlock the mechanism so you can shift it into gear. I even cut "HURST" in the side just like the 4 speed handle.  I had it in the car for about a year and it worked great. After reading your post I went up in my garage and dug it out. Maybe the pics will give you some ideas. I'm going to toss it back up in the garage and never make another one. I'm sure yours is better. I wish you all the luck.   

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2014 - 03:35:52 AM »
Yeah! Now I just need the car!

Lookin for my first convertible 70 Challenger
Hi Andrew,

You really do have to get a car now buddy :bigsmile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2014 - 03:37:17 AM »
Hey Kenny,

If I had have known who you were at COTM 2014, I would have asked about the pistol grip auto shifters!!   Can I have one in left hook??

Mozz!!! :aussie: :D
Hey Mozz,

I will have these available in both left and right hand drive old mate. :2thumbs:
I will have some to take down to COTM next year, i will probably even set up a booth and display i was thinking. :clapping:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2014 - 03:41:12 AM »
hemiken, I like your shifter. About 10 years ago I was screwing around in the shop and I came up with a similar idea. I took a slap stick shift unit and made a 4 speed look alike handle that used stock 4 speed grips. Instead of a shift pattern on the top I put the word "CUDA" and I came up with a trigger that you pull in with your index finger when you grab the grip to unlock the mechanism so you can shift it into gear. I even cut "HURST" in the side just like the 4 speed handle.  I had it in the car for about a year and it worked great. After reading your post I went up in my garage and dug it out. Maybe the pics will give you some ideas. I'm going to toss it back up in the garage and never make another one. I'm sure yours is better. I wish you all the luck.
Hi Joe,

I like what you did their buddy. Looks pretty trick too, i went my way to stay away from a trigger as that involves many more moving parts than what i have already fitted in to my design, andi needed the handle to go rearward first before going forward, a lot of cars are limited to room when a handle goes forward on its own.
But i do like what you did, and you would know first hand how intense it is to make something work and feel right :clapping:

Thank You.
Kenny :bigsmile:
HEMIKEN.

Offline momack55

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2014 - 04:06:33 AM »
Kenny,

Way cool mate!!  If you get them goin' before then, I will def take one maybe two, Matty will surely want one when he sees mine!!   :cheers:

Mozz in Kilmore East!! :aussie: :working:

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2014 - 07:55:10 AM »
Yes meniken the trigger was a little complicated. I'm a retired machinist now but when i made the shifter i had access to all the machine tools and computer programs I needed to make every part. I never had any intentions of mass producing the shifter because it would have to much work the way i designed it. It was eaiser to just convert the car to a 4 speed,lol

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2014 - 08:57:08 PM »
Kenny,

Way cool mate!!  If you get them goin' before then, I will def take one maybe two, Matty will surely want one when he sees mine!!   :cheers:

Mozz in Kilmore East!! :aussie: :working:
Hi Mozz,

I will let you know when i have them buddy, i have an update that i am going to post up shortly too :clapping:
I think Matty would love one also, but let him see one in your car first :bigsmile:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2014 - 09:10:45 PM »
Yes meniken the trigger was a little complicated. I'm a retired machinist now but when i made the shifter i had access to all the machine tools and computer programs I needed to make every part. I never had any intentions of mass producing the shifter because it would have to much work the way i designed it. It was eaiser to just convert the car to a 4 speed,lol
:roflsmiley: a 4 speed is an easy way to go Joe, nice comment buddy. :bigsmile:
That is what i wanted to capture the look with in a 4 speed, and i believe i have my friend.
Just like you say, the machines and labour involved to triggerize the handle would be costly, but it does take away from a 4 speed look in a way too. Great bit of engineering you did all the same. :2thumbs:
Maybe you would consider changing back to an Auto and try one of my shifters :poopoke: :smilielol: :wave:
Good looking `Cuda too buddy :bigsmile:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2014 - 09:32:09 PM »
UPDATE: OK guys, time for an update. I made the trip down south and did some PR work while i was away and also met up with the guy doing the profile cutting of my handles, all i can say is that he did not meet my needs and i retrieved all of my items and have to start again with another business.
Good news is that just on Friday i dropped off my handles to a local guy in Brisbane, Queensland about the handles, and they said they will have an answer for me with a quote on Monday or Tuesday next week. I feel very comfortable with this new business as all they do is Lazer Cutting and i had a look at the work they do and it is second to none, very confident and have a great feeling about these new guys.

I will put up another update with a new direction and a real good feeling i have, stay tuned fellow Mopar friends :wave:

:grinyes: I have also made an adjustment on my numbering system, the E-body shifters will now have a EB added to the end of the KLM100001EB numbering, it was brought to my attention by a fellow member, i had forgotten all about the later gen 3 B-bodies that use the same Slap-Stick mechanism as the E-body, so i have now added them to the list also. :grinyes:

Thank You,
Kenny :bigsmile:
HEMIKEN.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014 - 10:01:00 PM by hemiken »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2014 - 03:14:31 AM »
Good luck with the new shop.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2014 - 04:21:13 AM »
Thank You David. :wave: I may have also found a guy to do my T-shirt design also :jumping:

Offline momack55

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2014 - 05:40:20 AM »
Ahhhh Kenny!!!

Just back from Mattys......He has given me a pistol grip he bought at COTM!!!  Jeez!!  Sorry mate!!  And Its rool cool!!  I'll send you a photo when I can!!!  OOPS!!!

Maury!!  :aussie:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2014 - 10:24:20 PM »
Ahhhh Kenny!!!

Just back from Mattys......He has given me a pistol grip he bought at COTM!!!  Jeez!!  Sorry mate!!  And Its rool cool!!  I'll send you a photo when I can!!!  OOPS!!!

Maury!!  :aussie:
Hi Mozz, :wave:

I think i know the style of shifter he gave you, it has a trigger on the front right ? I do not think Matty knows what mine looks like, or how they work compared to others on the market. I will show you mine in time when next we meet up, i should have them together and ready for sale by then.
My shifter may just change Matty's mind also from stock.

Kenny :2thumbs: