Author Topic: Suggestions on subframe connectors for 70 Challenger?  (Read 11743 times)

Offline dakota

Suggestions on subframe connectors for 70 Challenger?
« on: November 24, 2013 - 03:38:14 PM »
I've been exploring options for subframe connectors for my 70 Challenger.   It has a stock 340 4-bbl but at some point in the future I'm may be doing an swap to a modern hemi, so I'm looking for the best option to start stiffening the frame. The bolt-on type are more appealing to me from a do-it-yourself standpoint, but I don't know how much of the stiffness benefit I'm giving up my steering clear of the weld-on type.  I'd prefer not to cut up the floor pan, so the available options would appear to be:

Unlawful racing:  http://www.unlawfulracing.com/FrameConnectorKits.html

Mopar subframe connectors:  http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/shop/item.aspx?itemid=22

The connectors that come with the Hotckis TVS package appears to need minimal welding.   I've seen the US Car Tool type as well, but some of the posts I've read suggest that they can take a bit of tweaking to fit correctly.   

If there are any strong opinions out there on any of the above (or other types), I'm all ears.   Thanks.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Suggestions on subframe connectors for 70 Challenger?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013 - 09:09:45 AM »
Bolt ins may offer some stiffening but the welded ones are far better. You can easliy make your own a lot cheaper than spending a lot of money on those pretty ones.  :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013 - 10:56:33 PM »
I use 1x2" 1.125 wall tubing , put a notch in them to follow the floor contour & weld them in . $20 / side

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013 - 11:01:59 PM »
I have the bolt-on type on my vert. They were bolted then welded. They do the job but hang a little low at the rear because of the design. The ones that are cut to fit the floor pans are a look a lot better.
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013 - 11:23:36 PM »
US Cartool out of Durham NC makes the contoured subframe connectors for a very good price ($169.00 bucks for the set). These are the ones that are cut to fit the contour of the bottom of the car that are for welding in. Good product from what I hear. See the link! http://store.uscartool.com/70-74-E-Body-frame-connector-dodge-challenger.html   

Matt B.
Matt

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013 - 02:37:36 PM »
Go with any of the bolt on types.  Mount them yourself and drive over to a muffler shop or welder to have them welded in.  The Hotchkis setup is also really nice as you aren't drilling any holes at all.  If I was to do it over again, I'd do it this way.  I went with Auto Rust Technicians (www.autorust.com) where they say you won't cut the floor pan.  Well, I had to.  Wasn't that bad, but in hindsight...
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013 - 04:23:48 PM »
US Cartool out of Durham NC makes the contoured subframe connectors for a very good price ($169.00 bucks for the set). These are the ones that are cut to fit the contour of the bottom of the car that are for welding in. Good product from what I hear. See the link! http://store.uscartool.com/70-74-E-Body-frame-connector-dodge-challenger.html   

Matt B.
:iagree:  The US Car tool frame connectors fit decent, Some trimming is required..I did mine in a afternoon (see picture). Most of the bolt in ones sit too low to my standard. You could also make your own also and save some $$$
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013 - 04:34:33 PM »
I am going to attempt to make my own, when the time comes (AKA when ever the hell I buy a welder), copying Brad 70's ideas.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.60 Check rely #65.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013 - 07:38:27 PM »
I use 1x2" 1.125 wall tubing , put a notch in them to follow the floor contour & weld them in . $20 / side

I agree make your own! As per Neil's suggestion I made my own.  Material cost me like $25 and I had enough to do 2 cars.  I had the US car tool version and sold them, too much fitting and work IMO.
Jason come up next summer and we can build a set for your car too! Some Sunday afternoon or something?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013 - 10:15:05 PM »
I agree make your own! As per Neil's suggestion I made my own.  Material cost me like $25 and I had enough to do 2 cars.  I had the US car tool version and sold them, too much fitting and work IMO.
Jason come up next summer and we can build a set for your car too! Some Sunday afternoon or something?

Thanks for the offer brad.  We will have to talk about that in the summer.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013 - 11:33:22 PM »
Remember to think ahead about where your e-brake cable will route.....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013 - 02:34:51 PM »
 :iagree: I have the U.S. Cartool connectors and when it came to the E-Brake cables I had to measure, cut, trim, cut, test fit, trim etc. and welded in a piece of pipe to make a tunnel for the cable.  Fiddly work, but in the end very rigid.

I had a homemade set of connectors in my convertible, made out of 1/8 box channel and I noticed that the floor and connectors flexed independently.  I had changing door gaps when I accelerated or reversed.  The U.S. Cartool ones connect the floor pan to the frame rails directly so hopefully it's going to be more rigid.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline polarbear123

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014 - 08:59:01 AM »
Hey Dakota what did you end up doing. I am trying to figure out which ones to put in.

Offline dakota

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014 - 03:37:16 PM »
No decision made as of yet.   I started asking about subframe connectors before i got the car back from the paint shop (March 2014).   At present, the front suspension is pulled off, the transmission is out, and all of the interior & dash has been removed.   I need to get the car mobile once more in the next couple of months so that I can give the garage back to my wife before the snow flies again.  If time and limited welding skill wasn't an issue, I would go with the US Car Tool connectors to keep them mostly hidden.   The way things are playing out, I will probably have to make do with one of the bolt-ons that are firmed up with welding in someone else's shop later.   

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014 - 04:17:38 PM »
I did Hotchkis, if I was to do it over, I would prefer the homemade box tubing. 
Don't like how low they sit and not sure they are as stiff, definitely not cheap.