Author Topic: 69CHARGERMD's 1970 Challenger restoration  (Read 46232 times)

Offline 69CHARGERMD

Re: 69CHARGERMD's 1970 Challenger restoration
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013 - 02:22:46 PM »
Here is the Data Tag
My understanding is A91 is the WSS ( Western Sport Special ) number. ( I found this in my decoding book and some other research )
Interestingly, the car was built in Hamtramack.
The car was sold new in Los Angles ( I have the original paper work from the first owner in the car ), and the 2nd owner in San Marino Cali.
The title is still from Calif from 84' ( 2nd owner )
The car has the emission tube (calif car)  ( not sure if I am describing it correctly ) in the trunk next to the gas filler tube
I cant identify any WSS decals on the car
I am not sure what else goes with the WSS package, etc.
Not sure if this is a rare thing or not ?
I enclosed the data tag.
Please feel free to comment if any of the above stuff I posted sounds incorrect.
thanks
Doug

1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013 - 02:47:43 PM »
A91 is the code for a WSS (one of the few codes I know  :bigsmile:). What's more, if memory serves very few of these were Hamtramck cars. Production numbers were:

145 - 225cid
1,066 - 318cid
381 - 383cid

If I remember correctly Barry at Hamtramck Historical (http://www.hamtramck-historical.com) has some info on these, and if he doesn't he can probably point you in the right direction. I want to say that the number of Hamtramck WSS cars is in the single digits, but every time I say something like that someone comes along to correct me  :roflsmiley:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013 - 03:14:40 PM »
THANK YOU for your info HK
My limited reading mentioned most of the WSS cars were calif built, this one shows Hamtramack.
It has a rim blow, vinyl top, remote driver side mirror, sill mouldings, belt mouldings, cowl moulding, pedal dress up, bumper guards w/rubber inserts, 14 rims, woodgrain dash.
Not sure what a "front splash pan scoop" (but it's mentioned in the package )
My mirror is gone, but there is a factory hole in the driver door side with what looks like for a remote,

Not sure what the "rear taillight astrotone applique" is ( maybe that is the silver argent on the rear tail ? )
Mine is a 318 car ( has the original motor and trans in it )

Here I was thinking this was just a little 318 from California. Had no idea it might have something unique
thank you for your response.
Doug
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013 - 03:16:30 PM by 69CHARGERMD »
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013 - 03:47:41 PM »

Superglue and challenger, thanks, I kept the side molding, several pieces are good, a few are banged up, I'm not planning on putting it back on.

Doug.  :2thumbs:

:roflsmiley:  :smilielol: Never been called that before!   :smilielol:  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013 - 06:47:22 PM »
Super blue. I'm so sorry, that was a typo, I went back and modified the post,
 :drunk:

1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013 - 07:40:21 PM »

:roflsmiley: I kind of like the Superglue one myself.   :lol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol: That's the kind of thing that happens to me with the tablet finishing words for me all the time.

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013 - 08:26:51 PM »
Hey guys, I want to start making a list of stuff Im going to need to put the car back together after it's painted.
I have some idea on where to get things,,,,but also note some people like certain products from various vendors.

Would you guys mind mentioning who you like for various items I will need..... :chatting:
eg
Interior stuff. I will need carpet, headliner, rubber trim, window fuzzies, sill plates, dash pad, package tray, seat belts, etc

Exterior stuff. emblems, ( challenger script ), tape stripes ( eg, R/T ) side stripe

Paint for grill and rear tail panel restoration

Wiring harness for engine bay, lights, basically the whole car

manual steering box

Wheel lip mouldings..

Front and rear valence ( AMD ? )

I am blown away by a lot of the restorations on the board, eg ToxicWolf's, Brad70, etc, and many more I haven't viewed yet.

I would appreciate any input on who you guys like to use for various parts for the car, it would help me a lot,

thank you,

Doug :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013 - 08:29:29 PM by 69CHARGERMD »
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013 - 08:52:46 PM »
Window fuzzies - Top Cat
Seals - Metro

You can find a lot of stuff on ebay, but I'm sure others will jump in here. Top Cat and Metro are manufacturers.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013 - 11:07:40 AM »

Geeze, no worries!  :roflsmiley: I got a real good laugh out of it!  :smilielol:  Didn't have to modify the post. But thanks!  :cheers:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013 - 11:54:59 AM »
The rear trim panel should be silver, and came on an SE, R/T SE or in my case, I have a R/T with the SE trim package (A63), which means it does not have the opera rear window and hard board headliner, but all of the other moldings.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013 - 01:14:38 PM »
Geeze, no worries!  :roflsmiley: I got a real good laugh out of it!  :smilielol:  Didn't have to modify the post. But thanks!  :cheers:

Glad you took it well, Phil. That could have been a sticky situation.

OK, that's it  :roflsmiley:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013 - 03:53:59 PM »
Well, if you're into "One Stop Shopping" contact David at Roseville Moparts. He is a member here and often offers discounts. :clapping:
He has just about everything on your list and he only carries the best quality of parts....He done all the research for you :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013 - 05:52:58 PM »
ksierens.  Thanks for the info on the rear panel color. :cheers: Mine looks to be argent silver, so i will keep it that way. I have seen alot with "black" tail panels. My tail panel is "one piece" ie, the panel and surround molding are one.

anlauto. Thank you for the post, i have seen David at Roseville's name come up again and again. I might start with him, and go thru my list. Sounds like he has nice stuff. Thanks for the info.  :woohoo:

ClallengerHK, good one...lol  :smilielol:
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013 - 10:23:53 AM »
Yup, mine is argent silver also.  I think the black tail panels are typically when there is no 'SE' style trim, and it is just the body that is painted black around the tail lights.

I second using Dave at Roseville, I have bought many things from him, and he is always very helpful.  The fact that they are only a few miles from my house helps too  :naughty:
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013 - 08:57:22 AM »
Spent some time on the car today. Pulled the interior out except for the headliner.
So far, things are looking very solid, no major issues.
I found the build sheet under the rear seat,  :woohoo:

I also found the name "Rock" in stencil written on the driver side, rear, wheel tub area, i took a bunch of pictures and left it alone.

I have some pics to show,
Going to pull the motor and trans soon, it's all unhooked, just have to pull the bolts out of the mounts and it's good.

Thank you to everyone for the advice so far, going to need your guys help as i go thru this.

Found this sticker on the floor under the carpet,,,,

Close up of the sticker,

Carpet out, floors look very good.

Build sheet under the rear seat

one more

"Rock"

1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere