Cuda at a road course track day

Author Topic: Cuda at a road course track day  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Travis72

Cuda at a road course track day
« on: December 19, 2013 - 01:00:33 PM »
I wasn’t sure where else to post this, but this section seemed like the closest even though I was not actually racing.

After all these years building the car I finally got to take the Cuda to a “high-performance driving event” or HPDE on a road course.  The track is called Inde Motorsports Ranch in Wilcox AZ (basically a tiny little town) and its a private track.  Luckily I know someone from work that puts on private track days.  Basically this guy organizes it and limits it to 32 cars divided up in to 4 run groups.  So only 8 cars on track at any one time and its a 2 +mile course so once the cars spread out you don’t have to worry about getting stuck behind someone (passing is only allowed on the main straight with a wave by).  Each group gets 15 minutes on the track each hour and you just keep cycling through the groups all day long.  Unfortunately early in the day someone oiled down a large part of the track and the cleanup took a long time so I was only able to do 2 run groups in the Cuda and 1 in my Dad’s Mini Cooper before packing up at the end of the day. I could have gotten at least 1 more run in but I decided to quit while I was ahead  :D

The Cuda ran good overall, but I took it pretty easy given the nasty driveshaft rubbing.  Plus I’ve only got 850 miles on the car since the rebuild.  I had two issues with the car.  One with the new lower stance and the pinion angle adjusted to be equal with the transmission angle the driveshaft was rubbing on the floorboard.  That’s the awful buzzing noise you hear in the in car video.  Because of that I pretty much only used full throttle on the main straight and up the hill.  You can hear in the video there were parts where I was just coasting because I knew there were bumps on the track which would cause it to rub even worse.  Since I was working on other things the day before I went to the track I didn’t get a chance to adjust the angle down a couple of degrees.   I might need to cut the floorboards and space up the rear of the transmission even more.

The only other issue I had was the axle vent was pushing out gear oil resulting in an oily mist on the rear suspension and rear of the car. I have a hose running from the axle vent to a little K&N filter and it was basically leaking out of that.  I'll have to hook up a catch can type setup for it. Here’s a pic showing the spray on the back of the car.  It made a mess.

On the plus side, thanks to Dan at DTM Racing the car handled great and the brakes were good for the entire 15 minute session.  I think the car can outhandle my driving nerve.  :D   Anyway I had a blast and I accomplished what I wanted to which was to get the car on the track, get some experience driving it and to figure out what else needs to be fixed!  Next time out I should have these 2 issues fixed and I’ll push it harder.

Here’s some pics and videos.  There was a good mix of cars including 2 McLarens ( I think these are like $270k a piece or something!), plus everything from Honda’s, Evos and WRXs, lots of Vettes, to even a Nissan GTR.

There was even another old car!  A really nice 2nd gen Camaro that does a ton of track days. I spent a while talking to the owner.  He drove there towing a little trailer that housed his race tires.  Cool!

This vintage race car Camaro also turned a few laps.

Here you can see some of the assortment of cars... Acura, Honda, Evo, GT-R, Porsche race car, BMW race car, new Camaro...

These are the only action shots that I was able to find:

In this video I layed back at the start because I kept catching some cars, plus Turn 2 heading on to the main straight  is one of the few places where there is a wall on the track so I never pushed it there.  Then on the main straight I lifted early and coasted for a bit.  I still ended up catching the Evo and the Subaru WRX STI in front of me.  Since you can only pass on the straight, at that point I just stayed behind them and didn’t want to get too close to them and get pelted by rocks or worry about them out braking me.  Be sure and watch in high def.

1972 Cuda at Inde Motorsports Ranch track day 12/14/13

In this video I put the GoPro outside the car but it picked up a ton of wind noise because it was windy that day.  On the plus side you don't have to listen to the driveshaft rubbing!  :D Oh and I know it doesn’t look like I’m going that fast, but I hit 110 mph on the front straight and the even the slowest corner on the course you’re exiting the corner at 45 mph.  I did just leave it in 4th gear the entire time so on the slow corners it’s down at like 2000 rpm and bogging out of the corner.  I figured that way I didn’t have to worry about spinning out when getting back on the throttle.  In reality on most of the course I should be in 3rd except for the main straight and uphill portion.

72 Cuda at Inde Motorsports Ranch

Anyway I’m looking forward to the next event where I will have the 2 issues fixed and I’ll be able to push the car harder!

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016 - 07:42:35 PM by Travis72 »

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
Re: Cuda at a road course track day
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013 - 01:52:02 PM »
Right on!
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline SBDave

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013 - 02:17:14 PM »
Congrats! Car looks great slightly lowered there with the ridetech shocks

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013 - 02:22:19 PM »
That's awesome Travis really. Awesome.my wife has been asking me what I want for Xmas and I was thinking a go pro or something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0YX08C4599

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013 - 05:27:13 PM »
way cool travis  :2thumbs:  :woo:  must feel great after all you`ve been through with the car  :22yikes:   gotta love seeing that big fat rallye hood  with the track in front.  Looks beautiful out there too  :bigshades:   
*** Bart ***

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013 - 05:44:55 PM »
I am green with envy my brutha, well done Travis :burnout: way to go.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013 - 05:55:33 PM »
Nice!  :clapping: :2thumbs:  That black McLaren looks to have Ontario plates on it?   :clueless:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013 - 10:16:00 PM »
That's what I thought too Brad.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013 - 01:23:06 AM »
Yeah it does have Ontario plates.  The track actually has members (a very rich boy's club) where they pay a ton of money to have free access to the track whenever they want, kind of like a golf course membership I guess.  They also get to rent the huge garages that you see behind the Marine A4 jet in the one picture.  The guys that owned the McLarens, Ferrari and most of the race cars at the track where members and not just locals off the street like myself.  I'm guessing with that kind of money they just leave their McLaren down here in AZ and probably spend winters here?  We call them snowbirds.

Grimmey you can't go wrong with a GoPro.  It great other than the battery life sucks when using the Wifi.  I had to buy a spare battery.  At the track it's probably 70% GoPro's, 20% Replay XDs and 10% other cameras.  The Replay XD looks to be a real nice camera as well and its even smaller than the GoPro.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013 - 04:48:47 AM »
 :ylsuper:NIIIICE! :ylsuper:  It's awesome you're taking your Cuda out and driving it like crazy.  I've done a couple HDPE track days in my new Challenger and I got hooked.  I can't wait till I get my vintage car built and hooked up for the track.

x2 on the Go Pro.  I have a few vids of me at Watkins Glen and Carlisle courses.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013 - 07:18:53 AM »
Yeah it does have Ontario plates.  The track actually has members (a very rich boy's club) where they pay a ton of money to have free access to the track whenever they want, kind of like a golf course membership I guess.  They also get to rent the huge garages that you see behind the Marine A4 jet in the one picture.  The guys that owned the McLarens, Ferrari and most of the race cars at the track where members and not just locals off the street like myself.  I'm guessing with that kind of money they just leave their McLaren down here in AZ and probably spend winters here?  We call them snowbirds.

Grimmey you can't go wrong with a GoPro.  It great other than the battery life sucks when using the Wifi.  I had to buy a spare battery.  At the track it's probably 70% GoPro's, 20% Replay XDs and 10% other cameras.  The Replay XD looks to be a real nice camera as well and its even smaller than the GoPro.

Travis
72 Cuda

Ya we call them snowbirds as well. My Dad just moved into a retirement community and the population drops by about 70% in winter, Florida, AZ, and Texas seem to be the popular spots.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013 - 08:28:23 AM »
Good stuff!

GoPros are great for the money.  The audio is not so hot using the internal mic (especially with a water proof case on it), and as mentioned Wi Fi does drain the battery.  However there are a ton of mounting options and the videos do come out looking sharp.

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013 - 02:00:54 AM »
I'd sure like to have a GoPro camera for Christmas... would then get really creative and share lots of vid of my T/a on the autocross and road course events.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013 - 07:51:23 AM »
Travis,
Looks and sounds great! Really glad you finally made it to the track after a long journey!
So are you saying I should raise my driveshaft tunnel while I'm at it?  :bigsmile:

Awesome.
Wes

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013 - 08:35:25 AM »
Looks like a blast, man.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars