Door Panels for 74 Cuda

Author Topic: Door Panels for 74 Cuda  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Johnny Cuda

Door Panels for 74 Cuda
« on: April 09, 2005 - 04:22:53 PM »
I'm gonna be in the market for some new front inside Door Panels for my 74 Cuda. Any ideas on who to checkout and who to avoid. So far the parts I've received from Jim's Auto Parts have been great, I like his prices too as opposed to year one. But if anyone else out there knows of a good quality panel as well please let me know.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Door Panels for 74 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005 - 05:59:17 PM »
I`ll be the first but probably not the last to warn you to stay away from Jim`s!I can drive to his business in 45 minutes but would rather pay shipping from Year One than deal with that A$$!You may have gotten lucky but he has many more very unsatisfied customers.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005 - 06:27:59 PM »
What's seems to be the biggest problem? One of the things I really don't care for is that when you order stuff you get it from different locations and once they charge you they can't tell you when or how long your parts are going to take to get to you. Also not to impressed with their customer service. But have you had quality issues with them as well??

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005 - 09:34:29 AM »
As stated in an earlier thread I have also bought a few peices from "jims" back in dec and jan and had good luck with them before I was "enlightened" by the guys here. The way I look at it if these venders "screw" one of us they may as well screw us all. Although I had good luck with them I will not buy anything else from them based upon experiences by my fellow mopar buddies here. Maybe we should have a place where we can list vendors who we should steer clear of??
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005 - 01:53:31 PM »
Thier customer service is HORRIBLE!!They are usually rude and not at all helpfull with any issues.I won`t retype the whole story but I personally tried to help Jim out one day I as at his store and instead of thanking me he gave me an attitude.I`ll spend my money elsewhere.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005 - 06:02:04 PM »
You are right about the attitude TC, every time I called em cause my stuff took very long to get here they were no help at all. Maybe I will go with year one as well. I thought I read an earlier post though about someone who got crappy ones twice from Year One. Oh what to do?? :dontknow:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005 - 06:42:09 PM »
In my opinion the best thing to do is get old ones and refurbish them ;)

The new ones never look right to me

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005 - 07:05:03 PM »
 :iagree:

I picked up on eBay good used (green) rear panels last March for $100 total; (green) door panels last May for $135.83 total; and black kick panels last October for $64 total. All these had been replaced on my 73 with reproductions which in my opinion looked poor at best. The screw holes were not in the original locations nor was there a  hole to accomodate the driver side remote mirror(!!??). Also the grain pattern was not as defined and the repros seem more brittle than the 30+ year old originals i've picked up. When it gets to the point of prepping for installation i'll attempt to put the SEMS treatment on them as Rev and Redline applied to thiers. Only difference in my case being a color change from green to white on the front and rear panels. Purely personal preference. Btw the used driver side door panel had a cracked armrest pad so i picked up a used black one again on eBay for ten bucks or so - cheapskate that i am sometimes.
  Headway, if possible contact the manufacturer or distributor whose panels you decide on and ask for someone in your area they've sold to so you can judge for yourself.

Russ
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005 - 06:45:14 PM by twofornow »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005 - 08:03:23 AM »
360 - Mine have the old eaten away look, ya know when the plastic has crumbled away from years of use. I thought about the refurbishment route. What can you use to build up the areas where the plastic has crumbled away. Painting them would not be a problem. Any pointers you could give me would be appreciated.

Offline dilligaf

• Willcraft Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005 - 08:56:23 AM »
Hi,
I have recieved my Third set of repro door panels from Year-one.
MFR was Dashtop, and they are crap.
They do NOT fit the door.
The rear panels you have to figure out where to cut the hole, and the slice for the seat belts.
The fronts as you say, the screw hols do NOT line up, the buttom row of door clip hols, some line up, the rest done't.
The plastic they use is black, and they then paint to your need, in my case white, and it scratches very easily.
All 3 sets arrived damaged, rear of both front panels.
And they are very brittle.
I love to pay good dollar for good product, but this is far from a quality repro.
dilligaf
2 1974 'Cuda's
1 1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005 - 09:59:55 AM »
WOW I'm scared to ever try to install mine!!     :ack:   :ack:   :ack:

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005 - 08:28:12 PM »
I decided to give Laysons a call, it will take 10  weeks to get them. I asked if they get theirs from Dashtop and they said no. So I ordered them. When I get them I'll post to let everyone what kind of quality and fit they have.

Offline dilligaf

• Willcraft Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005 - 09:09:45 PM »
I decided to give Laysons a call, it will take 10  weeks to get them. I asked if they get theirs from Dashtop and they said no. So I ordered them. When I get them I'll post to let everyone what kind of quality and fit they have.
I will be interested to hear what you find out.
You know though, Legendary and Year One both said 10 weeks.
2 1974 'Cuda's
1 1973 Challenger

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005 - 09:12:10 PM »
I have yet to see a set of repo e body door panels that looked "correct". You can find a nice set of used black panels out there for what they want for the repos, and restoring them is not too hard. the key is proper cleaning and prep...I've done several sets without any problems years down the road. I have not seen a set of panels that were re-skinned by "Just Dashes" personally, but i hear they are pretty nice, but expensive and a long wait to get them done.

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005 - 04:24:58 PM »
Just got my door panels from Laysons, they came in 5 weeks, not bad time. They look pretty decent, came in good condition. Of course my Cuda is at the paint shop so I can't check them for fit yet. These are repro's so of course they are not exact. The grain is pretty defined, the color looks good, the only big difference I see between the originals and the repros is the center indented design is not as defined. These were manufactured by accuform. My Cuda will not be a concourse car so the difference does not bother me. I hope the attached pictures help.