"H" or "X" Exhaust ?

Author Topic: "H" or "X" Exhaust ?  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
Re: "H" or "X" Exhaust ?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014 - 11:14:07 AM »
X-Pipe - Stop by the shop and check out our X-Pipe systems. We are adding new systems all the time! Or you can give us a call to check on the system you are looking for.

X-Pipe - How it works. Beware of mass produced, pre-stamped X-pipes that create too much turbulence and do not perform the way they should. A properly built X-pipe does not allow the exhaust to cross over from one side to the other, much like a traffic intersection. This creates too much turbulence and leads to a "traffic jam." They do seem to work at lower rpm’s when exhaust pressures and volumes are lower, but at higher rpm’s these open type X's that blow directly from one side to another create restriction and turbulence witch will slow down each pulse and lead to a loss of power and performance. Not only that, but mass produced, pre-stamped X-pipes can create unwanted harmonics from the turbulence caused by the exhaust fighting its way through the X from one side to another.

To understand how a properly built X-pipe functions we must first understand the difference between back pressure and restriction. For each combustion coming out of a chamber there is a pocket of high
pressure which is restriction or the force of resistance that the exhaust system puts on each pulse and behind each pulse of high pressure is a vacuum pocket of low pressure which has been known as back pressure. Scavenging is the process through which the vacuum pocket behind one pulse actually pulls the following high-pressure pulse along. An exhaust system with too much restriction or to little restriction will loose its ability to scavenge and therefore cause loss of power and performance.

In a properly built X-pipe as the high pressure pulse sweeps buy the opening in the connection of the pipes from each bank of the engine, its restriction is relieved from the low pressure pocket coming from the opposite bank. This increases its velocity and increases the back pressure just enough to increase the scavenging of exhaust gasses both at low and high rpm's resulting in greater power and performance.

The above is from the Olympia, WA  Quality Muffler and Brake Shop that built and installed my X-pipe.  These guys pioneered the X-pipe but never patented it.  Now everybody makes one.  These guys have jigs for popular muscle cars and can make one in a few minutes.  They maintain and stress "not all X-pipes are the same" and that many offer no advantage over H-pipes.
The Brewmaster

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014 - 05:42:57 PM »
I think TTI recomends that the X pipe should have a little tack weld to hold it in place. That would make it a little more difficult to remove. However even the H pipe takes a little effort to seperate after the clamps have been tightened a couple of times.

Jack

Yes, they do, but I've found its not necessary, and my entire X-pipe center section is staying firmly in place with four pipe clamps.
The X-pipe section is pretty light.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014 - 06:21:46 PM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline johannes

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014 - 05:52:16 PM »
You will have a hard time installing an OverDrive if you choose the "X".

Aside;
Another issue is what type of flexible joint you plan to install....
There will be quite some engine "twist" with a high torque engine,..and the 3" pipes does not bend much....
Without flex allowance an unknown amount of force will be transmitted to header-bolts and exhaust suspension....

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014 - 06:22:24 PM »

Aside;
There will be quite some engine "twist" with a high torque engine,..and the 3" pipes does not bend much....
Without flex allowance an unknown amount of force will be transmitted to header-bolts and exhaust suspension....

A high torque engine should have a torque strap, such as the one Schumacher sells. Also, even if engine twists, the
exhaust piping is just hanging from the frame/body.  Because its hanging, it will freely move with the engine.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014 - 06:26:02 PM »
The entire exhaust is rubber mounted to the body in most cars...It moves with the engine....now whether or not it hits the chassis is a different story.

The car I'm working on will have a TKO 600 for a transmission. I don't think either pipe will be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014 - 09:46:08 PM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014 - 09:29:14 PM »

Aside;

I have the magnaflo kit on my car . It has an X , and I have an OD automatic. Lots of room.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014 - 02:12:05 AM »
The entire exhaust is rubber mounted to the body in most cars...It moves with the engine....now whether or not it hits the chassis is a different story.

The car I'm working on will have a TKO 600 for a transmission. I don't think either pipe will be a problem.

The rubber mounts should be considered rigid, but used for noise isolation.  You can still transmit tons of load using rubber mounts (look at your suspension).
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014 - 09:29:59 AM »
I actually have both setups . . . Not sure I like one over the other?    :dunno:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014 - 09:36:04 AM »
Are both of your drivetrains similar, Dave?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014 - 11:00:51 AM »
Are both of your drivetrains similar, Dave?

No actually I have an H pipe in the hardtop that features 500 ci stroker with hemi 4 speed and then X pipe in the convertible with 440 auto.  I will say that I am able to remove the trans in the hardtop without doing anything with the exhaust but if I needed to in the convert, I would have serious issue and would need to remove the exhaust to get that trans out. 

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014 - 05:40:31 AM »
After reading this thread I have a question.  What is going on, whether its good or bad, with a dual exhaust system which has neither H or X crossover? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014 - 05:50:28 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014 - 05:18:14 PM »
After reading this thread I have a question.  What is going on, whether its good or bad, with a dual exhaust system which has neither H or X crossover?

There is a difference in sound from the "H" and "X" pipes. I like the "H" for that, but the "X" has been proven to be more efficient. So we are really splitting hairs here in my opinion. You could get better sound, and a few more HP with the "H" or "X" system, but if you like yours, no way would I change it out.  It's not worth it.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014 - 06:31:31 PM »
well..... when i had my 08 shelby gt500, we did exhaust test between x and h pipe.  h-pipe was more throatier and low, where the x pipe was more high pitched, the difference in hp was not much at all, like 3 hp more with the x-pipe at 5000 rpms!

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014 - 06:38:58 PM »
Exhaust note and a small amount of horsepower, probably undetectable by the seat of the pants dyno.  :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.