Author Topic: recommendation on paint  (Read 840 times)

Offline IroquoisPliskin

recommendation on paint
« on: January 20, 2014 - 09:30:22 AM »
Hello! I'm considering to redo few "bad spots" on my 'cuda. Actually nothing really bad, just some small scratches and paint chips. Unfortunately the body shop guys have some difficulties to mix the color correctly. The color of my car is autumn bronze metallic (code K6). It can look very differently dependent on light conditions (e.g. sunny or cloudy day, shadow or illuminated directly etc.) and the angle of incidence. Especially this variety of appearance is difficult to create. Under some circumstances the mixed paint is matching perfectly under some conditions there is a slight mismatch visible. Except that the paint itself seems to be a different type than that one being used commonly here in Europe.
I'm wondering if it is possibly better to order the paint in the USA directly. Can you give me a recommendation for a supplier? Maybe you know the paint code for K6, which could be helpful when attempting to mix the correct color? Thanks!

(OO[ [ [ ] ] ]OO)

Offline 4 speed fish

Re: recommendation on paint
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014 - 01:05:02 PM »
carpaintonline.good prices.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014 - 09:12:48 PM »
Many of the top line cars in Canada are painted with European paint company paint! Sikkens and BASF are big players and Herberts is another one. Depending on where you are, I'd try contacting them directly. Having said all that, my brother-in-law is a paint chemist and I asked him about the matching thing. His response was that the paint companies buy their pigments from suppliers in big batches, but when they run out, it's not uncommon for the replacement batch to be a wee bit off. PITA, but there you are. A skilled painted can do wonders if he can blend and I'd be asking around for who the local Rembrandt is. Good luck.  :2cents:

Offline IroquoisPliskin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014 - 05:32:32 PM »
My hope was I could prevent from over spraying bigger areas, if I could find and purchase the correct paint for my car. Except that I heard that there could be some risk when putting a new layer over an US paint job, because of some characteristics of the paint. I'm sure finally there will be a way to do the repair, but if the paint was available directly it would be the most comfortable case. Thanks for your replies.

(OO[ [ [ ] ] ]OO)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014 - 06:46:40 PM »
Unless you know what type paint was used it`ll be a crap shoot. Laquer, Enamel, Urethane and water base may or may not be compatible over the other one, the company that  maufatcures the paint is usually less important than the type. Also do you know if it`s base/clear or single stage? An easy way to tell is sand a spot with fine paper and look at the paper and see if it is the color of the car (single stage) or white (clear).
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi