Author Topic: 1970 plumb crazy rt/se 440 6 pack 4 speed dana car for trade  (Read 14071 times)

Offline tman

Re: 1970 plumb crazy rt/se 440 6 pack 4 speed dana car for trade
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014 - 03:16:41 PM »
Put it up for auction with reserve and see what buyers would pay for it.  Its all about the buyers who is willing to part with their cash.  Some of the numbers are pretty ball park accurate based on the little info and photos.
A question was asked if anyone knew how many V code SE's were around.  Unless someone who can see all the V codes out there in the world, that is still around, it would be a guess.  You can only post how many V codes known to  have been built and some charts say 296 Vcode RT/SE.  I can guess.  Let's see, there are only 5 left in this whole world, plus or minus 291.  There could be 50 or more of them in barns that no one knows about. 

Offline Colorado-0A5599

• Mopar or no car!
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014 - 06:28:07 PM »
im wanting to trade my 70 rt/se 440 6 pack 4 speed plumb crazy purple car all numbers matching from front to back the car does not have any rust at all the drivers side quarter was replaced with one off of another car due to accident but it is a rust free one i have new carpet and new shifter boot also have nos door handles very nice running and driving car everything on the car works great tach,speedo,reverse light, only thing dont work is the clock what do you have to trade and be reasonable because we all no what this car is worth thanks Donnie   502-262-4708 or email   gaild@twc.com     also does have fender tag but have not found build sheet only place i have not looked is in the headliner because it is so nice i dont want to miss it up.
also does have fender tag but have not found build sheet only place i have not looked is in the headliner because it is so nice i dont want to miss it up.

Have you looked behind seat backs. I was over a year before I found my good 1 there. :) Mine was behind passenger seat back cover.
My wife ?   O.K.
My dog ?    Maybe
My Dodge? NEVER!!!

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014 - 09:41:17 PM »

Have you looked behind seat backs. I was over a year before I found my good 1 there. :) Mine was behind passenger seat back cover.
I looked behind all seats above glove box cant find it. i no their might be a chance it is in the headliner but i cant make myself pull it down because it is so nice thanks.

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014 - 09:48:40 PM »
You're a little low, I would say a 340 or 383 car in similar condition would be around $12K-$17K . They never made a 1970 R/T Challenger with a 340, so if you're referring to a 71, then that is a whole different ball game.

This car in question as it sits as a project car would be in the $25K range, as a cleaned-up driver, it would fetch a bit more maybe in the $30K range.

Don't forget...The V code 70 Challenger ( R/T & RT/SE)  is the highest production number of a V code E Body ever made and FC7 is the highest production paint colour for those cars. Production numbers = desirability and value :2cents:
But were talking about a 4 speed 70 rt/se 440 six pack dana car if im thinking right there was only 135 of them built thats not a whole lot how many 71s with the same specs were made.

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014 - 09:53:12 PM »
In my opinion, that's exactly why it's hard to put a value on. It's not a fully restored show poodle, and it's not a basket case project car.

It is currently a decent clean driving car. With, as you say, a little TLC...it could be a nice driver for somebody.

However, most people who have money to spend on a collector car wouldn't be happy with a "decent driver" for top dollar. Most would want to restore it back to original. It's not a survivor.

Case in point. If a fully restored example of this car is $75K-$80K and a complete project of this car would be $10K-$15K....then where does this car lie ?

If you asked and sold the car for $25K there might be room for someone to restore it back to show standards in the original colour and possibly break even on their investment.

If you asked and sold the car for $40K there would be no chance of a restoration with being in way over your head, you would have to be happy with the car the way it is...any money spent wuld be a loss.

If a person that spends $40K+ on a car and can be happy with a decent driver in the wrong colour, then you're considered lucky to find that buyer.

This car has a very similar situation as the purple one in Australia that the owner thinks is a survivor.....hard to get top buck for a car needing work. :2cents:

Personally, I would rather buy that cheaper project, then a done car. At least restoring a car you know what you're getting.

Someone buying this car has no idea what's under the paint, or what's done to the motor/tranny/rear end, brakes suspension, etc... :dunno:
Not trying to stir up anything but if a 70 rt/se six pack 4 speed car is only worth 75 to 80 as you stated in this post then why is a 71 worth more.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014 - 09:55:47 PM »
But were talking about a 4 speed 70 rt/se 440 six pack dana car if im thinking right there was only 135 of them built thats not a whole lot how many 71s with the same specs were made.

I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014 - 09:56:54 PM »
Fair question for sure, but I think he is only asking $80K for his 71 now and he has OBO on it too.  Hasn't sold it either so maybe $70 to $75 is pretty close to what it takes to sell a V code Challenger.  Also, the level of restoration is a big part of the value and that 71 he has is done pretty dang right.  Hard to find anything wrong with it. 

Not trying to stir up anything but if a 70 rt/se six pack 4 speed car is only worth 75 to 80 as you stated in this post then why is a 71 worth more.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014 - 10:03:59 PM »

Supply and demand.  :2cents:
I own a 1971 Purple V code 4spd Challenger R/T....It's been advertised for sale at $98,500 for over six months now with no bites.
I chose that asking price because the cost of the restoration was $97,161.26 total.

It will most likely sell for $75K-$80K when it does sell. :thumbsup:

I think if your car was fully restored (another $50K-$60K invested) it would sell for about the same. However there are a lot of 70 V code Challengers on the market to choose from. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014 - 10:05:24 PM »
Fair question for sure, but I think he is only asking $80K for his 71 now and he has OBO on it too.  Hasn't sold it either so maybe $70 to $75 is pretty close to what it takes to sell a V code Challenger.  Also, the level of restoration is a big part of the value and that 71 he has is done pretty dang right.  Hard to find anything wrong with it.
Oh i completely agree with you i was just wondering about the $85,000.00 price on it and i dont disagree with the price on his 71 either because its a real nice car i just think a 70 in the same shape should bring 90 or 95 just my opinion but once again he has a beautiful car.

Offline 71blackdemon

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014 - 10:09:22 PM »
pretty low numbers.
I just like the grill and tail lights much better on a 70 than a 71 but thats just me

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014 - 10:20:16 PM »
90 or 95 is in the ballpark for sure if you find the right buyer and the car is restored really high end.  If you got the time, money and guts you can restore it to a top level and probably get 6 figures at a top auction too.  Both 70 and 71's have people who love them.  Any V code is going to have a lot of people who love it.

Here's some 70 challengers that sold at Barrett Jackson:

1970 Challenger True R Code with 22,900 miles = $121,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=738.1&aid=467

1970 Challenger V code = $110,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=652&aid=465

1970 Challenger V Code Plum Crazy 4 speed = $88,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=1051.1&aid=443

Oh i completely agree with you i was just wondering about the $85,000.00 price on it and i dont disagree with the price on his 71 either because its a real nice car i just think a 70 in the same shape should bring 90 or 95 just my opinion but once again he has a beautiful car.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 71blackdemon

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014 - 07:49:48 PM »
90 or 95 is in the ballpark for sure if you find the right buyer and the car is restored really high end.  If you got the time, money and guts you can restore it to a top level and probably get 6 figures at a top auction too.  Both 70 and 71's have people who love them.  Any V code is going to have a lot of people who love it.

Here's some 70 challengers that sold at Barrett Jackson:

1970 Challenger True R Code with 22,900 miles = $121,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=738.1&aid=467

1970 Challenger V code = $110,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=652&aid=465

1970 Challenger V Code Plum Crazy 4 speed = $88,000
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=1051.1&aid=443
I dont think we will see them numbers for a while.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014 - 09:10:10 PM »
Auction numbers can be deceiving as they include BOTH the buyers and sellers commissions.  For example, the 88K Plum Crazy V code 4 speed had a buyers premium of $8,800.  The seller had to pay a selling fee of $6,336 plus a time slot fee.  Time slot fees can vary, but good ones cost a lot and okay ones run about $2,000 (you don't get to pick, they pick it and TELL you what you owe them for the time slot).  So that $88,000 selling price put $70,864 in the sellers pocket.  That's not including any shipping, fuel, travel costs, hotel or things like that.  It's about $500 to $2,000 to get a car to BJ if you ship it in.  If you're not there to clean it, detail it and make sure everything is good, they have a fee for those services too.

So you can see how a car that sold for $88K is really netting the seller in the high 60's.

So if you were to restore your car for $50K plus what you paid for it you would need to get over 90K at auction to break even.  And to get 90K you better have a dang near perfect restoration.  If you want to make a profit I would suggest selling it now and not restoring it. 

I dont think we will see them numbers for a while.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014 - 06:19:30 AM »
Good info, I always wondered what the fees ran.
Kinda like Ebay, the only people really making any money is the auction.  Sounds like the car auctions are even worse, they ding both the seller and buyer.