Author Topic: Dash Frame Screws?  (Read 679 times)

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
Dash Frame Screws?
« on: February 02, 2014 - 10:51:37 PM »
Getting ready to paint my dash frame.  As I took each piece off, I put the screws back in the exact same location.  For the most part they are all #8 x 1/2" (for the trim, light bar, etc), but have two different head- types.  Some are "Phillips Pan-Head Tapping Screws", and some are "Phillips Washer-Head Tapping Screws".  Were both these types of screws used originally, or was only one type used?  If both types, then would someone be able to tell/show me which type gets used where?  I will be removing (before painting) and replacing all the U-nuts with new correct size black phosphate U-nuts.  Thanks.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Dash Frame Screws?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014 - 12:40:01 AM »
From my experience working with the dash I have noticed a mixture of those screws . . .  :dunno:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Dash Frame Screws?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014 - 07:18:10 AM »
There's actually about 6 or more different types of screws used in the E Body dash assembly. ;)

The washer type phillips type is only used in about four places, none of which are visible. One holds the pad to the frame on the driver's side, and three are used to hold the heater control bezel to the frame. They are not used anywhere else on the dash assembly in my experience. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com