Author Topic: Saddle Tan Door panels  (Read 1654 times)

Offline OzBP23

Saddle Tan Door panels
« on: February 23, 2014 - 01:09:26 AM »
I have a decision to make, My Gran Coupe has Saddle Tan Interior and I need to order anew set of front door panels, but I don't see that they are produced  in saddleTan, therfore which colour should i get - Black or White and then recolour with the SEM Dye
Thanks

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Saddle Tan Door panels
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014 - 06:25:22 AM »
Hi Dave, :wave:

What condition are your panels in now buddy ? It would be best to re-dye the Tan interior panels you have, all depending on how good they are old mate. My car is a Tan interior too, and i am in the works of getting the other interior coloured plastics made that were not released in the first run. The first run had Black, White, Red and Blue. I am also in conversations at the moment to have the remaining colours to become available of Burnt Orange, Green and Tan. I will keep you posted to my findings if you would like, as i am in need of a full set of Tan interior panels myself. :2thumbs:
So if you can hang out to see what the expected release time will be, and just use your panels you have for now with a refurbish, it may be worth waiting for. :wave:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline PlumCrazyRTSE

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014 - 09:37:23 AM »
OzBP23, if you find a tan dye that you think is close to the 70 saddle tan please let me know.  I bought a new set of red Metro panels that I need to dye tan.  I tried a couple of the tan colors available from SEM and neither seemed to be a very good match.  I was thinking about ordering a can of Saddle (1969) and a can of Brown (1970) from HerbsParts to see if either of those is a better match.  If all else fails, I'll probably take one of my old panels in to a local auto store and see if it can be color matched.
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FC7 Plum Crazy Purple
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FE5 Bright Red

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014 - 09:39:28 AM »
If you're going to dye new panels any colour, I would start with white. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014 - 10:35:08 AM »
I agree go with white if you can find them.
I used Herbs dye on mine, changing color to burnt orange.
I had new Metro panels, I could only get blue rears and white fronts.
The dye did a very nice job but be aware it take about three cans per panel.
Dave

Offline OzBP23

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014 - 04:53:46 PM »
Hi Ken
My existing  door panels have gone chalky on the top edge, I was advised to sand them back to remove the calkiness ( Is this really a word?) , which i did and had SEM dye matched to suit.
It looks ok but has lost the textured finish, I am happy to wait for when you get colour moulded panels produced. If you could advise when they are available that would be appreciated 

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014 - 06:05:10 PM »
The word is chalkiness, it means the state of being chalky. :2thumbs:

Their are ways to reapply the texture coating, their are products that you can get to simulate different sizes of tecture. You would have to do a test area to work out the size you would need, and then apply the Tan over the top in several light coats, so as not to fill in the area that shows the new texture. The best way for us here in Australia to get the colour right is to contact a paint rep and see if they can colour match to the inner side of your door panels, that should have the best finish and colour in that area, and make sure they are able to convert the paint in to a Plastic dye, and that they can get correct shean and a plastic promoter so the colour will adhere properly to the plastic. :grinyes:

I will keep you posted when i have something ready to release about the new coloured interior plastics also my friend. :wave:

Offline DY3-T/A

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014 - 10:21:02 PM »
 :thumbsup: Hemiken, what panels were you hoping to be made, Challenger or Cuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014 - 07:15:22 AM »
:thumbsup: Hemiken, what panels were you hoping to be made, Challenger or Cuda
G'Day Mate, long time since we talked last :2thumbs:
I am looking at getting the full range for both Barracuda and Challenger, i will be posting when i get confirmation myself, i have the ball rolling now, but need to know when i can let it go and see how much speed it will carry when everyone else jumps on to help make these things happen, justy need a little patience from everyone and a lot of understanding and cooperation from all of our Bruthas to make these happen. I have my fingers crossed and am hoping to hear something back soon, maybe this week. :cooldancing:

Offline DY3-T/A

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014 - 11:48:33 PM »
Hemiken, My car made the header for the local car show.  Look on the top header of  www.carstimeforgot.com  :bananasmi

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014 - 06:48:56 AM »
That is cool, it looks to be amongst good company sitting between that Black 32 and the candy bullet nose Studebaker :2thumbs:

Offline DY3-T/A

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014 - 06:20:53 PM »
The car was photo shopped in among the cars. But all the cars were there though.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014 - 07:07:30 AM »
They did a great job of it, and your car still looks amazing all the same :2thumbs: