Author Topic: 1970 challenger with original 318  (Read 1968 times)

Offline cele

1970 challenger with original 318
« on: February 27, 2014 - 10:16:28 AM »
There's a nice 1970 Challenger with the original 318 for sale near me.  I really want the car but I'm not sure what to offer.  She's better than a "20 footer" but not perfect.  It's has about 80% of the original paint with some areas resprayed (can't tell).  She looks really good and is all original  from the proper moldings, factory pinstripes, front mud flaps, etc.  The car shines and the interior is just as nice.  She's a two owner car with a lot of documentation.  Original bill of sale and maintenance records.  She's a 318 and the asking price is $23,000.  There is some wear on top of the front fender (scratching) and the bottom front fenders are starting to show very small bubbles/cracks (very small rust spot - very small).  Records indicate 62,000 miles and there are  a lot of documents and records.  This car rides and shifts well.  And that's what I want to do with her - drive !  She's not an RT so I'm not going to be afraid to drive her.  Nada value for this car in excellent condition is about $24,000.  This car is very good (not excellent) and rare - don't see many original 318's with cool challenger logo hub caps.  My question is this, what would you offer for this car ?  She doesn't blow smoke and I heard the 318's are reliable - reliable enough to drive a lot ?  Thanks for the help !!

Offline crocha617

Re: 1970 challenger with original 318
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014 - 10:20:59 AM »
Sounds like way too much money for an unrestored 318 Challenger to me but if you really like it make her an offer. Maybe worth $12-15,000 max but tough to tell without pictures. I'd probably keep looking. For example the one below on ebay is probably full of Bondo and looks to need a little work but can probably be bought for $12-13k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Challenger-2-door-1970-Dodge-Challenger-440Cu-/281273980177?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417d3c5511&item=281273980177&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014 - 10:30:01 AM by crocha617 »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014 - 10:39:20 AM »
I tend to agree that $23K is a lot for a 318 car, however if it is as clean as you say, has been very well maintained and shows ZERO signs of any rust underneath or in the trunk area etc....If we're talking truly "clean survivor" status...then high teens maybe low twenties is not out of the question.  :2cents: But just know you're paying "top dollar".
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014 - 10:55:40 AM »
I agree with the others 12/15K, $24,000 is the "pie in the sky" asking price. 

I bought my 1970 Barracuda all original 318, auto/air/high impact color, needing some rust fixed and running for $10,000.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline cele

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014 - 11:25:09 AM »
Thanks, I had a feeling it was a lot.  Everybody wants top dollar, however, it's a game.  I'm not great at playing the game.  I mean, the guy wants 23k and it's not perfect.  It's in really great shape, but not perfect.  The bottom fender damage cracks are small now, but who knows how bad it can get.  This dealer is a very high end dealer dealing with cars worth anywhere from 20k to a million dollars.  The place is huge, clean, and probably resembles a building that Jay Leno would have.  There are original Super Bees and Ford GT 500's in this place!  The owner and dealers are nice and they don't have an attitude.  They are allowing me to use their lift to inspect the car and can pretty much do anything to the car they I would like for a fee.  I'm thinking about vintage air and safer seat belts, and they can do it.  The vintage air price was not overpriced and they are not high pressure salesman.  The price is probably high because it's parked next to cars worth 6 figures.  The owner of the dealership even told me that they are selling the car for the 2nd owner who is going through a divorce.  So, the owner needs to make money and so does the dealer.  The price is just too high.  Any advice on how to negotiate the price ?  Thanks for all of the great info. !
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014 - 11:27:54 AM by cele »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014 - 11:30:40 AM »
That explains why the asking price is so high. The dealer wants to make money for himself as well as the owner. His commision is at least 10% off the top and sounds like he has a lot of "overhead". :nono:

Before trying to make a deal on this car, do a little shopping around, maybe post a "want ad".....don't be in a hurry to over pay for a car. These cars are not all that rare and there are better deals out there :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014 - 11:36:01 AM »
Look at this similar car that sold with a asking price of $16,500. http://carsonline-ads.com/colsite/col?use=UC3_ViewPosting&cmd=showPosting&postingID=70352

Offline cele

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014 - 03:39:37 PM »
Thank you !  Last question, I only drive 4K miles per year.  Is the 318 Challenger reliable, or am I asking for trouble.  I want nothing more than to have a classic as a driver.

Offline buster1

• GRAND COUPE YELLOW
  • RODNEY LINDNER
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014 - 04:12:23 PM »
i think the Value of a car is also, what you do NOT have to do to it. If the Motor is OK  (GET IT CHECKED out by a Mechanic!!)  the Trany is good,  Tires, Glass,  Wiring should look Good and Not Messed with.  Look at it on a hoist too,   check it really good for Rust.   If all is OK,  I think 23k is Not a bad Buy.   IF you need to do an overhaul, You could spend 5k on everythink to do it,  , so  Just Considier everything.  If The Car could be improved with only a Nice paint job , it would certainly be an invistment, and improve the Value too.   I have had Two Barracuda's  one with a 318,  but I did put a 340 in it, which greatly improved the resale.   good luck 
RUMBLE

Offline cele

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014 - 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah, this is tough.  I checked out the one for sale that sold.  I think it sold for around 16 with some rust issues and could probably use some other things or even paint.  The car I'm looking at is much cleaner, you can almost eat off the engine compartment, it's that clean, but there are the issues I mentioned. A car for 16k can need 3k in work  and say you get the car for 15, that's 18 total.  If I can get this car for 20 and it doesn't need much, this might be a good deal.  Wow !  Thanks again to everybody - what to do ..... ?  Then again, there might be a clean one out there for 15 or so.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014 - 05:16:03 PM »
Don't rush.... :2cents:

Offline cele

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014 - 05:55:54 PM »
Exactly !  I will shop and learn to deal !  Thanks everybody !