Author Topic: blair spot weld cutters which one is best?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Haddixj

blair spot weld cutters which one is best?
« on: February 27, 2014 - 04:17:31 PM »
The rotobroach or the heavy duty double cutter ones? I am going to be doing both quarters, upper cowl, and a front frame rail. Read about them but not sure which to get. The rotobraoch looks like more of a machinery tooling and maybe a better end product? Anyone like one or the other that has done some metal work?

Offline Edison1970

Re: blair spot weld cutters which one is best?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014 - 06:31:55 PM »
I bought mine from a local paint supply shop for about$20. One thing I noticed is theydon't make them like they used to. The older cutter I have was dull but the newer one, the teeth would break off before it could get dull.

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014 - 09:45:00 PM »
Buy the more expensive ones. Money well spent. Air chisels help to.

Daniel
www.ebodyproducts.com

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014 - 10:25:42 PM »
Just don't try the "rotary cutter" style. They are like a small hole saw but as soon as one tooth hits the actual weld instead of sheet metal surrounding it they break. It was all I could get on short notice when doing my floor pan. I ended up using an air chisel.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline Surfmichaels

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014 - 11:55:33 PM »
I did my front inner fenders using the cheap harbour freight ones. Not great but totally doable, so cheap it wasn't a big deal to break one.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014 - 06:33:45 AM »
I've never used them to remove spot welds but a rotobroach set is great for drilling holes.  Very nice, very clean holes.  My only complaint about the Blair set I bought is removing the bits can be a major hassle.  Make sure you spray something (WD-40 or similar) on the threads before you put them on and when you try and take them apart.

Offline Haddixj

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014 - 08:52:47 AM »