Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.

Author Topic: Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.  (Read 4497 times)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.
« on: April 14, 2005 - 05:09:24 PM »
Hi All,
  I'm not sure if this is the right board for this thread, but I'd like to make this a sounding board for any opinions of selling a car on E-Bay, or selling at Carlisle. I can see E-bay having a broader base of buyers. It also helps that I don't know what to ask for my car, so I could let the market take over. The bad is they have fees based on the selling price. I like the idea of the buyer being able to see my car first hand at Carlisle. I'm just wondering about financing there. How do I know a check is good if that's how they want to pay. I'm open to any and all comments, especially if you have experience at either. Thanks.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005 - 05:25:48 PM »
You're selling which car?!!!! :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig:

Alright, it cannot be the Chally, so I'll answer this for you.  I'd say stay away from eBay when you're trying to sell a car.  A lot of the people who end up the high bidders decide at the end of the auction, when they're the highest bidder, that the car isn't for them. (expect a response like their kid placed the bid, not them.)  I definitely agree that you would get more hits on eBay, but it's uncertain as to whether or not the car would actually sell the first time it's placed online.  Whereas, if you were to place it up for sale where people are able to check it out on a personal level, your chances of getting it sold are much greater.  The potential buyer likes being able to talk with the seller in person so they can get all of their questions they have about originality and what not face-to-face. (At least I prefer that much better than what some guy on a computer writes.  Remember: he's trying to sell a car, so sometimes people will lie to get a sale. :mad:)  As for payment, I'd try to work something out so you could make sure the money will be there when you cash their check.  I hope this helps you man. :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005 - 05:34:58 PM »
Thanks Street,
  Are you interested??? All offers welcomed.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005 - 05:49:29 PM »
 :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :eekbig: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(In MEK's car's vroom vroom voice): Please don't sell me.  I won't ever spit and sputter for you again.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 - 05:54:43 PM »
MIKE ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Whats going on man???? don't sell it unless you need to sacrafice it for family needs, and theres no way around it. You have an awesome one of a kind car and no doubt will you regret selling it. Sometimes things are rough, you just ahve to step away and get back at it. Dont get stressed out over the car or you will hate it. Give us someinfo on whats going on.. Take care.. Nick

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 - 06:51:31 PM »
  What are you talking about?!?!?  Ok, I only know of 2 cars that he has.....the new mustang and the chally.  He better be selling the mustang!!!  But, why would he want to do that at carlisle??? I'm sooo confused.  Mike.....what are you talking about?!?! 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005 - 06:56:42 PM »
Mikey, you got some 'splainin' to do......

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005 - 09:36:58 PM »
I'm thinking E-bay

It's frustrating but I believe you would get more green on a worldwide market instead of some tire
kickers at a show pointing out all the flaws.

You might have to list a couple of times....

What's your E-bay rating? Mine is 5 :newsad:

I'm working on it though :thumbs:

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005 - 11:05:31 PM »
  MEK, do the right thing bud. If your Challenger must be sold, i'd let it at least get it well noticed at Carlisle before going the eBay route. April, hurry up and get rid of those polka-dots before it's too late... :ack:

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Robb

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005 - 12:10:12 AM »
For all the nutty bidders out there, theres just as many nutty sellers in the EbayMotors section.

Maybe Limit your bidders to folks with 95% rating or better, or need to email you if they have less than 5 rating points

THAT AD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT NUMEROUS PICS. !!!!

Its like what 80$ to sell a car on eBay ?    40 to list and 40 to pay for sale completion ?   Cheaper than the want ads in the paper around here thats for sure.

Ive bought a couple from eBay.   Both were post-auction negotiation sales    Be sure to have all your paperwork handy and try to get the Money Quick.  Had a guy try to sell me a car and have me take it without a title.  Took him 2 months to come thru.

Im selling a car pretty soon on eBay will be listing in a week or so ("your fathers Oldsmobile", nothing you guys would like)  If you want I can let you know how it goes and what the costs are these days.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005 - 02:40:41 AM »
Hey Robb,
  Thanks for all the info. :thumbs: As for why I want to sell... I basically can't take anymore. My last straw broke the other day. I've poured my heart and soul into that car. I wish I had nice before and after pics. like some of you. Anyway, the thrill is gone. The enjoyment I've gotten can't come close to matching all the problems and aggravation I've had. I guess saying this this won't help me sell it. :grinno: I'm just not cut from the same mold as the rest of you. I'm so disgusted I can't see straight anymore. I see anger management classes in my future. :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005 - 02:53:02 AM »
MIKE!!!!  :gripe: :boxer: What are you talking about mate!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  :-\ :-[

You CAN'T leave! :nono: Think about it for a while (like 20 years) and then see what happens, don't do anything you'll regret mate.  ;)

The decision is yours but you know how we all feel.  :worship: :beer: :wasted:

I wish this was posted 15 days ago. (April 1st).  :( :'(
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005 - 06:02:15 AM »
I can't imagine what problem has driven you to this, but like NZ says, these cars may one day become untouchable.
I'd say if you are that frustrated ( and I'm sure we all have had something drive us to the edge ) please consider just "tucking it away" for a while. Who knows, in a few months you will wonder why you put it away anyway!

I think as you see, you have lots of support here - think it over ( as I'm sure you have )
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005 - 07:09:59 AM »
Sometimes, when it seems you just cant take anymore working on your car, you need to step back and take a break for a few weeks. Then make your decision to sell. I've sold some cars for the very same reason you are talking about, and regretted it later.

As far as selling on e-Bay versus Carlisle....I've done both.  In my opinion, e-Bay is the place to generate the most $$. The sale may be  bit harder to close since often it will be a sale based on pics and description.

That said, I sold a Cuda clone convert last year at carlisle for what at the time was OVER market $$...guess what...now that car would be a bargain! Something else for you to consider, your car is gaining in value just sitting in the garage.

The buyers for the vert gave me a cash deposit, and transfered the balance to me electronicly on Monday, and a transporter picked up the car the next week from my house. I would not accept any type of check and release the car until the funds CLEAR the bank and are in your account. As the old saying goes....cash talks, all other BS walks!

Another consideration might be to trade for another e-body....maybe something in a more "done" condition. Maybe spend a little $$ in addition to your trade to move up. Now that I've said all the above....details on your car? Where are you located?

Good luck whatever you decide.

:beer:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005 - 09:47:24 AM »
MEK are you pullin' our chain??  You have a great deal of support here . . . . for whatever you need!!   :beer: