Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.

Author Topic: Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Bart

Re: Selling a car on E-Bay vs. selling at Carlisle.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005 - 10:06:33 AM »
How about a nice no problem slow-maro :-[
Bart
1970 Cuda 383
2008 Titan
2010 G37s
1996 Advantage Victory 27 502ci
2013 HD Roadking

cudahob

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005 - 10:21:45 AM »
I'm not in the loop here, WHAT!!  :eekbig:

I don't know you MEK, but lets talk this out.

One frustrated day, I sold my Charger because I needed money to pay off my Jeep, seemed right at the time.
I spent $25,000 of 1980'ds money on it and I wasn't satisfied with how it ended up.
I sold it for $4,500. in 95.

My reason was sound, I keeped convincing myself, but the truth was buried in my head.
I had no direction in what I wanted it to be, a street car or drag car, it was half a$$. I had no money to fix it again, or the time.
Pure frustration came to a head one day. It keeped overheating even with a new 4 core radiator. I checked everything, even pulled the heads off, checked the water pump, fans, (I put a electric fan in front), thermostat, what the hell.

I put manual steering in it for the drags, it sucked. The brakes even brand new 11' I couldn't stop the 4080lb monster. You needed to bench press 300lb to stop.

I was an old car even after the money I spent on it.

Aftermarked stuff was not available for B bodies like today, plus the internet suport. OMG it's heaven today.

As it drove off with another person behind the wheel, I knew I made a big mistake.

I know now that it was me not the car that was the problem, the original car that mother Dodge made was perfect.
I put to much demands on it, and I didn't know everything. But from a High School kid to mid 20 somthing it taught me many life lessons.

Controling passion, thinking things out, my mechanical abilities, understanding problems, self-esteem, pride, and my ego.

If I had it today I would take the R/T drive train out and restore it back to stock. Then I'd buy a Charger R/T body and rebuild it to somewhat stock.

The fun never stops, it's only money. What else is there??

Offline Screwy Squirrel

• Those guys think I'm crazy.  And I am too!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005 - 10:31:49 AM »
COME ON MAN!!!! Don't sell it.  You will regret it.  Every car has bugs... even new ones.  Leave it alone this weekend and relax a while.  Play with it next week and the problem will hit ya.  Then when it's fixed and your out cruzin around,  you'll be sayin "I'm sure glad I didn't sell it".  Belive me, there were many times I wanted to sell my olds,  but slowly and shorely I'm gettin them worked out.  And there's nothin like seein people givin thumbs up on the street!!!  Take your time, have patience, yu'll get it right...   :thumbs:

DON'T SELL IT!!!!!

later
joe

Offline 72cuda

• mmmmm, boiling gas
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005 - 11:28:14 AM »
Think about this, Mike:

Maybe you have a vision of what your car should be and you're frustrated that you can't get it there. Money, time, whatever. To hell with it. Maybe you can learn to enjoy the car for what it is. Walk away from it for awhile. If you make a decision in the heat of emotion, you will very likely regret it later. But if it's time to let go, don't get hung up on it. It's just a car. Don't direct that anger at yourself. It's not worth it.

And, these were not show cars to begin with. Slapped together then patched up by hungover guys with seam sealer (hey, sounds like my house). So what if it's not perfect.

I don't know. All I do know is that life's too short.
72 Cuda 383 4-spd

Drive it like you paid for it

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005 - 11:49:02 AM »
Mike - I would def list it on ebay. I'd begin with the "least" you would accept for the car.. & no reserve & let it ride. This way, you won't have kids peppering the buy it now on you. It's difficult enought to get you listing fee back from ebay.. so don't make it easier for the scammers.

I'd advise serious bidders to look at the car, or contact me before placing a bid since it's a no reserve auction. That's what I'm going to do. I agree that Carlisle you're going to get exposure, but tire kicjking exposure. People want super deals there not fair market value. All IMO.

Post it here first to gauge the value.. maybe.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005 - 01:28:03 PM »
Mike with Chally                                         Mike without Chally

Drive it up to Carlisle and we'll have a cc.com project!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005 - 01:32:01 PM »
Maybe one other option is to post it on a few of the classified sections on various web sites like this one, Moparts & others. The ads are free, & you can mention that the car will be at Carlisle for everyone to inspect. It may give the car more exposure & lure a few more potential buyers to Carlisle with cash & a trailer. There's no way under any circumstances I'd take a check at a car show & sign over the car. Any sale I've ever done, cars or parts, has been cash & money orders only, & it will continue that way unless I know the person. I don't think eBay is a horrible way to sell, but the advice others stated makes sense.

Don't know your car or the reason to part with it fully, but give some long hard thoughts to what you do. There are plenty of people, includng myself, that have had car selling regret stories. If you can, just close the garage door for a while & let some time pass to see if you still want to sell. I did that for a couple of years when a body shop screwed me over years ago. I lost interest & didn't do a thing to any car except my daily driver. Left it in storage & had only drove it 2 or 3 times in a 3 year stretch. I'm glad I still have it & didn't sell it off. Now it's almost a mental patient obsession to do something to it & I have almost no time to think about it.

Good luck with your decision, Bob
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005 - 02:42:43 PM »
Mike, I'm stunned to say the least. None of us can feel what your obviously going through right now. But it must be huge to say the least, if you wish to talk to us buddy, pm or e-mail (pandjsmopars@adelphia.net), I'm sure all the rest here will tell you the same thing. It just seems to be more than frustation with the Chally? Just be absolutely certain selling is the ONLY answer before you go that route. Here for you - Jim
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005 - 11:20:51 PM »
Well...WHAT HAPPENED??

'70 Charger 500

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005 - 11:26:37 PM »
I think this was a normal question thread gone horribly wrong, with its author now trying to tease us. It started as a generic question, but became specific, right?

I hope I'm right, at the least.

If not, how much are you asking? ;D

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2005 - 03:32:06 AM »
I think this was a normal question thread gone horribly wrong, with its author now trying to tease us. It started as a generic question, but became specific, right?

I hope I'm right, at the least.

If not, how much are you asking?

Moparmatt,
  I'm not teasing. I'm still thinking about selling it. I don't know how much to ask really, that's why I'm leaning towards E-bay. Let the market decide.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2005 - 10:27:57 AM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: Don't sell it!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:'(
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005 - 02:20:33 PM »
I'm not teasing. I'm still thinking about selling it.

DON'T!!!! You will regret it later!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005 - 02:49:58 PM »
I appreciate all the opinions, but I can't see how I would regret it. I have NO intentions of ever going down this road again. Not with a Mopar or any old car for that matter. There comes a time when a hobby turns to pure insanity. I think I crossed the line. Burpin, if you want a car that you just look at, mine is for you.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005 - 09:26:45 AM »
 :dontknow: Sure sounds Mike that you already made up your mind to sell ? None of us can know where your coming from and can't know what's in your head so to speak. But as far as I know you have but the one car that is complete, right? So where does the statement of a hobby becoming insane come from? And unless your willing to talk about what's eating at you here or via pm or e-mail, we can't understand. I too think you will regret selling, but we all have different vibes when it comes to Mopars or cars in general. Don't know where your frustration or hang up is coming from, but why not hang it on the wall and give it a good long thought, but I'm sure you have already done this? This is just all so suden and puzzling to us Mike, just met you at Carlisle last year, but I consider you a friend and no matter what I hope that remains. Stay in touch bud. - Jim
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger