Author Topic: What got you hooked on cars?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
What got you hooked on cars?
« on: April 14, 2005 - 07:00:09 PM »
For me, it would have to be the first car show I ever went to.  I fell in love with muscle cars the moment I saw them.  How about you guys?

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: What got you hooked on cars?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005 - 07:04:00 PM »
I just answered you question in the QAQ thread, but I'll post again here. 

My brother, who is 13 years older than me, was always working on cars.  No particular brand, he just loved cars. I do remember him owning a 68 charger back in the early 70's.  Anyway, he was always toting me around somewhere in those muscle cars and I have loved them ever since. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005 - 07:08:04 PM »
I think I was born into it...my dad, all my uncles, and a lot of other relatives(male and female) are into cars, as a child I liked 57 chevies and 32-34 rods. I use to go in the garage and see my challenger parked with junk on it and never knew what it really looked like. Then when I was about 12, I started hitting the shows with my old man and saw challengesr, cudas, roadrunners, superbees, other mopars, and knew they were something special....I started reading car magazines and doing research and before I knew it, I was a full-blown car nut.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005 - 07:09:52 PM by Killer_Mopar »
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005 - 07:24:15 PM »
air .... seriously
 about the time I started breathing I was addicted to them , no one in my family cared about cars , no influences just pure hardcore genetics 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CudaEnvy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 - 07:31:01 PM »
My Dad was a drag racer in the 60's, raced a 55 Olds in one of the stock divisions. He was always wrenching on cars, buying me Hot Wheels, street racing and such. His friends were into it too. There were always Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines around, I used to try and draw all of the cool funny cars and hot rods in those magazines, so I guess I just learned that cars are cool from him!   :thumbs:

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 - 07:59:29 PM »
Funny, it was just part of me :dontknow:, my dad did some circle track racing out on long island but well before i was even a spark, he was in the auto parts business & did a little wrenchin, just whenever someone was out doing something on their cars I was there :P, wax a mag, tighten a lugnut, whatever,a guy across the street had a sweet 57 chevy, then a 65 GTO(yea not mopar but my dad had a list of c bods)  started saving up when i was 15, had the car 3 months before I got my liscence, was really the only thing I wanted(well almost)  ;) Rich.

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005 - 08:20:28 PM »
I think it was a friend of mine in junior year of HS that was into old cars and he showed me some pics.  Then I talked to my dad about it and he had some pretty nice cars pack in the day (65 4 spd GTO and 63 4 spd Bonneville, 65 Commando Barracuda) so I got into it even more and it just took off from there.  Then I got my dart and I just got into mopars mainly, but my fav car still would be a 65 GTO.  Thats the only car I would rather have then an E body.  Rusty cuda are you still on Long Island?

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005 - 08:34:11 PM »
In Emerson NJ now, but still venture out there often, relatives are spread out from queens to holbrouck, usually make a visit to one of em every few weeks, ware abouts are ya? Rich.

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005 - 08:36:52 PM »
Being a tenager in the early 70's I remember hanging out in town on the circuit with 67 cuda and all the muscle cars just  :burnout: cruising till all hours at night.  No shootings no stabbings just loud cars and cute girls wanting rides .  Oh the memories  :thumbs:  Thats all it took for me to get hooked.
Proud Owner of a 69 Barracuda

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005 - 08:52:50 PM »
For me it was my destiny laid out before I was even born. My dad and brother were both into cars and motorcycles racing. As a young kid I was always tearing things apart and putting them back together (sometimes). As I got older my attention was drawn to bigger and more challenging items . By the time I was 14 I had exceeded my dad and brothers level of competence and was working at the local gas station as their night mechanic.By 16 I had rebuilt 2 cars for myself already and was working at a gargae as a line mechanic. From there I never looked back or doubted what I would be doing for the rest of my life, be it cars or motorcycles. The smell of gas, grease and burnt rubber is the comforting smells and sounds of home .....and as we all know
THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005 - 09:15:23 PM »
I decided I liked Mustangs when I was 15 but wasn't really into it

Then my buddy came home in a '73 'CUDA340 (winney gray with black stripes and black interior)

It wasn't just the look though, the sound and the speed were just awesome :thumbs:

Mustangs were out after that :nono:

I had about a 10 year detour with Pontiacs and then I got my first Mopar

GTOs and TransAms were cool and all but 'CUDAs were it for me

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005 - 10:31:45 PM »
I bought my first car, the rusty '69 Charger, at 14.  I guess you can say I stumbled into the hobby at an early age. :)  From the time I actually understood cars, I always loved seeing that '69 sitting behind the owner's garage thinking to myself how cool that thing would be fully redone.  Fast forward three years and I ended up finding my awesome deal on my current '73 Chally..end of story. :grinyes: :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005 - 12:40:27 AM »
Vanishing Point  8)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005 - 06:14:14 AM »
Family - Mom's brothers
All the uncles talk, fastest car they ever saw was one uncle's Cuda.
Just caught on from there - Since I've had a drivers liscence, even if it was a heap, I've had a V-8 toy.
And I've had some heaps.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005 - 07:55:19 AM »
Rusty cuda I am in queens NYC.  I am always looking for any other mopar people around the city.  Surprizingly I have met a bunch of E body people around here.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.