Author Topic: I'm sure the Dealership would have done their dash caps the same way.  (Read 2241 times)

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
LOL... looks like you won  :biggrin:
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Duct tape is an under rated tool.    :grinyes:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
Yes it is...  :smilielol:

And cleans up really good with WD-40 for any sticky spots too.  :2thumbs:

I still need to clean it up alittle but I'm happy with it.  :bigsmile:

Offline slapshot

Looks great. Did you remove the original pad off the frame or is the original pad under the dash cap?
Where did you order the dash cap from?

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
Looks great. Did you remove the original pad off the frame or is the original pad under the dash cap?
Where did you order the dash cap from?

Thank you.

I left the pad in place.
Here is what it looked like just before installing the cap. I shaved down the risen areas around the speaker hole and the cracks.

I purchased it thru a vendor from Amazon selling the "AccuForm" brand.

With the original pad in place, it fit perfect and there is no hollow spots under the cap. I can push down on the dash cap and there is no movement except the normal cushion feeling from the original dash pad.
By not purchasing a new dash pad and shipping of a core, I now have an extra $900+ to spend on other stuff to get my cuda road worthy.  :bigsmile:
I purchased new fuel lines, brake lines, FatMat interior padding, exhaust tips, subframe connectors, convertible switch and lots of hardware just from the savings of this cap  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014 - 10:56:57 AM by CudamanTom »

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
Wow, that looks great!
- Jerry

Offline Haddixj

looks good what kind of glue and prep did you do? looks really clean and a scuff from a scotch bright?

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
Thanks guys.

looks good what kind of glue and prep did you do? looks really clean and a scuff from a scotch bright?

One tube of RTV adhesive silicone came with the cap. IMHO one tube is NOT enough. Just looking at it I didn't see how one tube would be enough. So I got another tube, clear RTV adhesive (Dow Corning 3145).
I shaved down the high points on the dash pad. Then I used sandpaper to mare up the edges/openings around the dash pad and the dash cap. Do a test fit of the dash cap to be sure of a good level fit. I bet I installed and removed my cap 6 times for test fitting. For the top and around the defogger/speaker holes, you want just a little snug. Not tight but not loose.
Wiped it all down with Windex (removes oils and dirt).
Probably an hour or two just on the prep. No need rushing it.

I applied the adhesive double more than what was instructed. A bead about the thickness of a pencil/pen.
Then slipped the cap on, clamped it down and tape her up.

So if you plan to do a dash cap, I would highly suggest this.
About a dozen clamps, duct tape and an extra tube of silicone.
I followed all their directions as suggested and I think it was pretty simple.

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
Here is a pic of an example of the size bead I layed down around the outer edge of the cap and around the defogger holes and speaker hole.
Took all of both tubes of silicone for a nice thick bead.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: I'm sure the Dealership would have done their dash caps the same way.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014 - 02:20:15 PM »
Great job, wish I would have gone this route.

Offline dpcd67

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014 - 12:46:24 PM »
Yours looks very nice; I, too, have the Accuform pad but have not glued it on yet. I did test fit it and it fits perfectlly. My original is broken up much worse than yours and I will first glue the pieces back into place so I don't have any big unsupported places in it. And a couple of places that were curled up so bad that I cut them off, I will fill with expandable  foam.  I wondered about the little tube of glue they give you but the instructions say to only glue it around the edges.
good job.
1963 Dodge M37 (3)
1967 Dodge WM300 (2)
1971 Plymouth Duster
Bought new in '71; I wanted the Challenger but they were $2850; too much $ so I got the 318, 3 speed on the floor, Twister Duster for $2100.
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
I ain't done yet.

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014 - 01:05:17 PM »
Yours looks very nice; I, too, have the Accuform pad but have not glued it on yet. I did test fit it and it fits perfectlly. My original is broken up much worse than yours and I will first glue the pieces back into place so I don't have any big unsupported places in it. And a couple of places that were curled up so bad that I cut them off, I will fill with expandable  foam.  I wondered about the little tube of glue they give you but the instructions say to only glue it around the edges.
good job.

Thank you.

Yes, it says around the edges, which is what I did, including the edges around the defogger and speaker openings. That area is always viewed from outside the windshield when parked at events or just out and about.
I promise this. You will feel a lot better having/using that second tube.

Sounds like you're prepping it right.  :2thumbs:

I will add. Do not use rubbing alcohol to clean the cap of any silicone or tape sticky that might get on it. It will discolor the cap. I tested a small area under the cap and turned it a lighter shade. I figured if I made a mess, I better try a test underneath first.

Offline AU6pack

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014 - 11:59:52 AM »
Awesome result.
Craig
Melbourne, Australia
1970 Challenger 416 6 pak
Resto thread - http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=114787.0

Offline 6771plymouth

• john
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014 - 07:18:07 AM »
ummm so I got a new dash pad no old dash pad on frame so it just gets glued down? its a dash pad and not cap that is a difference right?